6-alarm Fire at Seaside Park NJ Boardwalk

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/09/12/breaking-firefighters-battling-boardwalk-blaze-in-seaside-park-nj/

The fire reportedly started at the Kohr Brothers at 1800 Boardwalk on the FunTown Amusement Pier around 2:15 p.m. It quickly reached five alarms before jumping to six shortly before 4 p.m.

As of 3:20 p.m., explosions had been reported within the building and multiple units were being called in to the scene. A large plume of black smoke was visible in the sky over much of the boardwalk looking north towards the pier.

• Like 1

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/09/seaside_heights_boardwalk_fire_kohrs_ice_cream_stand_ablaze.html

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=675231895829659#!/JerseyShoreHurricaneNews

This is just so sad. First Sandy, now this.

Just posted by the Jersey Shore Hurricane News (2nd link for their page): "Fire continues to spread down the boardwalk since last video. Moments ago. The south wind continues to gust. It appears that multiple structures remain fully engulfed. Firefighters are attempting to save structures to the north. Jack and Bills, a popular bar, is ablaze from this vantage point atop Ocean Terrace condos at the corner of Stockton and Ocean."

• Like 1

By sure to watch the live stream on the first link I gave in a previous post. The fire has spread a lot, and has consumed much of the boardwalk. Several of the amusement park rides are in the middle of the blaze (the Drop Tower can be easily seen sitting in the middle of the fire and smoke). I can't express enough how sad I am.

• Like 2

The report said it was caused by faulty wiring that had been corroded by Sandy underneath one of the buildings. When they reconstructed the boardwalk and buildings from the storm, didn't the electrical inspectors inspect all of the wiring for damage from all of the salt water blown in by Sandy? Salt is highly corrosive and does not take much to corrode the wiring. Also, how much of the damage caused by the fire would be covered by insurance and not by the State? I would guess the shops and city would have full coverage insurance, including fire, on the buildings and boardwalk.