New for 2014 at Holiday World...

Well, Holiday World has announced, at 2AM nonetheless ( :wacko:) their new-for-2014 attraction...

It's a swinging boat ride, like Viking Fury. Hey, at least it isn't yet another waterpark addition...also they will have Fireworks on Friday nights now, apparently, and ticket prices will not increase in 2014.

• Like 3

I kind of agree...still, the video said "Starting with The Mayflower"...so, while this could be all there is in 2014, there could be more to come in 2015 or something? This doesn't look too expensive, so perhaps they are saving up for something...

...like being able to pay off a partial owner to avoid a sale? Or to pay for additions out of cash flow since financing may be difficult to obtain so long as ownership is disputed and being litigated?

Very possible as well...although if that is the case, which it could well be, Holiday World needs to end this "who owns the park" thing ASAP before they are really penny-pinching and taking major damage by not being able to add any noteworthy new attractions while their main competitors, Kings Island and the soon-to-return Kentucky Kingdom, do just that and steal away their customer base.

(Sigh)...I really hope Holiday World can come out of this legal battle in good hands, and without taking too much damage. It really is a great little amusement park, combined with perhaps one of the best water parks in the country, and it's clean, friendly, reasonably priced, and usually well-run for the most part. I'd hate to lose it, or watch it become a shell of its former self...

• Like 2

They list next year`s additions as costing $8 million.

http://www.holidayworld.com/news/holiday-world-sets-sail-8-million-expansion

It looks like this is just the beginning of a multi-year expansion to Thanksgiving. This quote from the same web page:

“We’re not finished with Thanksgiving,” says Eckert. “Just as it’s our American tradition to serve a bounteous Thanksgiving meal, there are more ‘servings’ planned for the coming years.”

I'm curious to see if this is wise strategy or blind faith.

HW will take an attendance hit, no matter what, from the re-opening of KK in Louisville in 2014. Most of HW's draw comes from the Evansville and Louisville areas. Curiosity is going to prompt Louisville families to give KK another go... thus saving an expensive tank of gas. If Hart pulls it off, it may have quite a ripple effect on HW. (If Hart is wise enough to take customer service levels through the roof and keep prices low at KK, that could blow the lid off the place.) Really KK was never a threat to HW in the past because, quite frankly, it was a bad park.

But maybe behind the scenes HW thinks a large new addition next year would be a loss because the park will lose focus to KK's re-opening. Perhaps they think the year following they can go for the jugular.... who knows?.

But bottom line, this doesn't follow the norm that HW has set in the past. Will was a "let's do something for everyone" kind of guy... he loved to "WOW!" folks. That mentality is what grew HW to what it is. Their typical trend was to add something to the dry park, the water park, and something for those that didn't ride. This, unfortunately, doesn't have the "WOW!" factor I was expecting.

But again I am curious... is that on purpose?

• Like 3

This is fantastic news! This is a small family park (let's hope it stays that way). Ride like this are great additions for a park the size of Holiday World. I've only been there once, but I was totally impressed with the atmosphere. I felt like I was part of the family...plus the free drinks and sunscreen....and good times...what else could you ask for???

I'm curious to see if this is wise strategy or blind faith.

I think it's a little of both since things are in flux within the family. They are hedging their bet on a smaller, cheaper attraction to satisfy their customers, and having blind faith that customers will choose them for their travel destination. KK will pull customers the first year, but since a big chunk of the park will probably not be operable when/if it reopens, some customers will opt to go to Holiday world instead after their KK curiosity is fulfilled...I'm sure KI will pull some of those customers too if they venture to drive that far. I'm hoping that the economy turns around so that travel is not so expensive. I for one, will most likely hit all three parks at least once next year, if I don't have to get an extended loan to afford the gas...

Sure everyone was probably hoping for a dark ride in HALLOWEEN land, but this is great, Name is perfect for the location.

Great addition to Holiday world.

Now lets hope for a continued sense of urgency on who owns/runs the park:

Lets think also how simple a theme park has to be ? Holiday world has been doing this since it was Santa Clause land, and in my opinion from the latest land Thanksgiving doing it well for a small time seasonal "theme Park"

It looks to me like 2014 could be the "year of the flat ride". It seems like a lot of parks are adding flat rides vs. coasters, and honestly I see this as a good thing. Its nice to see parks adding rides that are good family type rides and allot for variation away from coasters if so desired. A classic flat ride is always a welcomed addition to any park in my book!

Mr. hart will just have to run one train on thunder run to keep up with Holiday World. I think he can pull that off. Holiday world is over an hour away from KK, their water park is pretty good after their most recent expansion in the chang area. I am sure parents won't want to be in the car 2 and a half hours to drive to holiday world over KK.

• Like 1

Mr. hart will just have to run one train on thunder run to keep up with Holiday World. I think he can pull that off. Holiday world is over an hour away from KK, their water park is pretty good after their most recent expansion in the chang area. I am sure parents won't want to be in the car 2 and a half hours to drive to holiday world over KK.

Depends on perceived value. Will was a genious when it came to marketing to a *certain* demographic in Louisville... specifically lower middle class incomes. The popularity contest will be won by the park with the best perceived value... not the one with the most trains running.

This season, HW did little to promote the way it once had - and I'm sure it had rammifications. If HW is smart, they'll get a friendly "face" back on TV next year, and re-emphasize those monetary "values" like freebies (soft drinks, sunscreen etc - which actually ARENT free, rather perceived that way.) That perception will off-set any apprehension folks have based on travel costs.

• Like 3

When Paula Werne was asked on facebook if Giraffica would be operating next year she said: " Sorry, I don't have an update." hmmm Intersting they don't know if one of there major rides will be operating or not.

Anyways, I'm happy to see an addition to HW after so many years have been focused on the water park. I wish it was more thrilling, but I guess that will have to wait until the lawsuits are finished.

When Paula Werne was asked on facebook if Giraffica would be operating next year she said: " Sorry, I don't have an update." hmmm Intersting they don't know if one of there major rides will be operating or not.

Anyways, I'm happy to see an addition to HW after so many years have been focused on the water park. I wish it was more thrilling, but I guess that will have to wait until the lawsuits are finished.

^^ They are probably still waiting for Cedar Point to decide what to do with Shoot the Rapids.

What's going on with Giraffica? Is there something wrong with it specifically, or did they just close it as a reaction to the StR accident?

^^ They are probably still waiting for Cedar Point to decide what to do with Shoot the Rapids.

What's going on with Giraffica? Is there something wrong with it specifically, or did they just close it as a reaction to the StR accident?

From what I understand, Giraffica hasn't been opened all year and was closed towards the end of last year. Not sure whats up but It has been down every time I have been to the park in the last 16-18 months.

From what I understand, Giraffica hasn't been opened all year and was closed towards the end of last year. Not sure whats up but It has been down every time I have been to the park in the last 16-18 months.

It has been open this year. I have ridden it a few times. Its just been closed the last few weeks.

Edited by VoyageRider