What could KI do to each ride to improve it?

thoe124

2014: Paint Flight Deck to have black supports and orange track, and rename it to Bat's Revenge.

2013: change ride names (Flight Deck to "The Bat Revived" with a Orange support and black track.

This doesn't fit too well with an "Action Zone" theme or "October Fest"... so maybe "The Bat"

What is the obsession with renaming FlightDeck to The Bat would that really complement Banshee all that well?

Well, you asked how KI can improve EACH ride, but that's a lot, so I'll stick to coasters and select others:

Racer: PAINT, PAINT, PAINT. It looks totally unloved, and I want the (arguably) most important coaster of all time to get the love it deserves

Vortex: Repaint the rails. The blue is fine, but the orange is looking yellow. Compare the lift hill to the station and it's a night and day difference.

Diamondback: Tear it down and build something else (hey, you asked how it could be IMPROVED, not for something realistic)

Firehawk: improved load/unload process. Nighthawk moves lines MUCH faster in my experience and has one station...

Invertigo: PAINT THE BLOODY SIGN THE RIGHT COLORS!

FoF: Better queue video. The current one, while fun, is dated and for locals and enthusiasts it is undoubtedly stale.

Flight Deck: Lap bars. I see no reason why a non-inverting coaster with sides and a floor in each car needs OTSRs.

Backlot: Pay the licensing and bring back Italian Job name. It's on the control panel and the ride is obviously based on the chase scene in the movie. Just let it have the name.

AE: Price is Right yodeler song on the main lift. Yes, I'm serious, I would love that.

Beast: Less trims. Possibly some loudspeakers near the ride to make a roaring sound every so often. Not necessarily every cycle, but occasionally.

Flying Ace: Uh... Two Trains? Brake run, station, lift hill, that's 3 blocks, so it can run two, right?

Woodstock Express: Give it more recognition, it's a great coaster for what it is, and it deserves more love.

Delirium: MaxAir ride cycle

Grand Carousel: Fix that beautiful Wurlitzer. It makes me cry on the inside every time I see it in its current state. I have a vinyl LP of its music, and it is lovely. I want to hear it in person.

Boo Blasters: Add a pre-show, and turn on the sound effect for the guns, but make it quieter than it was. Also, have a laser pointer in them so you can see where you're aiming. Or at very least, add in a properly-calibrated sight.

Banshee: Be finished and open now because I want to ride it :P

• Like 5

Racer: PAINT, PAINT, PAINT. It looks totally unloved, and I want the (arguably) most important coaster of all time to get the love it deserves

Please, Please!

Vortex: Repaint the rails. The blue is fine, but the orange is looking yellow. Compare the lift hill to the station and it's a night and day difference.

If they are going to redo it, just repaint the entire thing.

Diamondback: Tear it down and build something else (hey, you asked how it could be IMPROVED, not for something realistic)

This is the one thing I disagree with you on...

Firehawk: improved load/unload process. Nighthawk moves lines MUCH faster in my experience and has one station...

Would a third train work?

Invertigo: PAINT THE BLOODY SIGN THE RIGHT COLORS!

God that is really annoying, how I would love if they did that.

FoF: Better queue video. The current one, while fun, is dated and for locals and enthusiasts it is undoubtedly stale.

I like the queue for FoF, i find it cool and entertaining, but I think it would be nice if they updated it and made it more for the 21st century.

Flight Deck: Lap bars. I see no reason why a non-inverting coaster with sides and a floor in each car needs OTSRs.

They did remove the seat belt thingy, so maybe we shall see that in the future.

Backlot: Pay the licensing and bring back Italian Job name. It's on the control panel and the ride is obviously based on the chase scene in the movie. Just let it have the name.

I remember reading some place that Cedar Fair signed off on some contract when the purchased the parks that Paramount's ride licensing was permitted through 2018 and was open for renewal.

AE: Price is Right yodeler song on the main lift. Yes, I'm serious, I would love that.

But I just like the theming restored on the ride and if that means playing the price is right on the lift then so be it.

Beast: Less trims. Possibly some loudspeakers near the ride to make a roaring sound every so often. Not necessarily every cycle, but occasionally.

​That would be awesome, instead of the "bum, bum, bum, keep you hands down through out the entire ride" Ug the most annoying thing ever!

You can hear it in the queue even.

Flying Ace: Uh... Two Trains? Brake run, station, lift hill, that's 3 blocks, so it can run two, right?

Indeed waiting for that ride with my brother it takes for ever.

Woodstock Express: Give it more recognition, it's a great coaster for what it is, and it deserves more love.

Make it The Beastie Again!

Delirium: MaxAir ride cycle

I think Delirium's is fine.

Grand Carousel: Fix that beautiful Wurlitzer. It makes me cry on the inside every time I see it in its current state. I have a vinyl LP of its music, and it is lovely. I want to hear it in person.

No arguments here.

Boo Blasters: Add a pre-show, and turn on the sound effect for the guns, but make it quieter than it was. Also, have a laser pointer in them so you can see where you're aiming. Or at very least, add in a properly-calibrated sight.

That would be nice, and I find the air pressure thing in the queue room really annoying.

• Like 1

Cedar Fair had the right to continue certain Paramount licensing for a limited time, for a fee. It chose to end that earlier than it had to. VIACOM wants a bloody fortune for its licensing. I'd not expect that any time soon, if ever.

As for Firehawk, no additional capacity is gained with the third train. It was cannibalized for parts long ago, by Six Flags.

Eiffel Tower- Old floodlighting restored and used.

Carousel- Wurlitzer 157 organ restored. Old faux marble design painted on the organ again. Entire ride repainted with fresh look (Same paint job, just touched up) to look like it had just been worked on by Carole Lanter (woman who was hired to repaint the rounding boards in 1969).

Racer- Repainted with Red undertrack, blue rails, and white wooden structure.

Get rid of the chopper "scene" on BLSC and make it a 2-circuit ride;

Are you suggesting having a single train run two laps on it? That would kill capacity on a ride that already has low capacity to start with...

Woodstock Express: Put the tunnel back in, rename it The Beastie, never change the name again, how many names does a rollercoaster need in its life? Plus there is a woodstock express at seemingly every Cedar Fair park, make KI's unique.

But it wasn't always The Beastie. It was Scooby-Doo for eight years before being renamed The Beastie, so why not rename it to its original name?

I'm pretty certain a second train would also require a transfer track.

They can't use the scooby name unless they pay for it.

Two trainsn on Arial chase? Can you say stack?

I would find stacking preferable to being totally unable to even start the load process until the train returns to the station. True, people would sit on the brake run for a bit, but even if it only ups throughput by 10%, that's still 10% faster moving lines.

• Like 3

Lol...tooooo many changes to list...

Biggest change, change park ops and bring someone like Bill Spehn or one of the Area ride managers from CP to KI to change things. WindSeeker loading procedures, DB stacking, ridiculous extra procedures on platforms/rides, ect....And no more minors in rides...

But again, tooooo many changes..

• Like 1

Biggest change, change park ops and bring someone like Bill Spehn or one of the Area ride managers from CP to KI to change things. WindSeeker loading procedures, DB stacking, ridiculous extra procedures on platforms/rides, ect....And no more minors in rides...

No more minors in rides?

Mason is not Sandusky.

Good Luck staffing the park.

• Like 5

Honestly I don't know why KI has not decided to build dorms and fill international slots at the park...It's not like the park couldn't do this, and honestly getting minors out of rides would get rid of a good bit of operationals (safeties) and other stupid things I've seen blue tags do in the park

KI is in a major metropolitan area with a sufficiently large labor force, so local staffing is probably much cheaper. Also, KI's staffing needs are more sporadic than CP's, making an on-site staff less ideal.

If minors can operate motor vehicles on public roads, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to operate amusement rides with appropriate training and supervision.

• Like 4

This seems fun I'll have a go at it :P I'll just post for rides that need some TLC

Firehawk: Decrease the downtime it has. Seems like every time I go to KI it breaks down. It also looks like it's getting time to give it a fresh coat of paint. (wouldn't be sad to see it replaced)

Delirium: Can we make it last a tad longer? Seems like its over just as it's getting good!

Flight of Fear: New preshow! Turn up the air conditioning on inside the que! Make the launch more of an event with lights and all!

Invertigo: The sign...please change it....

The Racer: Blue one needs to go backwards again! Plus a nice coat of paint would be fantastic!

Vortex: Love the ride but darn it hurts! Is there a way to decrease the amount of whiplash?!

Flight Deck: Needs a new coat of paint! Wish it was a longer ride.

BLSC: Update the themeing! Turn the water back on.

Adventure Express: Turn the fog back on.

What procedures are ridiculous and extra, just curious.

What procedures are ridiculous and extra, just curious.

Flight Deck - Add themeing and repaint. Think it would be nice to have it rethemed as The Bat and make that area back there a dark forest theme with it and Banshee.

Adventure Express - Get all the effects working again

Racer - Make one side go backwards again

BLSC - Get all teh fire and water effects back

Drop Zone - Have it spin the entire way up instead of just one rotation.

Flight of Fear - All lights out int he bowl and starfield in the launch tunnel.

Beast - Lessen the mid course trims.

Boo Blasters - Aside from a whole new better dark ride, jsut make the lasers visible so you know where you are shooting.

WindSeeker--Needs someone in controls constantly, the delay of having the controls op check restraints, then go back to lock/relock gates/restraints creates delays. Also their loading procedures and cross checks are slow.

Firehawk--After their operationals in whatever it was, 2011 or 2012 when the procedures changed, it decreased capacity by reducing the interval even more. The only reason the changes happened was because of operationals (safeties), which could have been prevented if the crew didn't suck that year (also from what people tell me, mainly minors...hint hint)

All coasters--Auto platform gates with gates enable switch on the platform, not the guy in controls. The gates should open with station stop, and close by ride op on platform when necessary, or reopen as necessary, not waiting for controls. Also auto gates do increase capacity by a margin as there is a constant movement of people off and on, not waiting to clear basically, and then move. I think DB like every B&M coaster has this, but I can't be tooo sure, but rides like Vortex/Beast/ect. all don't

The station clear, all clear deal--If a high clear is present, that means that the order of clears has gone through, all ops have scanned their sector, and they are ok to give the clear. If the train isn't ready to dispatch as it's not right interval, we call a standby, or if there's an issue, the train isn't cleared. As soon as it's ready, we call a ready, clears go up in order, controls calls clear. Hearing a bunch of clears on platform, especially like at DB, how do you know everyone said clear, and it's also redundant..The three seconds here and there do add up, theoretical capacity can be reached safely when you reduce redundant unneeded things from procedures.

There's a few more I'm sure but those came to the top of my head first...And these are all changes that CAN happen easily, and actually will help...

• Like 1

For all this mention of Flight Deck... I'd tear it down. I love the idea of turning that back area of the park into a themed area with Banshee and all. I just think that a lot of things would need to be fixed to make Flight Deck great (New paint, make it longer, better theme, better safety!).

I'd love to see Racer go backwards again, and a new coat of paint.

And yes, the Invertigo sign.

Boo blasters just retheme in general. It honestly feels (to me at least) like they pulled the whole theme out of they're butts. It'd also be cool if they'd fix the guns.

That's all I can think of right now.

WindSeeker--Needs someone in controls constantly, the delay of having the controls op check restraints, then go back to lock/relock gates/restraints creates delays. Also their loading procedures and cross checks are slow.

Firehawk--After their operationals in whatever it was, 2011 or 2012 when the procedures changed, it decreased capacity by reducing the interval even more. The only reason the changes happened was because of operationals (safeties), which could have been prevented if the crew didn't suck that year (also from what people tell me, mainly minors...hint hint)

All coasters--Auto platform gates with gates enable switch on the platform, not the guy in controls. The gates should open with station stop, and close by ride op on platform when necessary, or reopen as necessary, not waiting for controls. Also auto gates do increase capacity by a margin as there is a constant movement of people off and on, not waiting to clear basically, and then move. I think DB like every B&M coaster has this, but I can't be tooo sure, but rides like Vortex/Beast/ect. all don't

The station clear, all clear deal--If a high clear is present, that means that the order of clears has gone through, all ops have scanned their sector, and they are ok to give the clear. If the train isn't ready to dispatch as it's not right interval, we call a standby, or if there's an issue, the train isn't cleared. As soon as it's ready, we call a ready, clears go up in order, controls calls clear. Hearing a bunch of clears on platform, especially like at DB, how do you know everyone said clear, and it's also redundant..The three seconds here and there do add up, theoretical capacity can be reached safely when you reduce redundant unneeded things from procedures.

There's a few more I'm sure but those came to the top of my head first...And these are all changes that CAN happen easily, and actually will help...

Just stop. Kings Island is not Cedar Point and it never will be. Just because it works in Sandusky doesn't mean it will work in Mason. Just ask some of the former full time employees. The main words in the title of this thread were "improve rides at Kings Island." Not "turn it into Cedar Point."

• Like 5

For all this mention of Flight Deck... I'd tear it down. I love the idea of turning that back area of the park into a themed area with Banshee and all. I just think that a lot of things would need to be fixed to make Flight Deck great (New paint, make it longer, better theme, better safety!).

How exactly is Flight Deck unsafe?

EDIT: BeastForever beat me to it!

Edited by XGatorHead 8904
  • Like 2

^Why can good operational practices not benefit KI...You're telling me you can't have practices that make it easy and safe to run rides close to their theoretical capacity thus pushing more people through the rides, so more rides per day, more value, and also, the less time someone spends in line waiting for a ride, the more time they have on the midways during the day between rides, thus more possible spending, ect...

Besides, these low capacity rides can run so much smoother. I'd love to revamp monster for instance...it's a nightmare at KI...could run so much smoother.

If I could take a 500-900pph theoretical capacity and instead of running 300-800 or so...make it run really close to that capacity...

• Like 1

How exactly is Flight Deck unsafe?

EDIT: BeastForever beat me to it!

For all this mention of Flight Deck...(New paint, make it longer, better theme, better safety!).

What, better safety? When has Flight Deck ever had a major incident?

Never a major incident, but I've ridden a few times where the restraint has undone a click (once it fully released) and I don't feel like getting rid of the seatbelts was the greatest idea for that sort of ride. Just in my opinion.