Drinking Alcohol in the Parking Lot

KIK

I am surprised how many people here would go out of their way to call attention to and potentially get in trouble people that are causing them no harm. Perhaps I am downplaying the risk of grilling too much so I will give you that. Do you really have an issue with someone having a few beers before going in to the park or while taking a break? Personally I am a live and let live kinda guy and I have a few drinks before I go in every now and then. Heck I even took in a flask a couple of times. The issue I would have is if you are the one responsible for driving home after your visit. In all fairness it is park rules. Just don't be a drunk lunatic...remember there are children and families.

• Like 4

Straight from KI's web page regarding the "alcoholic beverages at Kings Island" policy:

"Guests must be at least 21 years of age to purchase, possess or consume alcoholic beverages at Kings Island. Valid State issued identification or valid driver's license is required upon each person purchasing, possessing or consuming alcoholic beverages. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted while in line for any ride."

All I see is no alcoholic beverages in line. Don't see anything about the parking lot.

• Like 4

^ State liquor laws would preclude you from bringing your own alcohol to consume in a public place, so no park rule is needed. The park can and will take action against people violating state or federal laws.

I have no idea whether the park's liquor license allows patrons to carry their on-site purchased alcohol into the parking lot.

^ State liquor laws would preclude you from bringing your own alcohol to consume in a public place, so no park rule is needed. T

Except KI's parking lot is not a public place.

It is privately owned, but it is most assuredly a public place. The public may have to pay a fee to enter, but it is still a place of public accommodation.

• Like 1

Kings Island has cameras every where, including in the parking lots. Another thing park security enforces is the rule against having grills. I have seen guests try to use a grill at the picnic tables outside of the season pass building and were forced to stop. One guest had just placed the charcoal into the grill and fired it up and could not understand why they were not permitted to use it. All they had to do was look behind them at all the trees and the fire hazard it presented.

It would be nice if the park offered a nice picnic grove area where you can grill out near the parking lot. But I guess that would offer too much competition to the eateries inside the park...

I guess at the next bengal game police should arrest everyone tailgating?

To answer the byline below your question, yes. It's a jurisdictional issue. If a municipality has an ordinance banning drinking in public, it will typically only apply to public areas - sidewalks, public parks, streets, and so on. The parking lot of a sports arena, being private property, does not fall under this application. It's much like the driveway of a residence, just writ large - I can drink on my driveway, as long as I don't venture on the sidewalk, and I can drink on an arena's lot, given the ownership allows it and I am not violating any other ordinances in the process.

http://www.quora.com/Why-is-drinking-alcohol-allowed-during-tailgating-outside-sports-venues-in-the-US

From what I know is that grill is prohibited because of cars (gasoline) and fire hazard itself with possible damage to other cars around you. As for drinking alcohol, the best thing you can do is conceal your drink in a coozie but people looking to get a buzz and come into the park are too stupid to figure this out and get busted by security or mason police or a guest in the parking lot concerned about safety. It only takes one phone call and security can be there in two minutes and watch out. They can detain you and contact mason police to possible arrest you. So just be smart and drink water or pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I guess at the next bengal game police should arrest everyone tailgating?

That is a different situation. The county owns all the riverfront lots near Paul Brown Stadium where tailgating is not only allowed but often encouraged. I'm sure there are legal exceptions in place to allow consumption of alcohol and grilling in those lots.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

I have no problem with people drinking in parking lots, amusement parks, bars, etc. However, I always wonder who is driving home? This is something I don't understand, you can get a D.U.I to make the city or state some money and teach you a lesson , but their not going to stop bars, restaurants,etc. from serving people without a designated driver or a cab ride? I lost my best friend to a drunk driver, please don't drink and drive my friends. I always tell people a 20 dollar cab ride is much cheaper than a D.U.I or God forbid killing yourself or another.

• Like 3

At the end of the day, if a dude wants to throw back a beer or two from a cooler in his own vehicle in the parking lot, go for it. It's not hurting me, and it's not hurting you. Besides, after the pounding you take just to park, you should be able to do eat and drink whatever the hell you want in your own car.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, if a dude wants to throw back a beer or two from a cooler in his own vehicle in the parking lot, go for it. It's not hurting me, and it's not hurting you. Besides, after the pounding you take just to park, you should be able to do eat and drink whatever the hell you want in your own car.

Have you ever posted a positive statement? You seem to have a lot of bitterness in all your posts? Just curious?

• Like 2

I have no problem with people drinking in parking lots, amusement parks, bars, etc. However, I always wonder who is driving home?

Pretty simple really, or at least for me.

My wife doesn't drink so I take care of the initial drive sober and she does the driving home.

This system has worked well for us over the past 20+ years on all of our excursions (ballgames, parks, etc.).

Disclaimer : This post does not imply that I drink in the Kings Island parking lot :ph34r:

• Like 2

Mason PD might have an issue with people that might be downing a couple in their car. Depending on the number of beers downed, you might be issued a DUI or having an open container, both of which are serious charges. Mason PD actively patrols the parking lot looking for break ins and other offenses. Once while working at the north parking tolls, there was an accident out front on Kings Island Drive in which Mason PD found several opened cans of beer and he was charged with DUI.

• Like 1

If someone wants to drink in the parking lot it's not really my business. However when I come back to my car to find a half full bottle of beer wedged under my front tire waiting for me to run it over. I'm not happy. In a perfect world though people would throw their trash away in one of the many trash bins.