Racer runs backwards?

CP&LERR Fan

This topic seems rather deja vu.

At any rate I am from the old school who experienced the original Racer with both sides going forward and has welcomed with open arms the back to basics of running both sides forward again-it just seems that this brings the ride back to the original concept of both trains racing each other. While the backwards racer was a nice novelty, it was a novelty that wore off quickly for me.

• Like 4

Interpret as you will the following...

As you can see Don edited it 3 times but on Facebook you can see what the original post was.

Dedited.png

Sounds like he was just changing his mind about the wording. I don't see anything necessarily revealing about this...

What intrigues me is, "We could have continued running one side backwards"
  • Like 4

• 3 years later...

But do you remember what was said on wlwt back then?

https://youtu.be/lhiWLxrPdvQ

By the same guy, different apparent reasons.

Also- while I could very likely be wrong. I know the majority of my friends always preferred to go to the backwards side. And as a less reliable comment.. i seem to remember lines for backwards to routinely be longer than the forward side whenever I was at the park pre 2008.

Sorry I should have added some winking emoticons to my post.  I never bought into the "nostalgia" reason, although I understand that they would never want to say it was because of any sort of legal advice that the change was made.  

The 2013 Facebook post is interesting though.  It makes it sound like the 2008 decision was more of a step back to fully consider the safety issues.  It does not seem out of the realm of possibility that it could return someday.

Racer is bound to be around forever, so maybe in another 10 years... 

Bumping an old thread because I saw this reply to a tweet earlier this month...

https://twitter.com/KingsIslandPR/status/777230309704294400

So I guess, we all had it wrong.  It wasn't nostalgia after all.  It was ridership!

Would it kill the Twitter crew to use an exclamation point or address a poster by name? Dead horse, I know, but every tweet from @KingsIslandPR sounds like a scolding in my head. 

Screen_Shot_2016_09_27_at_9_04_38_AM.png

Meanwhile, at Disney Parks...

Screen_Shot_2016_09_27_at_8_58_43_AM.png

In any case, while I'm certain the park has the actual data that we don't, I do find it hard to believe that ridership was declining specifically and notably on the backwards-running side. Defies common sense, doesn't it?

By the way, do they even race anymore? That, for sure, was one of my biggest stinks last few times I visited. Such an obvious, simple, natural thing being overlooked for what... capacity? As if Racer has a three hour queue and needs to forego its "selling point" to keep lines moving? Only thing stupider is when the lights are left on in the Backlot Stunt Coaster or Beast tunnels. C'mon...  :blink:

• Like 5

The Racer has been racing the majority of the times I rode this summer (I've visited over 50 times this summer, and probably average two Racer rides per visit). Other than times when one side was closed to save on staffing, there were only two or three times they sent us out without the opposing train. I saw it happen on other trains while waiting in the station about as many times.

This is almost always due to an unusual hold-up on one side, either a protein spill or someone needing extra time to load or unload. Also, even on these occasions, they'll usually ask the train that is ready if they want to go or wait to race, and attempt to go with the riders' wishes.

• Like 5

Wasn't the height limit 44" at one point?  I know Adventure Express was 44" but wasn't Racer?  I think that was a kick in the nuts when they raised that.  It was before Flying Ace so when they raised it after riding Beastie you had to grow 8 inches to get another coaster.  I just don't understand why some parks like Camden in WV has a low limit for Big Dipper that has a huge air time drop and Racer and Adventure Express are so restrictive.  I know its insurance and manufacturer but the rides used to be lower. (at least Adventure Express was)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't the height limit 44" at one point? Prior to the 2001 season Racer was less than 44".  Beginning in 2001 it  was 44".  Now it is 48"

IIRC 2000 and prior the height requirement was something less than 44", it was changed to 44" in 2001, and now is 48".

• 2 weeks later...

With the way Kings Island and Cedar Fair are  taking it's guest feedback nowadays (bringing back Winterfest and adding another wooden coaster), I think it's a not too far off that The Racer could go backwards again. Perhaps when they have their next big coaster drought they might consider making it go backwards again. Maybe Cedar Fair will do the same with Rebel Yell and Gemini.

• Like 3