"Centurion" name registered by Cedar Fair

Remember the backlash when the name Gatekeeper was first found out about?

People just like to complain. It's like no matter what parks do for us, some people still can't get enough.

I really don't like the name "Gatekeeper" but overall its not the name that really matters, it's the ride itself.

• Like 4

Top speed of 65mph for 300+ ft coaster, either this is a case of over engineering by B&M or they plan the longest trimmed braked drop that will take the world record from The Beast. Probably just the news playing into Cedar Fairs games, last time i recalled the so called expert the news interviewed for Kings Island Banshee told us we were getting a winged coaster with multiple world records. We all walked away from the park that august night with neither of those... Until i see footers I'm not going to believe what the news has to say, or the park for that matter, honestly why would the park come out and tell us what we are getting, this early. all i got to say is, COME ON MAN!

I agree that the news is probably taking liberties, but the info is from a meeting between Cedar Fair and City council. There is a huge difference between what the park tells the general public and what the park tells a City Council when they are asking for zoning variances and tax incentives. If they tell the park they are building a $30 million coaster thats 300 foot tall to get a tax incentive, and built a $10 million coaster thats 150 foot tall, they risk running into legal trouble and problems ever getting anything approved again. Now a stat like speed, they can fudge. No one is going to complain if they overdeliver. If it ends up going 85 mph they can just say they reengineered it to go faster. The question is what all did they tell City Council. The 300 ft stat seems solid, but the rest of the info doesn't seem to be verified.

• Like 2

Well, for one thing that article says that this coaster will be a "giagacoaster."

Also, it also says that this coaster will be only the 3rd of its kind in the country. Well, there are already 3 giga coasters...And there are already 3 wing riders...And I can't think of any other type of coaster in the country that there are only 2 of. So I really don't believe anything in this article about the coaster except that it will be over 300 feet high and maybe its location.

• Like 1

I am personally waiting for CP's next ride to be called Zuul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still waiting for my donkey coaster.....

Centuries ago there once was an Centurion, who ironically landed in South & North Carolina. He guarded the gate to Carowinds for a great time.....till he was turned into a giga coaster, and to be encased in it for a great time.

BB1, wanting a Rome area installed soon to a Cedar Fair park.

• Like 2

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2013/09/charlotte-council-wrestles-carowinds.html?page=all

This article shows where the ride is going to sit and that its 300-315 foot tall. The interesting thing is, looking at the slideshow, that it suggests its going to be a wing coaster. Not sure if that is just whoever did the article taking liberties from the pictures used at the meeting, or if Cedar Fair themselves said that.

We had a discussion about this article on CC...

Almost everyone agrees that the reporter knows nothing about roller coasters.

Meanwhile, the sky coaster is being removed and (probably) rebuilt next to the NightHawk.

• 2 years later...

On a slightly unrelated subject (but relevant since it was mentioned that Carowinds Skyflyer was moved next to Nighthawk a few posts above), I wonder if Cedar Point has plans to re-install their Skycoaster (called RipCord) somewhere in the park for the 2017 season.  It was taken down from its current location in the now-defunct Challenge Park to make room for the water park expansion.

I found it very interesting how we sort of got it right but didn't. Carowinds got FURY 325, which does act like a Centurion, but the name must have dropped. In terms of what could come to Cedar Point? No clue, as it could be a new coaster called Centurion, but I would go along with something more on the lines with Streak or some western folklore.

On a slightly unrelated subject (but relevant since it was mentioned that Carowinds Skyflyer was moved next to Nighthawk a few posts above), I wonder if Cedar Point has plans to re-install their Skycoaster (called RipCord) somewhere in the park for the 2017 season. It was taken down from its current location in the now-defunct Challenge Park to make room for the water park expansion.

I recall seeing a recent post on another site with a picture of the STR site being ripped up, so that is a somewhat logical possibility, as any other possible place would be a really tight fit. I wouldn't imagine that it is all that expensive to install it, so maybe it would be a temporary install until they decide to put something more permanent on that site?

I also have heard speculation that it could go to the new Sports Park.

My wife and I rode the version at SFSTL some 20 odd years ago but not since. I did notice buried on their website a few years ago they had an all season pass pass offer for it so for about $60 you could ride it one time each visit to the park. I don't think my boys are ready for it yet, but if they were and CF offered something similar I would really consider it.

• Like 1

On a slightly unrelated subject (but relevant since it was mentioned that Carowinds Skyflyer was moved next to Nighthawk a few posts above), I wonder if Cedar Point has plans to re-install their Skycoaster (called RipCord) somewhere in the park for the 2017 season. It was taken down from its current location in the now-defunct Challenge Park to make room for the water park expansion.

I recall seeing a recent post on another site with a picture of the STR site being ripped up, so that is a somewhat logical possibility, as any other possible place would be a really tight fit. I wouldn't imagine that it is all that expensive to install it, so maybe it would be a temporary install until they decide to put something more permanent on that site?

My wife and I rode the version at SFSTL some 20 odd years ago but not since. I did notice buried on their website a few years ago they had an all season pass pass offer for it so for about $60 you could ride it one time each visit to the park. I don't think my boys are ready for it yet, but if they were and CF offered something similar I would really consider it.

I have seen a recent post as well where the STR site is being ripped up. All of the rumors I've heard from various sources have been that RipCord would be relocated there.  

They are keeping it on Point...from what I understand it won't be going to Sports Force.

• Like 1

I have seen a recent post as well where the STR site is being ripped up. All of the rumors I've heard from various sources have been that RipCord would be relocated there.  

They are keeping it on Point...from what I understand it won't be going to Sports Force.

Honestly Ripcord at Sports Force Park would make sense... I really hope they don't decide to put it on top of the remains of Shoot The Rapids, that space would be great for a Mack Watercoaster or GCI Woodie