What could KI do to each ride to improve it?

thoe124

^Your complaints about ride operations is getting rather annoying. Nobody honestly cares if you spent a summer working 70+ hours a week, slaving away and working the dang Corkscrew. You're the typical Cedar Point ride host, with the typical "Everything we do is right and better than any other park." mentality, which is flat out rude and wrong.

Kings Island's ride operations and Cedar Point's operations are not THAT much different. Sure, Cedar Point maybe emphasizes capacity more, but to say Kings Island doesn't care about it is bull. Remember Cedar Fair's conerstones? Sure you do. They are safety, cleanliness, courtesy, and service, which are all tied in by integrity. These conerstones are pounded into every associates head at BOTH parks, including Kings Island and their rides department. This means safety, efficiency, cleanliness, customer service are always aspects of the job.

I have been to both parks many, many times and let me tell you Cedar Point's operations are FAR, FAR from "perfect," not saying King's Islands is.

-Cedar Point takes off trains during rainy weather, which is quite the opposite from Kings Island. Kings Island runs EVERY single train no matter the weather conditions, if it is mechanically possible. The last time I went to Cedar Point, a slight drizzle set Millennium Force to one train. ONE. That is absurd.

-Cedar Point ties off certain rows on sparse days, just so their operators don't have to check those restraints. Whats that beyond laziness? Kings Island does not do this.

-The ride operators are friendly and interactive at Cedar Point? Hahahaha, standing in a corner of the Gatekeeper station with a microphone humming the Super Mario Bros theme song does not count as guest interaction my friend. I once heard a operator at Raptor say, "Raptor is read for dispatch, but it's guests aren't." How much more blatantly rude can you be? Seriously the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard a ride operator say.

Stop taking such a high horse on your Corkscrew experience, over generalizing the operations of your park. Its nowhere near perfect like you tell yourself. I'm not saying they are bad, but to completely bash Kings Island's practices with them? Really?

Go away and hit you "interval" on Corkscrew.

• Like 8

1. Welcome to KIC...

2. Someone cares if I worked 70+ hrs...I do, I was proud of what I did, again it wasn't just corkscrew...Maybe half of my time was Corkscrew...I've worked every ride manufacturer (minus Chance and Mondial) at CP, and various rides. Hell one month was spent at TL of Monster/Witches Wheel.

2. CP does have better ride operations...plain and simple...CP isn't the best in ride operations, as I've been to some parks that do stuff that blows my mind. Plus some rides have crazy capacities and whatnot, like Space Mountain..easily 2k/hr...or Everest & the Disco Yeti...

3. There are flaws at CP, even my own ride this year got hit with some stupid rules that are unnecessary...but compared to KI, theres less of that at CP. Also, you mentioned all CF employees follow the cornerstones, and as you say "safety, efficiency, ect."...Where's the efficiency? Oh wait before that you said KI doesn't care about that bull with capacity.

4. Units/Trains are taken off in rain because it's a safety issue. Take Arrow coasters for example...In rain their brake runs get, wet...which means they can slip through the train and enter the next block, and possibly cause a collision (see Maggie)...Safety first..Also look at KI ride ops, they don't even let their own employees transfer off their own rides, maint. has to. Also in the rain some rides that COULD run in light rain don't because they can't run full units/trains. Also KI doesn't run the rides in as you quote "EVERY single train no matter the weather conditions." So rides run in high rain and thunderstorms? Ok....Lastly again Millie goes down to one train due to safety...There are no full brakes to setup the ride, and no MCBR, so the safety brake and unload plat need to be cleared in case the train were to slide through and over the drive wheels. We transfer units off for SAFETY reasons, because as you put it, it's in our cornerstone, and as a ride op, this is the #1 priority. Only rides unable to transfer off were Iron Dragon, Gemini, and I think Blue Streak, not too sure on that last one.

5. Why is chaining off rows a bad thing? If the ride doesn't have a line to fill all rows manually locking several restraints and checking them wastes time and can actually cause a late dispatch, thus slowing down the line even more. For example, Corkscrew at night is practically a walk on by 1900. If I had them all opened, I would be checking all cars, and locking/buckling several empty restraints (probably more than half at times, mostly 1/3). So at night, we chain off the two middle cars, and leave the rest. It's not lazy, it's smart. If crowd picks up, we'll unchain them, but that doesn't happen much unless rides near us go down mechanical.

6. There are times when we aren't nice..But if you had to deal with the crap ANY parks ride ops deal with it's pathetic, and leaves little hope for the human race. I have literally seen guests try to get into restraints for rows taped off due to mechanical failure and say they were fine. I have seen a guy try to ride with his Chia pet on a ride, and I have seen someone try to use the excuse of the baby backpack restraint to ride with their infant daughter on a ride...so understand we can get irritated, and really annoyed with guests. We will however try to make the best of it, but it's sometimes hard. Also you're ride ops aren't shining people on the mic at times either, see Vortex/WindSeeker crew. Or the lack of talent on DB's crew which we have all seen. Not all are great, not all are bad either. Some of the people I know on the Gatekeeper crew are great on the mic. Also if you see all the papers in the window, those are guest critiques that mention their name specifically as doing their job well/ect...See how many the crews have, that will tell you who's doing a good job...Again this all goes back to the 80 hour work weeks in the middle of summer for minimum wage with responsibilities of easily 1k+ lives in your hands every hour. Also on Raptor, you have no idea how hitting interval is very very important. Interval not hit=bad stacking. Unless you want the ride to stop (more downtime), and then someone run all the way out to the MCBR to release the brakes, and then do the same for the brake run itself and move the trains from a setup, then send empty trains to get the ride back to regular operation, be my guest. Same goes for rides like Maggie...Wanna ride that when it sets up...be the train exiting the tunnel right into a fully closed e-stop brake, you will regret it, and probably have a nice contusion.

7. I critisize because I want to see KI better, this is practically now my home park for my last season here in the states for two years or more. Why is this taken so negatively when all these little irks of mine would just make the park better, not worse. Stick an extra op in WindSeeker and have him in controls not doing anything but, so anytime they need to unlock/relock restraints all they do is have to hit the button while the other ops do stuff. Then when the ride is locked the ops on the platform know immediately versus one op finishing checking then heading back to controls to check. So get em locked, checked, and cleared, bam, start cycle. Little things can speed up the process by a HUGE amount. I don't know why y'all flip out over this stuff. If you don't want to see improvements in ride op policies that could help you get on the ride quicker, enjoy more rides in the day, and have a better day? So y'all don't want that??? Blows my mind..

I would, but again, not for minimum wage and the stuff ya deal with...I miss it, but I wouldn't go back to it, besides my current career is amazing.

Thanks for joining KIC btw...But I don't think you understand ride operations to the level I have..most enthusiasts don't except for the bit of us that know/have been a ride op

• Like 6

I need to chime in once more. I do understand how ride ops work, just to clarify that. At CP I have seen some of the most unsafe behavior from anywhere. I have seen a girl jump down onto the tracks while the ride is in operation, and many many times when ride ops at CP don't even check all the restraints! Both of those things would get you fired at KI, Specifically once I remember at corkscrew, no one more than one restraint, so while CP is so concerned with making sure that capacity is just so great (still don't think it's any better by the way) they are being unsafe and not to mention totally rude and unapproachable, thank you

1. We can go on the track while the ride is running (like we had a loose article fall under the station). We just set the transfer and ready brakes, and went down post dispatch. Same for alot of other rides too, you don't need to lockout or e-stop for certain things.

Were the restraints intentionally closed from the previous dispatch/unused? If so they don't need to be checked per guidelines.

There are times when they are rude, I'll agree, I've even been there, but KI isn't unexcusable either. I've had several problems with people in rides/ect..I've reported on these quite well.

• Like 1

If the restraint was loaded previous cycle, obviously it was locked and checked because riders were on the previous cycle...so I don't see where you're going...You can't dispatch restraints unlocked and up. And again, like our chained off rows, you don't check those unless someone stupid tried to get in a closed row, which does happen but not often really.

^Why can good operational practices not benefit KI...

Because when capacity is stressed more than customer service, it becomes a problem. Want an example? See Cedar Point. Frankly, the ride ops at CP are rude and I always feel like I'm in the way when I'm riding a ride. I honestly believe the ride ops at CP would much rather run empty cycles on their rides then interact with guests on their rides.

^This right here. I had a restraint on Mean Streak shoved down into my arm when I wasn't looking because the ride op checking restraints was basically sprinting and hitting the restraints as his "check". Capacity is important and I love Cedar Point, but I don't care for the way some of their ride ops act. Kings Island won't ever be Cedar Point, and I don't want it to be.

• Like 3

I'd rather be checked quick, and have maybe a few seconds of pain from getting hit with a restraint, and get on and off the ride quicker, then wait in lines all day because the ops arent htting interval...

As long as it's not a staple high seat on Mantis, any other ride will always be a good ride. I've been slammed with restraints or locked in good, but I don't care about it...They're doing their job to the best of their ability, so no complaints there.

• Like 1

Hitting the interval is more important than making sure guests are confortable and checked porperly? Hahahahaha that is ridiculous.

Im not sayings Kings Island has flawless operations. They aren't. There is always something to inprove on. But the sort of mantality you have is flat out wrong, and Im positive the management team there would disagree.

Guest comfort and safety above EVERYTHING. Not hitting some interval most guests couldnt care less about.

There is a difference between working fast and working with a pace. Working with a pace is good. It gets trains moving at steady intervals, and does not hold the line up much more than if you were sprinting around checking restraints.

Getting slamed with a restraint couldnt cause injury? Tell that to the judge when a guest gets hurts and sues because of a ride op wanting to hit some interval nobody cares about.

Ride hosts should be paying attention, and moving at a steady pace, not running around checking their restraints then throwing up a clear.

• Like 3

1. KI ride ops don't move fast, at all, not even well. They couldn't even hit proper interval with 3 ops on unload and two on load, the unload side was what the ride was waiting on before high clear...

2. If there are things to improve (this) again why is it a big issue

3. I agree safety is the #1 job of a ride op

4. Again, they aren't working at a continuous pace, it's up, then down, ect...not consistent, or in best practices...Take my ideas on WindSeeker for example.

5. You're getting hit with a rubber/poly coated bar in a padded box...I think you'll be fine..

6. You can pay attention, and still move quickly with a sense of urgency (man I hate that phrase from basic training but oh well, it works)

Ive never heard this mentioned, but please paint Diamondbacks supports the same colors, why does it change from yellow to white to yellow? Oh and i had this cool idea like turn the last two cars on db backwards or something and have it like Diamondback strikes back or something. a good and cheap way to bring in thrillseekers during a future off year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

kiguy339 said "Hitting the interval is more important than making sure guests are comfortable and checked properly? Hahahahah. That is ridiculous"

Once at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom on Chang, I was trying to unlock the seats height and was told to squat to unlock then stand up straight. I squatted and the operator locked the seats. They checked my restraint while I was squatted, and I told the attendant to ask them to release the mechanism so I could stand up straight and they said " sorry you should have stood up appropriately" and off we went. I rode the ride squatted down. When I go off the ride my calves and thighs were strained from the G-force placed on them and I was in pain the rest of the day...the car was safe but, by god, we hit the interval! Should have bought the ride picture though....My friend is about 4 inches taller than me and I looked like a half pint brawler standing next to him....LMAO!

• Like 2

^^KI could only run any car of DB backwards if B&M approves of it, due to Ohio laws. Even if B&M approved of this, I doubt KI would even do it.

Also, KI most likely won't repaint DB's supports until the paint is noticeably fading. I believe the changing paint is to make the lift hill stand out more.

Ive never heard this mentioned, but please paint Diamondbacks supports the same colors, why does it change from yellow to white to yellow? Oh and i had this cool idea like turn the last two cars on db backwards or something and have it like Diamondback strikes back or something. a good and cheap way to bring in thrillseekers during a future off year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I believe hearing that the color change was to have different effects on the ride. The yellow supports near the station and Rivertown are to make the ride stand out more, while the tan supports are to make the ride blend in with the trees and "forest" further out from the station.

• Like 1