Trams?

fanofFirehawk

Okay so not only is this an awesome poll but. I have a question for those insiders at Kings Island.

First of all why were the Trams decommissioned? Are the old ones still usable?

Now for the General Public of these sites. Would you like to see the Trams that roamed the Parking lots return or could not care the least bit? And do you think they will comeback ever, why or why not?

It always seemed like a nice courtesy for people who don't want to walk the entire length of the parking lot, or even that can't like the elderly.

• Like 3

I would want the tram to come back, It would be nice you get a lift to your car after A long day of walking. I don't see KI doing that. The old trams may not be even running and they've been sitting for a while in storage. Plus they have to get auto insurance and pay for the fuel which is more money KI needs to spend.

Oh by the way, Their was also a topic just like this

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21828-trams/

Edited by CP&LERR Fan

I think it's absolutely ridiculous Kings Island doesn't have tram service.

A best day ever should include those who have limited mobility but would love to come to the park.

In my Mom's last years, Dollywood got her visits. You see, THEY made her feel welcome, and the trams, though she never used them, were part of that. She mentioned them often as I pushed her in a wheelchair.

• Like 16

can you imagine putting the trams back without repaving the parking lot? They would be reduced to buckets of bolts by mid season! I'm hoping Mr. Ouimet can dedicate some nickels this offseason towards resurfacing that moonscape they call a parking lot.

• Like 1

Repave the parking lot? What about all the workers whose main job is to fill in the pot holes? Or the sink hole in the employee lot? LOL

But the reasons I heard as to removing the trams were due to increased fuel costs;liability issues, insurance costs, labor, maintenance costs. But like Terpy had mentioned, maybe some accommodation could be made for the guests that have limited mobility.

• Like 1

I might be wrong, but I don't even know if it has ever been repaved since it opened in 1972. Right now, all the pot holes that were repaired in the employee lot earlier in the summer are back in full force. During one big rain storm this summer, there was one HUGE hole the size of a sink hole that was filled in by rain water and was hidden, until you drove into it. Repairs were made and it is only a matter of time before it is back again. The entire lot needs to be repaved. But I am sure due to these pot holes, repair shops have been kept busy repairing suspensions and aligning the front ends.

• Like 1

Tram from Action Zone to River Town, would be awesome! I would trade not having to walk forever to go to Diamondback from Banshee for a parking lot anyday. In park tram, or I guess what I want is a monorail...hmm que the song. "

Monorail
What's it called?
Monorail
That's right! Monorail

Monorail
Monorail
Monorail

180px-Lyle.png

• Like 2

These days resurfacing can be done at relatively low cost. At my former job, road crews used what they called a "mill and fill" technique, where a machine was first brought in to reduce the entire road surface down to its base..after that it was smoothed over, then finally repaved and sealed. Its a lot more cost effective than simply layering another coat of aspahlt on top of the current lot. Asphalt lasts on average about 10 years in midwest weather. If KI wanted to upgrade and repave the whole lot using concrete, the lifespan would increase to about 20 years. If theyre going to spruce up Action Zone next year, I hope they can spruce up the first thing guests encounter when entering the property as well!

• Like 7

This could be our 2015 attraction. Repaved parking lots.

But I would love to see some kind of shuttle from the front gate to the Soak City gate. Nothing like parking at Soak City in the morning, going into the park in the afternoon, then not making it back through Soak City before it closes.

This could be our 2015 attraction. Repaved parking lots.

But I would love to see some kind of shuttle from the front gate to the Soak City gate. Nothing like parking at Soak City in the morning, going into the park in the afternoon, then not making it back through Soak City before it closes.

A paved parking lot for the 2015 attraction? You mean improvement :)

I don't mean to be insensitive to the mobility challenge but---What difference does a 100 yard walk to and from you car from the front gate make on a day at the park where you walk 2 to 5 miles or more inside? (Like the people at the mall that drive around for 20 minutes looking for the closest possible spot when they will walk 20 times that distance inside.)

Now if it is for nostalgia that is different---We all have things from our past that we "must do" for our trips to be complete. (I personally have to hit ET and the train in order for my trip to be complete) For some the tram was the official start and end of their day at KI.

Later,

Mark

I always thought the parking "fee" paid for the parking lot repairs....guess it's more for the convenience of parking there...but...where else are you going to park?

I also challenge anyone to push a wheel chair for two miles without a break and answer this question "Are you having a good day today?"

• Like 2

I love these "I don't mean to be insensitive, but..." statements.

Yep. Insensitive.

There, but for the grace of God, over in that wheelchair, is you. One car wreck, one motorcycle accident, one diving accident, one major illness...

I've pushed a wheelchair many miles in a park. My Mom was in it.

And yes. She could walk. All of about 20 feet before she was out of breath, panting and wheezing. It took years before I could convince her to even sit in a wheelchair. Pride. Not wanting to be seen as helpless.

It matters.

• Like 9

When I take my dad, who is 90 years old and a proud WWII vet, I always get him either a wheel chair or a power scooter if available. He uses a walker while at home and he can not get around safely without it. For some people like my father, just using a walker from the handicap lot can be too far to walk from it to the sales area for the wheel chairs. My father enjoys the shows and watching the people. After about 3 or 4 hours, he is ready to go home. I have tried to convince dad to get a power scooter for everyday use but he will not get one. Other than his mobility issues, he is doing really good for his young age. Now my mother , God rest her soul, was different. She suffered from COPD and Crohn's and was constantly tethered to oxygen and could not walk without being out of breath. She could walk with no problem but not for her breathing problems. Even with parking close by in the handicap parking, it could and was a job to walk to the front gate entrance. Maybe some sort of a tram service could be offered for people that are handicapped that park in the handicap lot. It could either be like the regular trams or a smaller version that would be more accessible for the handicapped.

• Like 6

I have to deal with the after affects of dealing with a major digestive medical disease which often leaves me lacking energy at times. While I do pride myself to still be able to go to and enjoy amusement parks including all the things like walking long distances, it would help a lot to have a mode of transportation from the gate to the car. Heck, I often take a break and ride the KI&MVRR just to take a load off my feet for a bit and relax. Having the tram back would be a tremendous help at the end of the day.

I also like the idea of having a transport system in the park (like a monorail) that goes section to section. That's one big thing I like about Cedar Point is how their train and the sky lift accomplishes that.

• Like 4