Flats

fanofFirehawk

Ones I would like to see added are something like Skyhawk over in X-Base. Would fit great as a pilot training exercise.

Where Crypt is maybe keep teh building but theme to a mine to fit the area and put in a new top spin, top scan, or sledgehammer.

Der SPinning Kegger brought back to the Oktoberfest area.

Some general rides in the Starlight Spectacular area as others have said. It's just so bare and looks tacky, especailly at night with half of it not working. Could put some classic flats tehre like a tilt-a-whirl and Flying Eagles.

As for capacity, there are many falt rides that can get good capacity on them. Skyhawk can get 800/hr. Delirium and WindSeeker get 1000. So slightly under most of teh coasters but not by too much. FoF only gets 1200. They can't load until the ride cycle is done but since they can hold 50 to 60 people on them they can keep up pretty well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, yes.

Two things:

The guard cages mounted atop the cars--those are retrofits. They were not originally part of the ride. The restraints were also modified over the years. Originally there was only a single latching straight stick...and it could be opened easily by the riders...who would never even think of such a thing back then.

And, like nearly everything else flatwise, these wheels used to operate much, much faster than the one in the video. Many years ago, Camden Park had a Ferris Wheel like that one, back by the women's restroom. It was wicked fast. So was the load\unload...one did not tarry, or one got yelled at, at best.

• Like 4

Just imagine how many times a fair ride has been assembled and unassembled. Then there's making sure the ride is firmly mounted.

Add in the ever-changing carny help. Not just ride ops/games/foods, but even maintenance. Road life is hard.

Indeed, fair rides can be very...thrilling.

One year, the amusement company for our county fair brought an Astro Wheel to the fair. A couple of weeks before the actual fair was to begin, I was driving to a town about 20 miles away, which was incidentally the direction that the fair rides were coming from. I noticed something odd in the ditch on the way and decided to take a slow drive past it on the return trip. On the way back, there it was....a ride car from the Astro Wheel was lying in the ditch.

Later on, I was walking through the county fair grounds prior to the fair and was looking at the assembled Astro Wheel, trying to figure out which car was the one I saw when, from somewhere near the top, a bolt fell out and proceeded to ping and ding along the structure until it landed on the loading deck.

Needless to say, I averted from riding that ride!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...