"Centurion" name registered by Cedar Fair

IIRC Carowinds is going to get a 300+ (presumably B & M) for 2015 according to the details/media reports from the deal they made with the state (or city?) to secure funding for improvements. That's the obvious choice for now, though it could be a number of things they have in the pipeline for one of their many parks.

• Like 2

Honestly, I think most names for new rides always seem a little bit corny or uncreative the first time you hear or find out about it. It has to grow on you a little at first before you can imaginine yourself saying "Let's go ride (insert name here)" in the upcoming season(s)...

...But once it does, 98% of the time you end up liking that name. :)

• Like 5

I actually really like the rumored name that turned out to be Gatekeeper...Lotan. It sounds cool and it could have a cool backstory and some theming. Plus I'd love for it to be a green and blue coaster.

However started that rumor got me pretty excited, but Gatekeeper's more fitting and emphasizes its most unique feature.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2013/09/charlotte-council-wrestles-carowinds.html?page=all

This article shows where the ride is going to sit and that its 300-315 foot tall. The interesting thing is, looking at the slideshow, that it suggests its going to be a wing coaster. Not sure if that is just whoever did the article taking liberties from the pictures used at the meeting, or if Cedar Fair themselves said that.

It also says "riders on the planned giga coaster at Carowinds will be suspended from above, with their feet dangling in the air"

Not exactly how I'd describe a wing coaster. I wanna say the reporter doesn't exactly know what's going in...and that'd be a huge jump in size for wing coasters

Edit: only 65 mph for a 300+ foot tall coaster...? And wow, an additional 400,000 guests just from that!

• Like 2

Top speed of 65mph for 300+ ft coaster, either this is a case of over engineering by B&M or they plan the longest trimmed braked drop that will take the world record from The Beast. Probably just the news playing into Cedar Fairs games, last time i recalled the so called expert the news interviewed for Kings Island Banshee told us we were getting a winged coaster with multiple world records. We all walked away from the park that august night with neither of those... Until i see footers I'm not going to believe what the news has to say, or the park for that matter, honestly why would the park come out and tell us what we are getting, this early. all i got to say is, COME ON MAN!

• Like 3