Valleyfair - New for 2014

https://www.valleyfair.com/what-s-new/new-for-2014-route-76

Route 76 – New area to include classic rides & all-new family coaster

Valleyfair is excited to announce the addition of a new family coaster, Northern Lights, and the development of Route 76, an all-new area geared towards families.

Flying up to 42 feet above Route 76, Northern Lights will have everyone clinging to the handrails for the ultimate family coaster experience. Guests 42” or taller, will rock and roll on over 300 feet of track at speeds of up to 43 mph. At night, Northern Lights’ dancing lights of blues, greens and purples will match the same colorful display of light that illuminate the horizon during this natural phenomenon.

The new Route 76 area will take guests back into amusement park Americana with the return of three Valleyfair classic rides that made their debut in 1976 when the Park opened. Antique Autos, a treasured favorite, returns with a new roadway in Route 76 featuring brand new Cadillac styled cars. Tilt-a-Whirl and Scrambler will also be relocated to the new area and will receive new theming and LED light packages, bringing guests a perfect mix of classic and new to ensure they get their kicks on Route 76.

img_gallery_vf14_center_LG.jpg

img_gallery_vf14_1-lg.jpg

---

So looks like Cedar Point isn't the only park to get a "Surf Dog" next year. Although, something to note, the press release quoted above says that children 42" and over can ride Northern Lights. Our version of the attraction has a 44" height requirement.

• Like 7

There's something really amusing to me about Kings Island having lost its Flying Eagles and Antique Cars, only to have several parks get flying scooters and Valleyfair get an antique car ride on the tenth anniversary of their removals. Kings Island, I am begging you for a nostalgic addition for 2015. (Seriously, I'm not even asking for our original Eagles back. Just paint a new Larson set to match the originals!)

Also, can we just take a moment and appreciate the fact that, when Ouimet said he wants to give each park a unique identity, he evidently meant the identity it had PRIOR to Paramount and/or the late Kinzel era of Cedar Fair? I am sincerely loving this. I liked aspects of Paramount quite a lot (and would still kill to ride Tomb Raider: The Ride again), but I think I like the idea of reinventing the original Taft plans for the park much, much more.

• Like 9

but I think I like the idea of reinventing the original Taft plans for the park much, much more.

You think you like it? Do you or do you not?

Also, I love the look of this addition. It seems perfect fora park like Valleyfair. I find it interesting they are instantly marketing it as a coaster. Cedar Point has made no such confirmation yet. Lastly, I like that ours gets to have a full, unique theme; while these two are just generically themed with the park logo blasted up on to the car.

• Like 1

Welp, the idea was just introduced to me a few minutes ago, so 'scuuuuse me if I haven't entirely decided what I think of it just yet. :P

I thought I liked it then, but what if I posted that and then thought, "But what if they try to bring back Thunder Alley?" Assuming I didn't like Thunder Alley, I wouldn't like it as much. Then I'd think I was indifferent to the plans.

Next time, I'll just say, "I'm tentatively in favor of this idea!" :P Sheesh!

• Like 6

I've never been to Valley Fair, but a guess is that KI produces a lot more revenue.

In last year's annual report, Mr O stated that the goal was to use a certain % of revenue on park improvement/ride additions. I don't remember what that % of revenue was, but if all things were fair across the board, the amount of revenue generated at each park would dictate how much capital improvement that park would see over a set time period. Now, not all things are fair. Cedar Fair likely sees cetain parks that allow them better revenue generation down the line w/ big capital improvements than they might see elsewhere, so they will likely use revenue generated at one park, or a portion there of, to provide capital improvements at another park above their "fair share" over the chain's cycle. If Cedar Fair believes the return on capital improvements is going to be smaller at Valley Fair, then they are not going to see big capital expenditures at the same rate as Carowinds, Kings Island, Cedar Point, Kings Dominions and Canda's Wonderland.

• Like 3