Remnants of past attractions

homestar92

Also...

- Cuddle Up was a spinning, teacup like ride located in Old Coney. It shared a building with Dodgems for years before the area was expanded. The building that housed them still exists and is now home to the Rock Shop. The rear is used for storage and for a Haunted Attraction during Fearfest. Both rides came from Cincinnati's Coney Island. When Coney was once again updated in the mid-1980's the Dodgems were replaced with a larger version at the site of the Flying Eagles, which moved to their present day location at back corner of Coney Mall.

...which building is this?

Also...

- Cuddle Up was a spinning, teacup like ride located in Old Coney. It shared a building with Dodgems for years before the area was expanded. The building that housed them still exists and is now home to the Rock Shop. The rear is used for storage and for a Haunted Attraction during Fearfest. Both rides came from Cincinnati's Coney Island. When Coney was once again updated in the mid-1980's the Dodgems were replaced with a larger version at the site of the Flying Eagles, which moved to their present day location at back corner of Coney Mall.

It was where the rock T-shirt shop next to the laser maze is located now...cant remember the shop name....darn it. "Attitudes", may be shop name?

• Like 1

Also...

It's the building that houses the Attitudes gift shop and the Delta Delta Die haunted house. Here's an extremely rare picture of Cuddle Up, screenshotted from an eBay auction some time back:

BnIMe2R.jpg

The picture is supposedly from Kings Island, although I cannot figure out for the life of me what the big building in the background would be.

Edit - Actually, the big blue building is the old inflatable Kings Island Theater. So the shot definitely is Kings Island.

• Like 11

Interesting. So when they moved the Dodgems to the current location, they basically stuck some walls on it and turned it into a shop?

That's certainly one approach to doing things...

if you were facing the laser game in Coney Mall (Maul right now.) Cuddle up was where the Attitude shop is and the Dogems was where the squirt game/DED Haunt are now. It was a frugal thing to do, to reuse the structure.

I see that the floor is wooden. I wonder if the mechanical parts came from Coney Island? I know the cups are different.

If you know the manufacturer of the ride that would be so cool to see it come back to the park.

Just found out that PTC still offers these rides! Lets start sign up to request this ride!

• Like 1

Interesting. So when they moved the Dodgems to the current location, they basically stuck some walls on it and turned it into a shop?

That's certainly one approach to doing things...

if you were facing the laser game in Coney Mall (Maul right now.) Cuddle up was where the Attitude shop is and the Dogems was where the squirt game/DED Haunt are now. It was a frugal thing to do, to reuse the structure.

The space for the Dodgems must have been a fraction of the size that it is now, then.

I'm not sure if it's still there or not, but there was a footer... or footing... or however you say it... for the Skyride near Bubba Gumps. It was covered by a rowboat as part of the themeing.

Also, if you look at the storage shelters for The Vortex, you can see how there are half-crescents cut into the tops of the openings. These were to accommodate The Bat's suspended track.

Not really a remnant, but more of a fun fact -- I guess if you go to the park all the time you don't realize how oversized the entrance plaze inside the front gate is. This was designed to be so large to accommodate the skydivers' landing, which was done daily at Kings Island in the 70's.

There are tons and tons of old buildings and sheds from the old Wild Animal Habitat as well as the monorail housing. Some have been repurposed, some have been left to be reclaimed by nature. Last time I was back there, and this is going back a few years, you could see very evident clearings where track would have gone, but there wasn't any track left.

• Like 9

There are tons and tons of old buildings and sheds from the old Wild Animal Habitat as well as the monorail housing. Some have been repurposed, some have been left to be reclaimed by nature. Last time I was back there, and this is going back a few years, you could see very evident clearings where track would have gone, but there wasn't any track left.

How does one go back there?

How does one go back there?

You don't. It's not open to the public.

I wouldn't say there's "tons," but there are a few. Two buildings are left that used to house animals. One of them was repurposed into a "bolt barn" for Son of Beast. That one had almost any spare part you could think of for Son of Beast track work. It was located just up the hill from SOB's "cloverleaf" turn making it much more accessible for the SOB maintenance crew when they needed something.

Another building is still located way in the back near the edge of the property. It was still surrounded by fences and gated areas used for moving animals in and out of the attraction. On the inside it was partitioned into different enclosures and had heaters running along the roof for the animals. At the time I went back there, it was being used to store Winterfest theming, old light poles from HB and a bunch of spotlights that used to be inside Skyflyer's arch that made it change colors at night.

Throughout where the old monorail ran, there's various small shacks that were always rumored to be "guard shacks." I don't know if they were really for zookeepers or that's just what everyone said they were.

If you go up on the tower and look NorthEast behind where SOB used to be you can see a patch of bright green. That's actually an old pond with moss growing over it that the monorail used to circle. It's pretty gross now.

• Like 1

If you go up on the tower and look NorthEast behind where SOB used to be you can see a patch of bright green. That's actually an old pond with moss growing over it that the monorail used to circle. It's pretty gross now.

Back in my cleanup crew days we coined this as Lake Cleanup and would take our pop breaks back there.

• Like 6

With the Skyride footer: it is indeed still there, although a small tree has somewhat comically been planted inside the footer where the support must've gone.

1381700928.jpg?t=1381700931

Also, earlier in this topic someone mentioned there still being poles from Der Spinning Keggers in the woods around Viking Fury's exit path. Oddly enough, there are indeed two rusty poles there, but I can't tell if they were from Der Spinning Keggers or not.

• Like 5