Boomerang Beach

DanielRadsgrl

I went to PKI yesterday and I astonishly went to the water park. And I was talking to one of the guys who surfed like every weekend there all day. And he told me that they told him the Water park name and it was boomerang beach. And there going to make the wave pool bigger and take down a lot of the slides like the tubes because they can fit more things back there. That's what he told me I don't know if it was true or not.

Today I made my final visit to Waterworks since I will be camping next weekend, while on the lazy river I talked to one of the lifeguards, she told me that they were not taking out the water park, only taking out a few of the older slides, adding some new attractions and updating the entire area, at least this is what she told me. She seemed pretty excited about the changes to be taking place and said that everyone would like it??? Only time will tell.

Funny, all I keep hearing is that they are removing the Waterworks Waterpark, and that if I like Waterworks Waterpark now then I'll love what they are doing next year. Labor Day sure will reveal many things for all of us, won't it? Until then I'll just keep my sales going on selected merchandise, readying myself for the impending closure.

Edited by TraderJake

i hope PKI can come up with a better name than Boomerang Beach. It just does't have any catch to it. WaterWorks at least has more catch than that. Why can't they think of somehing good, like Atlantis Cove, or something like that, which they could use as a basis for theming. that and if anyone wants to see a really cool waterslide that goes through the middle of a shark tank, visit http://www.atlantis.com . I think some theming like this, or some slides like this would really help out PKI's waterpark.

The paramount park in CA has already announced they will be changing their waterpark name next year to Boomerang Bay. This would make sense about the rumour for the name change here. I go bodyboarding at wipeout beach almost every day and got to talking to some park security and they mentioned that Paramount made a deal with Bill-a-bong clothing company and that it may be used somewhere in the new name. There will be cabanas, full bar service, and a wait staff that will bring you orders to your chairs. Don't forget this will be a "waterpark resort", according to Paramount so the rumours seem to be on track.

I have been to the Atlantis. The slide is ok. The hotel is what is fascinating. Kings Island slides are much better than the Atlantis.

I find that hard to believe, considering none of PKI's current water slides shoot you through a frickin shark tank. Give me a break, PKI's current slides cannot compete on that level, and everyone knows it. I would be happy if PKI put in some really well themed slide or slides, because I think they would go over really well, and in all honesty, theming helps to add excitement to the experience.

Funny, all I keep hearing is that they are removing the Waterworks Waterpark, and that if I like Waterworks Waterpark now then I'll love what they are doing next year. Labor Day sure will reveal many things for all of us, won't it? Until then I'll just keep my sales going on selected merchandise, readying myself for the impending closure.

Labor Day sure will reveal many things for all of us, won't it?

So far it has not sad.gif looks like we'll have to wait, probably until tommorrow

-Murphz

The announcement will come out this week.

This is just my opinion, but I think that it would be really cool if the new water park was Cajun-themed and it was the location of Bubba-Gump Shrimp Shack.

I don't see how PKI can make a credible Australian water theme park. I had Australian roommates when I lived in Japan and learned much about their culture. They love surfing and beer drinking - and are very friendly people.

We'll have to wait and see what PKI shall unveil this week. Have a great day everyone.

Sincerely,

Italian Chef

What does anyone in this country really know about Australia? All most of them know is what they've seen on "Crocodile Dundee" and The Croc Hunter show on Animal Planet. That and Outback Steakhouse sum up our collective knowledge of Australia.

And that's what people want to see. At least that's what we wind up having presented to us, the stereotypes. This isn't a National Geographic park, it's PKI.

But the park will have a nice theme now. "Water Works" always sounded like a water treatment plant, as if it were being run by MSD! The press release sounded exciting. I hope the execution lives up to the press.

I once heard a joke overseas "What do you call a person who speaks three langauges? Tri-lingual. What do you call a person who speaks two languages? Bi-lingual? What do you call a person who speaks one language? American."

The butt of the joke was that we Americans are the most linguistically and culturally challenged of all developed nations. Hence, it's fair to say that many Americans will accept a cheap immitation of an Australian water resort because we don't really know what Australain is.

I have never visited Down Under, though I had 2 Australian roommates in Japan. So, I have an understanding of Australia.

I hope that the new water park will be awesome. Nevertheless, I am reminded of the fact that we as Americans should study other cultures more in depth to understand them.

Sincerely,

Italian Chef

Moneywise, the water park cannot be taken out entirely. Doing that would require them to pay a company to tear down every ride, and then contract a separate company to build an entirely new water park. Yes, some of the rides can be taken out, but removing all of those rides is definately out of the question, from a business point of view.

Moneywise, the water park cannot be taken out entirely. Doing that would require them to pay a company to tear down every ride, and then contract a separate company to build an entirely new water park. Yes, some of the rides can be taken out, but removing all of those rides is definately out of the question, from a business point of view.

there is nothing out of question when it comes to amuesement/theme parks. This has already been proven. They removed a coaster and put in a flat ride. Why not develop unused land, instead of replacing one ride with another? Its obvious they will do what they want, when they want, no matter what the cost is, if they think that in the long run it will make the parkgoers happier and make the park more money. I would bet that most of the slides get trashed, but the towers are still in good shape. The speed slides could be thrown away and replaced but the tower could still be used for them. i am thinking the number of changes over there is going to be huge. I would expect to see a much alrger wave pool before it is all said and done, probably a longer laxzy river that usually won't have a line, and some new body flumes, that wind all over the place. I just think this and some aesthetic improvements are in the works for the water park, and hopefully a lot less concrete, and something a bit easier on the feet.

Although PKI is in fact a business, it is a business that must change and add on to/subtract items each year in order to stay competitive with other nearby parks.

• 2 weeks later...

MASON - Paramount's Kings Island's new Australian-themed water park resort will feature 30 waterslides, including one that sends a raft of riders down a 269-foot-long tube before twisting through a large funnel.

Boomerang Bay, inspired by the Gold Coast, will also include surfable waves, a family water fortress and the 54-foot high Coolangatta Racer, where riders slide face-first down four competition slides.

The resort will also emphasize relaxation, with chair-side waiter service, shaded seating lagoons, and conveyer lifts that carry the water tubes to the top of the slides. Current plans do not include a hotel.

Park officials had earlier announced plans for the resort, but waited until today to release details to the public.

The new water park, expected to open in May 2004, replaces the 15-acre WaterWorks, which closed after this season.

"Even if you went to our old water park every year, you'll feel like you're in a whole new world," spokesman Jeffrey Siebert said. "It's as much about the rides as it is about that feel."

The multimillion-dollarresort is the main focus of the park's new attractions for 2004.

Boomerang Bay will feature eight new slides that were not part of the old water park.

Most of the construction will take place during fall and winter.

Cedar Point in Sandusky is looking into building a year-round, indoor water park.

Water parks are becoming increasingly popular nationwide in part because they draw large crowds, according to Bill Robinson, president of William H. Robinson Inc., a Hamilton marketing company specializing in the amusement and water park industries.

"They have a big draw," Robinson said. "Nothing brings in the bodies like a roller coaster does. ... But everybody doesn't ride roller coasters. Amusement parks have to have diversity to them."

this my friends is going to be so cool i cant wait till it opens

You know Chef, I agree and disagree with the statement about Americans. Yes, we are linguistically and culturally challenged, but how many other countries are as diversed in terms of number of cultures and languages spoken in one country. We are a menagerie of many, many cultures. To be able to learn them all would be beyond trilingual. Back on topic...I saw the new photos of Boomerang Bay and even though I don't visit the water park, it does look pretty awesome. This should be able to blow away the Beach.

First, no one pointed out that the name of the Waterpark was posted improperly in this thread title... it's Boomerang Bay not Beach. ;-)

As far as Australian accuracy... it is my understanding that PKI is going to great lengths to make this theming as accurate as possible. For example:

-Millions are being spent on a sophisticated water drainage system to make sure that when the water drains it swirls in a counter-clockwise motion. After all, the real Australia is below the equator.

- The waterpark will be open during the months of December through February since that is summertime in Australia. It will be closed during the months of June through August since that is winter in Australia.

- Olivia Newton John will be on hand to sing "Have you never been mellow" repeatedly all day, everyday.

- Authenic Koala poops will be sprinkled along the pavement daily so guest can unexpectedly step on them and experience the earthiness of the continent.

- Mel Gibson will re-enact Bravehart on the grassy knoll between the entrance and the wave pool.

- All bathing suits must not have snaps, buttons or rivets but they will require a front pouch.

- When ordering menu items, guests will be required to order in a true Australian accent. "I'd like some cheese fries please" will not be accepted rather only "CHAYZ FRIZ PLAYS" will be recognized.

-The bottom of the wave pool will be filled with razor sharp coral to authenticate the great and deadly coral reefs.

- Each lifeguard will be equipped with a didgeridoo instead of a whistle. Extensive music training by aborigines has already begun.

Shaggy

Who is being completely tougue in cheek here.

Sad, Sad, Sad when you see a park drop to a waterpark.

Though I hate the idea of a waterpark instead of a coaster,and personally I don't see how PKI can do this another year. The New waterpark is nothing to complain fully about. I like the cavern slide and the racing slide. So its a little ok I guess. But i really wish they would at least get a new ride in the theme park. At least a new huss or something. Just adding to the waterpark is nothing you can get excited about.

Water parks are becoming increasingly popular nationwide in part because they draw large crowds, according to Bill Robinson, president of William H. Robinson Inc., a Hamilton marketing company specializing in the amusement and water park industries.

"They have a big draw," Robinson said. "Nothing brings in the bodies like a roller coaster does. ... But everybody doesn't ride roller coasters. Amusement parks have to have diversity to them."