arrest a ki 10/5/13

shrillcaptinspike

They are just kids. Let them have fun. Age doesnt make you a problem. The way you are raised is what makes you a problem to society....

But who's to judge if a person was raised right?

I know...shut up Chris is what you're probably thinking. :)

Overall, the bottom line comes down to security. Either there isn't enough security presence or there isn't enough security personnel that actually care to take care of problems.

They are just kids. Let them have fun. Age doesnt make you a problem. The way you are raised is what makes you a problem to society....

Overall, the bottom line comes down to security. Either there isn't enough security presence or there isn't enough security personnel that actually care to take care of problems.

There's plenty of security and other personnel who can radio for security, all who do their job darn well. There's far more guests who don't like to behave.

There's plenty of security and other personnel who can radio for security, all who do their job darn well. There's far more guests who don't like to behave.

I agree. I haven't been there for Haunt last year or this year to know how security presence is. I do know a friend who worked security for Haunt and they mentioned they were continuously understaffed. Don't take my statement as a dig at security, as I've had several friends in the security department as well as have to use the department for a few things while being an employee at the park and even as a guest at the park.

So I do apologize if I gave a mis-statement when it came to security in the park during Haunt. I mean without them, the person who is the reason for this thread wouldn't have gotten arrested.

Seriously, why is Haunt one of the cheapest times of the year to enter the park?

Because it makes the park A LOT of money. Big crowds who can't exit and re-enter - crowds who get hungry and thirsty and fork over money to buy things, including the all new Fright Lane for the members of the crowd tired of waiting in said crowd.

• Like 3

I had a friend who visits Haunt almost every night that posted this today:

I have a major rant here. I am sick to death of ignorant people who show up at Kings Island Halloween Haunt and act like total morons!! Why in the world do you go to a scare park with scare zones all over the place and scream at a scare actor for doing their job and scaring you? Are you a complete freaking moron????? OMG!!!!!!! Some moronic woman used her umbrella to stab a scare actor...why? HE SCARED HER PRECIOUS DAUGHTER. Well unfit mother what the heck are you doing taking your kid into a zone that is DESIGNED to scare her? Father's use horrible profanity at these kids because they scared their kids. Hey UNFIT MORON why do you take your child into that area????? Do you not read??? And parents who allow their children to walk the park unattended are in a class by themselves. Kings Island is NOT your free babysitting service. It is YOUR JOB to monitor your children. These free roaming brats take great pleasure in touching, hitting and tearing costumes of the scare actors plus the various haunt props and decorations. Trust me your little brats need you to step up and be a parent. People like this make the haunt experience bad for others. I am sick to death of all of you. GET A BRAIN and GET A LIFE.

Preach brother! Totally agree. I was at Haunt Friday and went up to look at some cool animitronics by the Kings Island Theater. As I was taking pictures of the scene, a woman came up next to me with her two young kids in tow and asked me if I knew if somebody was going to jump out of one of the barrels. I said I didn't think so, but I wasn't sure. She then went on a rant saying if something or somebody pops out and scares her kids, she's going to hit them, complain, blah, blah, blah. She said nobody's going to scare my kids, I'll protect my kids, blah, blah, blah. Then she stopped a couple of guys passing by and asked them if any scareactors would jump out from where they just came from. It was unbelievable and I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. This woman was either high, drunk or just plain off her rocker because she was all over the place. I felt bad for her kids because they were clearly embarrassed by her erratic behavior and they didn't even exhibit any signs of being scared in any way. The stupidity and lack of common sense in society these days is just mind-boggling.

• Like 4

Seriously, why is Haunt one of the cheapest times of the year to enter the park?

Because it makes the park A LOT of money. Big crowds who can't exit and re-enter - crowds who get hungry and thirsty and fork over money to buy things, including the all new Fright Lane for the members of the crowd tired of waiting in said crowd.

So, if all the things said about the event in the past couple years are to believed: the park is more concerned about essentially trapping a rough, rowdy group of wallets in the park for a couple hours to make a profit than it is with ensuring that both guests and employees have a safe, enjoyable time*? Sad.

* That's not a comment on the quality of the security officers the park currently has. If the security staff is shorthanded, is there nothing at all that could be done to entice more people to work in security?

• Like 2

So, if all the things said about the event in the past couple years are to believed: the park is more concerned about essentially trapping a rough, rowdy group of wallets in the park for a couple hours to make a profit than it is with ensuring that both guests and employees have a safe, enjoyable time*? Sad.

* That's not a comment on the quality of the security officers the park currently has. If the security staff is shorthanded, is there nothing at all that could be done to entice more people to work in security?

No, I don't think it's a matter of greed over safety. The park does keep things safe for both employees and guests, but generally Haunt does attract a more raucous crowd. Currently, it would seem they can manage the situation while at the same time being able to put on the event.

The park is smart in what they do - there's a reason why this event is marketed as "extreme," "18+," "for adults," etc. There's a reasons why they didn't have a problem dressing up mannequins as a dead Steve McNair. For what Halloween Haunt brings in, it outweighs and potentially bad press.

Enough of Halloween. I want Winterfest.

There, I fixed the problem

No, you didn't and neither did the park. Haunt makes money - Winterfest did not.

• Like 2

Since I have read many comments that did not line up with what I saw Friday night here is my 2 cents. My wife and I and some good friends went Friday evening and had a great time. Crowds were light, the park was well staffed (actually made a mental note of the upped security presence, extra patrols in the park, metal detectors at the front, monitoring mazes and zones) and the crowd while skewed younger was well behaved from what I saw. We were at the park from open until almost close and if anything it was a pretty laid back atmosphere for haunt and there were no more losers in the crowd than there in Planet Snoopy during a regular operating day.

• Like 3

I think at a minimum kids should be at least 16 to go to Haunt without a parent. Parents, on the other hand , who have their elementary aged kids with them should be shown the exit. You need a license for just about anything in life... but any idiot can be a parent.

I disagree whole heartedly. If you remember the haunted house at forest fair mall (before it moved to Dent School House, yes look it up kiddos), my parents took my 6 year old self and 5 year old sister to haunts. My sister loved it. I was sort of terrified. However, its some of the best memories I have as a kid. My parents knew what was going to happen. My parents learned that I could sit out a haunt (with the mom) while my dad and sister walked through the haunt. So if a haunt said, no shes too young, my sister never would have enjoyed the things she did.

it, of course, is a matter of perspective. The 16 year old comment is more along the lines of a lot of those under that age gives the park to being a baby sitting service. And for what it's worth, I don't have any idea what the FFM Haunted House was like, nor the Dent School House- but Haunted Houses back in those days, if memory serves me right, weren't as "demented" as some are today. I had been to many a haunted house, trail, etc... Even participated in the SS Nightmare, and tried to through the Haunted Hospital in Blue Ash before it was converted back to a real hospital. Those were great back in the day- scared the ^$*&( out of you. Conversely, some of the things I've seen at Haunt aren't really as scary as they are gross.

Kings Island, to their credit, does warn people though. You don't have to go through the shows, and if you can handle the random person coming up to you screaming or yelling "BOO" it's just another night at the park.

• Like 2

So you don't think the monsters change their acts when kiddies are present?

They do.

They HAVE to.

Yup. We had to. When I saw a terrified child being held by the parent going through the maze I was sure to speak my mind and tell them in character that the young ones aren't supposed to be here.

• Like 4

I have to disagree on the age restriction. Call me a bad parent if you want. We went Saturday with my 4 kids ages 15, 13, 6, and 1. We went on the basis of staying until someone wanted to go home. My 6 year old was loving it and the 1 year old was indifferent. My hubby and I have been a few times this season alone and have been through it all so we knew what to expect. We started with DDD. The only one who got scared was my 13 yo. My 6 yo did get scared but wanted to go through more. There are a few thing I would not take them into such as hot blooded and ed alonzo. They were a little too provacative. I think every parent should know what their child is comfortable with. Parents should not be judged as a whole.

• Like 16

^^^^ I wouldn't call you a bad parent. I don't know you or any of your children. I would say it was a poor judgement call letting a one year old and most six year olds in haunted mazes full of blood, guts, and gore.

Parents....there's a reason the event is advertised for those over 13.

Spend the day with them making lasting memories over in Planet Snoopy and Howl-O-Palooza

• Like 1

At Universals Halloween Horror Nights, they close the park and empty the park prior to the Horror Night to clear out the families, and it is a separately paid event (which by the way is outrageously priced now at about $100 per one night visit and for an additional fee you can Express, counts me out!) for each participant no matter what age and there are security personnel throughout each zone, house and just about everywhere, just to keep the peace. The fact that the houses and zones are way more intense than at our haunt and cost is high, pretty much weeds out the families with children. We actually saw security pop out of no where and chase down some teens who had fake Id's and were trying to buy beer...they were caught and detained on the spot.

We got are tickets for $59.99 and got to come the first 3 weekends. (getting ready to work on review!*). I don't know which one's are getting dumber... the parents or the teens (not all teens/parents :)).

As for the families with children.... lol about that... me and my family let are 5 year old nephew go to it the first night... yes, he did get scared a lot but, he liked it! He was laughing at the zombies! Now as a side note, we let him go though the first 2 houses and if he got freaked out to bad, my mom was gonna go back to the resort with him, so in no way was he forced to go. Instead he went though all 8! (we didn't get all 8 done in one night).

*I will be labeling my review for HHN 23, as "WDW and UOR/HHN review". do I will be reviewing 3 things, HHN, UOR, and WDW. the bulk of the review will be aimed at HHN. look for it to be up in the next 30min to an hour! (have a lot of typing to do!)

• Like 1

^^^^ I wouldn't call you a bad parent. I don't know you or any of your children. I would say it was a poor judgement call letting a one year old and most six year olds in haunted mazes full of blood, guts, and gore.

Spend the day with them making lasting memories over in Planet Snoopy and Howl-O-Palooza

Honestly a kids sees just as much gore on the nightly news. I feel TV these days doesn't leave much to the imagination. I'm not even talking about cable. I am very real with my children and make sure they know what is real and what isn't as well ad what is right and wrong. My kids are very well behaved and wanted to go in. I made sure of what they were doing before hand and dont see much of a difference when we go trick or treating. You see costumed and homes decorated up around here to a similar extent. I will be posting my trip report from Saturday here in a bit complete with pics.
  • Like 5

Well if your kids are acting out, picking fights, and being down right scum bags... then you may have raised em wrong.

I think at a minimum kids should be at least 16 to go to Haunt without a parent. Parents, on the other hand , who have their elementary aged kids with them should be shown the exit. You need a license for just about anything in life... but any idiot can be a parent.

I disagree whole heartedly. If you remember the haunted house at forest fair mall (before it moved to Dent School House, yes look it up kiddos), my parents took my 6 year old self and 5 year old sister to haunts. My sister loved it. I was sort of terrified. However, its some of the best memories I have as a kid. My parents knew what was going to happen. My parents learned that I could sit out a haunt (with the mom) while my dad and sister walked through the haunt. So if a haunt said, no shes too young, my sister never would have enjoyed the things she did.

it, of course, is a matter of perspective. The 16 year old comment is more along the lines of a lot of those under that age gives the park to being a baby sitting service. And for what it's worth, I don't have any idea what the FFM Haunted House was like, nor the Dent School House- but Haunted Houses back in those days, if memory serves me right, weren't as "demented" as some are today. I had been to many a haunted house, trail, etc... Even participated in the SS Nightmare, and tried to through the Haunted Hospital in Blue Ash before it was converted back to a real hospital. Those were great back in the day- scared the ^$*&( out of you. Conversely, some of the things I've seen at Haunt aren't really as scary as they are gross.

Kings Island, to their credit, does warn people though. You don't have to go through the shows, and if you can handle the random person coming up to you screaming or yelling "BOO" it's just another night at the park.

Great points. From my memory FFM was pretty similar to the way you described it, scary but not gross. I would still say that the current incarnation as of Dent School house is built around scary and not gross.

I would say its in "poor judgement" for you to judge another parent based on a trip to Halloween Haunt. They know their kids, you don't. Let them parent their kids and you stick to yours, (if applicable.)

• Like 6

Since I have read many comments that did not line up with what I saw Friday night here is my 2 cents. My wife and I and some good friends went Friday evening and had a great time. Crowds were light, the park was well staffed (actually made a mental note of the upped security presence, extra patrols in the park, metal detectors at the front, monitoring mazes and zones) and the crowd while skewed younger was well behaved from what I saw. We were at the park from open until almost close and if anything it was a pretty laid back atmosphere for haunt and there were no more losers in the crowd than there in Planet Snoopy during a regular operating day.

To note, prior to your comment, I was corrected about the security presence at the park for Halloween Haunt, I also said I haven't been there this year or last year and apologized. But don't forget what you may see in Rivertown, you may not see in Action Zone, etc. Just because you didn't see the incident that started this thread, didn't mean it didn't happen.

I have to disagree on the age restriction. Call me a bad parent if you want. We went Saturday with my 4 kids ages 15, 13, 6, and 1. We went on the basis of staying until someone wanted to go home. My 6 year old was loving it and the 1 year old was indifferent. My hubby and I have been a few times this season alone and have been through it all so we knew what to expect. We started with DDD. The only one who got scared was my 13 yo. My 6 yo did get scared but wanted to go through more. There are a few thing I would not take them into such as hot blooded and ed alonzo. They were a little too provacative. I think every parent should know what their child is comfortable with. Parents should not be judged as a whole.

Please don't take my comments about kids at Halloween Haunt as an attack saying that you're a bad parent. I don't know you personally or your judgement calls so I can't justify saying anything about your parenting. I actually applaud you for not just dropping your teens off for the day and leaving, as well as for not taking them to see Hot Blooded or Ed Alonzo. When I've spoke about parents in this thread, I've spoke mostly about those who either drop their children off to let the park babysit or those who decide to take action against a park employee for scaring the child.

I can't wait to see your Trip Report.

I would say its in "poor judgement" for you to judge another parent based on a trip to Halloween Haunt. They know their kids, you don't. Let them parent their kids and you stick to yours, (if applicable.)

Say what you want dude ....but a one year old is still a baby and has no place in a haunted maze...not to mention the possible physical accidental dangers (ever been in front of a group of screaming groping, pushing, running girls? )

I'm a teenager, I don't get in trouble.

I don't see what's so hard about following guidelines to keep us safe.

I overheard a teen getting in trouble with a security guard (for what reason? I don't know) and as the teen walked away he said "I hate security guards here."

When I hear that, my first thought is "well just remember that if your bag gets stolen, you get robbed, or badly injured by someone just remember who you're going to call."

Also, I don't think taking younger kids to HH is a "good" idea.

But I'm just a teen, I wouldn't know too much about kids, especially someone else's .

• Like 8

Also if parents take their young kids to see Ed Alonzo's magic act during Haunt, they should not complain about the mature content. It is stated that his is for mature audiences and not young kids. It is more of a PG-13 instead of a G or PG that they feel it should be. It is like a parent taking their young kid to a violent, slasher movie like Friday the Thirteenth 15 and complaining that Freddy is too gruesome and has too much blood, even though it is rated R.

• Like 10