Racer runs backwards?

CP&LERR Fan

Blondy is not correct. This was a CF decision. Nothing to do with PTC requirements or having to call PTC for permission. At this point, you can have all the conspiracy theories you want, but the reality of the situation is it was a management decision to return the ride to its original state.

• Like 1

And years ago a well respected person on these boards had said that Ohio enforces that the rides ride the way the company intends them to. My memory is hazy from those days but it was said (or maybe just inferred) that the coaster company made a statement that they had to run forwards. But who knows any more. That poster is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

And said poster is sorely missed.  

Great American Scream Machine, a John Allen designed wooden coaster at Six Flags Over Georgia will be running backwards this year.  It features three bench PTC trains not unlike the Racer (although it only has four cars per train, while The Racer features five cars per train).

Great American Scream Machine

• Like 3

PTC recommends that their coasters do not run backwards, I got the answer from PTC. Ohio, NC and SC all require amusement parks to follow guidelines set by a ride manufacturer. So either PTC flipped on this or Georgia law is different or Six Flags isn’t following guidelines/law(highly unlikely). 

On to a more important issue:

If someone doesn’t mind, fill me in the missing poster I haven’t been reading and posting much lately but have thought I noticed an important user missing from the boards. 

I hope I am mis-Interpreting. 

8 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Blondy is not correct. This was a CF decision. Nothing to do with PTC requirements or having to call PTC for permission. At this point, you can have all the conspiracy theories you want, but the reality of the situation is it was a management decision to return the ride to its original state.

I absolutely guarantee you that they didn't at least turn them around without PTC's blessing.  What happens when someone gets killed on a ride?  The park tries to push the blame off onto the manufacturer.  Just imagine the rock-solid defense that PTC would have if they had documented that the park was going against their recommendations by running it backward.  

Don't get me wrong - IG4KI is right - this was absolutely a management decision, but to think that the park would in any way go against manufacturer's recommendations is nothing shot of insane.  (See also the addition of seat belts)

• Like 1

I agree with you @BoddaH1994. I am just assuming that in the early 80's they would have talked to PTC about turning it around before doing so in the 1982 season. 

After recently speaking with the park about this on different occasions, it would not be difficult with no special recommendations/permissions to make the change if CF wanted.

• Like 1