Vortex train storage

diamonbackandbeastlover

I'm surprised but I'm not surprised by storing on the lift. For FD I can see storing on the lift, because even for my rides @ CP we weren't allowed to transfer off ID, it also takes forever to do unlike most other coasters. Vortex, I don't know why they don't utilize the transfer table...You can put two trains there and then one in the station before e-stopping for the night. Leaving a train on the lift hill is ok, it's not a huge problem, but maint. wise you can't really get under it like the transfer table and easily work and plus on AM starts, that actually does put a good bit of strain on the lift motor, but ah well..dunno why they technically do it, or why KI ride ops can't transfer off their own units...ah well

I'm surprised but I'm not surprised by storing on the lift. For FD I can see storing on the lift, because even for my rides @ CP we weren't allowed to transfer off ID, it also takes forever to do unlike most other coasters. Vortex, I don't know why they don't utilize the transfer table...You can put two trains there and then one in the station before e-stopping for the night. Leaving a train on the lift hill is ok, it's not a huge problem, but maint. wise you can't really get under it like the transfer table and easily work and plus on AM starts, that actually does put a good bit of strain on the lift motor, but ah well..dunno why they technically do it, or why KI ride ops can't transfer off their own units...ah well

Im not a roller coaster mechanic but there wouldn't be any extra strain on the motor since the train should be resting against the anti-roll backs.

In answer to the original question; parking a train on the lift is easier and safer than going out and chalking and chaining a train on the safety brakes. The trains are not rotated either. Nor is there any more stress put on the lift motor when a train is parked there for the night. Also, being a minor has nothing to with not parking train on the storage rails. It's simply not needed and unnecessary. At least on the Arrow coasters.

• Like 6

So explain to me why my lift blew mid season when we restarted the lift with a train dead on it from shutting down in the rain...and this is what a maint worker told us...and the lift was fine and running all day beforehand...

It's not hard to chain the trains..the only one that needs to be chained is the one on the tables storage brake not the one on the ready brake

Parking the trains allows all aspects of the train to be inspected, including the chain dogs, all wheels, and anti rollbacks..

Again minors aren't at cp and we do it every day at every ride except a few that are unable to transfer..but at ki only maint transfers off the trains if the ride does transfer off at night

So explain to me why my lift blew mid season when we restarted the lift with a train dead on it from shutting down in the rain...and this is what a maint worker told us...and the lift was fine and running all day beforehand...

It's not hard to chain the trains..the only one that needs to be chained is the one on the tables storage brake not the one on the ready brake

Parking the trains allows all aspects of the train to be inspected, including the chain dogs, all wheels, and anti rollbacks..

Again minors aren't at cp and we do it every day at every ride except a few that are unable to transfer..but at ki only maint transfers off the trains if the ride does transfer off at night

1. The Vortex is not Corkscrew. Secondly, the lift motors are not the same.

2. It's easier for maintenance to inspect the underneath the trains on the ready brakes. At least on the Arrows.

3. Minors transfer the trains off The Beast to the storage shed at the end of the night.

Being a half assed ride op at Cedar Point does not make you an expert on Arrow roller coasters at KI.

• Like 4

Actually again..this wasn't corkscrew...this was Maggie...try again...also very minor differences, I bet everything is the sake except for the rpm it runs at and the power at the output shaft.

The ready and storage brake are. under the same platform they're right next to eachother, theres no difference

Beast is transferred off my maint. I believe it's even been brought up on here before but I have asked the crew about it too..they manually push them down the track in the shed

I wasn't half assed, considering the multiple promotions in one year, and would have come back if not for the lack of good pay and going military...

Also again being promoted and having to do inspections with maint you learn quite a lot about your rides you work at...

An electric motor makes peak torque at 0 rpm it also draws maximum amperage at 0 rpm due to the longer dwell time. Higher amperage creates higher temperature and stresses all the circuits, so starting an electric motor at maximum load causes more stress on all parts of the circuit. I do realize that the train is empty on start up but there still is a significant load.

• Like 2

Didn't actually know all that involved diamondbill, nifty explanation, and also thank you

And again...we had to go with them during several inspections..not many ride ops you know get to go change a wheel, hub bearing, and seal it with maint showing you the ropes...I've had that luxury..I loved the rides I worked and enjoyed taking care of them...so again I know more than your normal ride op..certainly not half assed ones as you propose

• Like 1