Diamondback rattling!

thoe124

I rode in the very back row a couple weeks ago and didn't really have any problems... Sure there was some vibration at the bottom of a couple hills, but from reading on here I expected to have my teeth shaken out. I didn't notice a problem, but I also have only ridden one B & M hyper coaster, so maybe that's why it doesn't seem so bad to me? So if that is truly the problem then I hope Kings Island/Cedar Fair fix the issue and keep the ride running in tip top shape.

Sure. It's not that bad in relative to most all the other coasters at KI, but...

It IS bad in relative to the fact it's relatively new and currently the only B&M KI has. Even though it is very late into the season, (too late to do anything major to it), I still don't think they should ever let it turn into what it is now.

I still think they should buy a 4th generic train to rotate out with current trains so they can give them EXTENSIVE refurbishment as opposed to the off season rebuild.

Think Kumba and Montu. They each have 4 trains, even though the rides are only blocked for 3 trains. They rotate one train out, and can maintain capacity on busy days.

I know the argument: "But they are open all year." My response is, "What's Cedar Fair's excuse for poorly maintained rides when they are closed for 5 months or so?"

Montu for example, does not have a bump or an "oops" moment ANYWHERE.

Kumba still packs a mean punch just as it did back in 1993. IT does however have 2 places where the train shudders. However, it is still my number 1 steel.

SheiKra has 5 trains, and is blocked for 5. However, they only run 5 on rare occasions. Again, not a bump or "oops" moment.

Compare the BGT B&M trio to the Cedar Point B&M trio, and you tell me the difference! You will find that the BGT trio all run better than the Cedar Point trio.

Gatekeeper has only been open for 1 season and has developed an actual BUMP? There is no excuse for that.

Sheikra who is probably gonna catch hell for this post, but oh well!

• Like 3

Especially now.

Blackstone AND demanding marketforces. The Anheiser-Busch days are gone.

A more fair comparison is Six Flags. Except Scream under previous management, every B&M I have ridden at Flags rides just as it did when it opened. Bar none, in my experience.

Or Paramount Parks Top Gun: The Jet Coaster vs. Cedar Fair Entertainment Company's Afterburn. Same coaster. Yes, older. But not as old as Montu. And since I try not to speak ill of park companies (since two certain gentlemen retired or otherwise were assisted in leaving the business), this post is now concluded.

I rode Beast this morning in the front of train 2 and it was absolutely fantastic.

As far as BM rides being smooth I agree that Montu and Skeikra are shining examples of what they should be but there are a lot of factors to consider when you compare rides.

^^The Busch parks have more money to be spent per park than FUN does. Trains do cost a hefty amount of money which is why Cedar Fair can't afford to buy an extra train for every massive coaster they install at every park.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but source?
I admit it was an inference, judging by the quality of Verbolten, their Halloween events, etc. I forgot about the change in power. Regardless, trains still do cost a lot of money.

I rode Beast this morning in the front of train 2 and it was absolutely fantastic.

As far as BM rides being smooth I agree that Montu and Skeikra are shining examples of what they should be but there are a lot of factors to consider when you compare rides.

Once again, Beast was AMAZING this season!

Comparing the rides themselves is one thing, and comparing how rides are maintained is another. The argument this thread is trying to make is a maintenance issue, not a manufacturer issue.

People CONTINUE to blame B&M for the rattle on coasters, and you simply can not blame B&M for a rattle that was not there on day 1 of operation. Once installation is complete, it is up to the parks to maintain the rides.

For those who have not been, you need to go ride Gatekeeper, X Flight, and Wild Eagle. Go ride all 8 of the Florida B&M's. Go ride Behemoth and Leviathan. Batman at SFGAm. You will see a HUGE difference.

I have ridden 41 of the 90 B&M's in existence, and can tell you that a comment like "Cedar Fair has finally realized that B&M's aren't that great," or what ever the stupid comment was, is completely false.

2013 was the "Year of Faulty Intamins"

How many B&M rides failed on the lift, and rolled back down? How many B&M rides motors went out? How many B&M rides experienced an extended period of downtime this season?

B&M's do break down. It is a machine, and machines do break down.

Someone say Batman from SFNO or Time Machine and I will go all Madea on them! :wacko::P

• Like 3

Your argument is invalid.

A boat rolled back down the lift on Shoot the Rapids...... B&M doesnt manufacture water/boat/flume rides

The lift hill malfunctioned on El Toro..... B&M doesnt manufacture wooden rollercoasters.

The lift hill malfunctioned on Indy-305...... B&M doesnt manufacture coasters that include cable lifts

I could go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 1

Comparing the rides themselves is one thing, and comparing how rides are maintained is another.  The argument this thread is trying to make is a maintenance issue, not a manufacturer issue.

People CONTINUE to blame B&M for the rattle on coasters, and you simply can not blame B&M for a rattle that was not there on day 1 of operation.  Once installation is complete, it is up to the parks to maintain the rides.

For those who have not been, you need to go ride Gatekeeper, X Flight, and Wild Eagle. Go ride all 8 of the Florida B&M's. Go ride Behemoth and Leviathan.  Batman at SFGAm.  You will see a HUGE difference. 

I have ridden 41 of the 90 B&M's in existence, and can tell you that a comment like "Cedar Fair has finally realized that B&M's aren't that great," or what ever the stupid comment was, is completely false. 

How many B&M rides failed on the lift, and rolled back down?  How many B&M rides motors went out?  How many B&M rides experienced an extended period of downtime this season? 

B&M's do break down.  It is a machine, and machines do break down.

Someone say Batman from SFNO or Time Machine and I will go all Madea on them!  :wacko:   :P

I have ridden the following B&Ms:

Diamondback

Kumba

Skeikra

Montu

Mantis

Raptor

The smoothest were by far the BGT trio, with Kumba being slightly behind than the other two. I may have ridden a train that was due for maintenance.

My experience on Mantis was better than most reports I've read and that probably has to do with the 'seat' being aligned properly. It wasn't terribly rough and smooth by most standards.

I thought I was going to be shaken to death by Raptor though. I couldn't believe how much different it was than the others.

I still consider Diamondback to be smoother than other Cedar Fair B&Ms I've ridden but when it has more years on it that may be a different story.

My point is that I agree with you in your statement that on day one B&Ms are super smooth.

Maintenance plays a major role in the longevity of any machine, as does weather and climate.

• Like 2

Your argument is invalid.

A boat rolled back down the lift on Shoot the Rapids...... B&M doesnt manufacture water/boat/flume rides

The lift hill malfunctioned on El Toro..... B&M doesnt manufacture wooden rollercoasters.

The lift hill malfunctioned on Indy-305...... B&M doesnt manufacture coasters that include cable lifts

I could go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

So you are saying everything else in my post is correct?

I speak the truth in the questions:

"How many B&M rides failed on the lift, and rolled back down? How many B&M rides motors went out? How many B&M rides experienced an extended period of downtime this season?"

What the hell does El Toro being wooden have to do with the LIFT mechanism failing? What does Shoot The Rapids being a water ride have to do with the LIFT mechanism failing? It is the same principal. Get them up the hill or stop and keep it in place in the event of a malfunction.

Wooden, water, or cable is irrelevant to the fact that all three of those had LIFT issues that resulted in extended periods of downtime. One of which still has yet to reopen.

• Like 4

Comparing the rides themselves is one thing, and comparing how rides are maintained is another. The argument this thread is trying to make is a maintenance issue, not a manufacturer issue.

People CONTINUE to blame B&M for the rattle on coasters, and you simply can not blame B&M for a rattle that was not there on day 1 of operation. Once installation is complete, it is up to the parks to maintain the rides.

For those who have not been, you need to go ride Gatekeeper, X Flight, and Wild Eagle. Go ride all 8 of the Florida B&M's. Go ride Behemoth and Leviathan. Batman at SFGAm. You will see a HUGE difference.

How many B&M rides failed on the lift, and rolled back down? How many B&M rides motors went out? How many B&M rides experienced an extended period of downtime this season?

B&M's do break down. It is a machine, and machines do break down.

Someone say Batman from SFNO or Time Machine and I will go all Madea on them! :wacko::P

I have ridden the following B&Ms:

Diamondback

Kumba

Skeikra

Montu

Mantis

Raptor

The smoothest were by far the BGT trio, with Kumba being slightly behind than the other two. I may have ridden a train that was due for maintenance.

My experience on Mantis was better than most reports I've read and that probably has to do with the 'seat' being aligned properly. It wasn't terribly rough and smooth by most standards.

I thought I was going to be shaken to death by Raptor though. I couldn't believe how much different it was than the others.

I still consider Diamondback to be smoother than other Cedar Fair B&Ms I've ridden but when it has more years on it that may be a different story.

My point is that I agree with you in your statement that on day one B&Ms are super smooth.

Maintenance plays a major role in the longevity of any machine, as does weather and climate.

Finally, someone who understands me!

SheiKra is my alcoholic beverage, Montu is my illegal non prescription drug, and Kumba is my afterglow! :wub: LOVE KUMBA!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...