KIC 10th Anniversary Event PTR

Hoeter

This visit was long overdue, being that the last visit was the Banshee announcement-exactly one month ago today. With that in mind, I was looking forward to the events planned for KIC's 10th Anniversary ever since Don posted the itinerary several days back. Before I get to the details of this visit, I want to thank Ryan, Dane, Ronny, and the rest of the KIC team for allowing us a place to discuss Kings Island and the amusement park industry in general. Additionally, a BIG thank you goes to Don Helbig for allowing us the opportunity to participate in special events that the general public does not get to take part in. I know a lot of members will probably say the same as I have. Again, a big THANK YOU to both the KIC team and Don for all that you have done and allowed us to do today.

Enough with the techno mumbo-jumbo horsenuggets and on to the details of the day! I arrived around 1pm, right as the Todd Frazier Q&A was concluding and was in contact with IndyGuy4KI about meeting up. I met up with him, Brian5475E, Dieseltech20, TheDevariousEffect and others at the Reds Hall of Fame Grille. I took this opportunity to sample some of the food that this establishment offered as well as catching the Bengals game. I ended up having the boneless wings in a spicy garlic sauce. 12 wings in total for $11.99, the wings were hot and delicious, and the price was comparable to that of a similar chain such as Quaker Steak or B-Dubs. I was satisfied! Kings Island got it right with the restaurant and I hope it's a staple for many seasons to come.

After our meal, our group headed over to the train- a nice, relaxing way to allow our stomachs to settle after filling them up. Station wait for the green locomotive. It's been awhile since I've been on the train, but Pikachu has a friend out there with him now! Once the trip was over, we headed towards Coney Mall and our group got in a ride on The Racer, red side. 1 train wait towards the back of the train. Love the ride, it's a classic, but those seat dividers make it uncomfortable for me being a bigger guy and all. After this ride, we headed to Adventure Express, 5 minute wait and no noticeable sewage smell.

We went through Wolf Pack next and it's amazing to see how different the whole area looks without Son of Beast there. The controls for Son of Beast are still intact in the drive box from what I saw in one of the zones. Waited 25 minutes for our tour. At this time, our group decided with time to kill before the Banshee construction tour, to hit up Congo Falls. First time I've been on that ride in years and I was probably one of the luckiest on the boat, I hardly got wet at all! After this, since there was still a little bit of time to kill, half of the group headed to Delirium while me, TheDevariousEffect, his girl, and Exscream Team headed to the Festhaus to take in some AC, refreshments, and "Rock and Roll Never Forgets". Kings Island has really improved the quality of their live shows in the past few years and it's great to see that!

At this time, Don met up with us in Action Zone for the construction tour. I am amazed by the change in elevation and the sheer size of the project that is underway. I'm also amazed with the progress made thus far, just one month after being announced.

20130908_163618_zps1202f3e1.jpg

20130908_165317_zps38cef38f.jpg

20130908_165038_zps28edf2f6.jpg

IMG_20130908_163249_zpsad82f6cd.jpg

It was after this that our group headed over towards The Beast for the backstage tour of Diamondback. On the way there, I decided to take advantage of the Dollar Days promotion by getting me a blue ice cream. I'm 26 years old, have been coming to the park for years, and I just now try it for the first time. Hard to believe. We met up with Don here at 5:30 and I ended up getting some pretty great shots of the ride from this angle.

20130908_173432_zps5fe8b6e0.jpg

20130908_173528_zps55ada109.jpg

20130908_173254_zpsc4ab577c.jpg

20130908_174917_zps18a1a5ea.jpg

Once the tour concluded, the group split up. I went along with NoChickens, MrsNoChickens, and a few others with us heading to Diamondback. 20 minute wait for brown train, row 6 and 7. Amazing as always, did not notice any jackhammering or anything. We then met up with IndyGuy4KI and the others and then proceeded to the International Restaurant for the Don Helbig Q&A, lasted around 40 minutes. There were some very good questions asked.

20130908_191526_zpsfbea09ac.jpg

20130908_195125_zpsc3cc7265.jpg

After the tour, the entire group headed back towards The Beast for the final rides of the summer. 2 train wait for the very last train of the

summer, first row in the rear car. Amazing as always, the entire train was in an uproar coming into the station. A semi night ride I may add.

20130908_201439_zpseffacbf0.jpg

20130908_202259_zps957ccb75.jpg

All in all it was a great time! If you met me or if I talked to you at some point today, it was good doing so. I'm absolutely horrible with names in general. Cannot wait for Haunt to start here shortly. A midnight ride on The Beast is LONG overdue. I'm also long overdue on some Z's and 5:30am comes quick. With that in mind, until next time!

Edited by Andrew
  • Like 15

Sound like a great day, although I have to disagree with the live entertainment at the park. Rock and Roll was unfortunately the worst show I have seen not only at a park, but in general. Sounded awful, looked bad, was very boring to watch, lighting was bad, singers looked uninterested and it was so apparent they were using backup vocals.

Kings Island, your a great park and it is awesome you hosted this event, just wish your shows were better.