Coaster Clubs?

fanofFirehawk

Years and years ago, I remember the Interpreter saying that Robb Alvey was the only person he could think of who made a living off of being a roller coaster enthusiast. I'll never forget that.

EDIT: Originally typed "professional roller coaster enthusiast" but it didn't seem appropriate.

• Like 1

Depends. If your name is Bob Avery. . .

I'd ask how old you are, but I'd probably get a classic odd old fashioned Terp response.

At least he runs a functioning website that takes its members on amazing, organized trips around the world full of great perks. He's also a funny, talented guy when it comes to videos and running events and communicating with park officials. I've met tons of great people through TPR and even had park managers approach me because they saw my photos on TPR. I don't understand why people trash it with boring, childish jokes on this site.

I keep to a club, of which the site has helped me greatly in my theme park endeavors. As I have said many times before on a different place, if you like the site and what it stands for, join the club, you are bound to have fun and get access to great events. ( I already have events that I am going to in 2014! )It is a great privilege to be recognized as part of a club at a park, because they could just as easily not accept any club and get on with it, but the parks listen to their enthusiasts and that in itself is a great thing.

• Like 5

I've just joined GOCC. The membership is a Christmas present from my parents, which makes it even better. The perks look very nice. I will be using, at the very least, the discounted admission to Dollywood. Now I have to ask, how do such perks work? Do I have to buy tickets at the park, or can I buy online and use some kind of access code? (Or should I say Accesso code! Ha! I'm funny... Right?)

I completely forgot about the GOCC discount when I bought my Dollywood tickets for my trip last weekend! Now, let's see... how do I Terpy-proof this next question? Can anyone tell me... no, that won't do it... Does anyone know... oops, that isn't it either... Ah, here we go: How much is the GOCC Dollywood discount? I couldn't find it on the GOCC website. I'm sure I have it at home with my GOCC stuff, but I'm not there right now. I wonder if it's less than what I paid at AAA with that discount.

I've just joined GOCC. The membership is a Christmas present from my parents, which makes it even better. The perks look very nice. I will be using, at the very least, the discounted admission to Dollywood. Now I have to ask, how do such perks work? Do I have to buy tickets at the park, or can I buy online and use some kind of access code? (Or should I say Accesso code! Ha! I'm funny... Right?)

I completely forgot about the GOCC discount when I bought my Dollywood tickets for my trip last weekend! Now, let's see... how do I Terpy-proof this next question? Can anyone tell me... no, that won't do it... Does anyone know... oops, that isn't it either... Ah, here we go: How much is the GOCC Dollywood discount? I couldn't find it on the GOCC website. I'm sure I have it at home with my GOCC stuff, but I'm not there right now. I wonder if it's less than what I paid at AAA with that discount.

$5 off a one-day ticket at the gate, only for the member him/herself (in other words, you can't use your membership to buy tickets for all of your friends).

OK, thanks. We have a family membership for the three of us. The base price with the GOCC would have been cheaper, but add in the sales tax that's charged at the park (and not charged at AAA) and we got a better deal with AAA.

$156.60 at AAA versus approximately $162.07 after tax (amount before tax is $144.00) with GOCC discount at the park.

• Like 2

but add in the sales tax that's charged at the park (and not charged at AAA)

Sales tax was almost certainly charged in this case. I believe that AAA includes any sales or admission tax in their listed prices for attraction tickets as a convenience for their customers.

Sales tax would generally apply based on where the ticket is exchanged for something of value (admission at Dollywood's front gate), not based on where the ticket is physically purchased (AAA store in Ohio, where admission is not taxed). The same thing happens if you buy a gift card in one state and redeem it for merchandise in another.

I am a forum member of TPR but I don't really post much their and I don't really think I would join their Club. It seems like you have to have a lot of posts their, be a part of their club etc. to actually be respected. I just logon mostly to see their RCT2 and RCT3 stuff in their games section. Its great for some people but not really for me.

• Like 3

I think the problem within a lot of clubs and even some fan sites lies in that there are members who feel they have something over everyone else and are therefore in the mindset that they are better than everyone else. That kind of mentality sparks fires and distaste, especially for those who may not be as well traveled or enlightened.

I know for myself, I have had a passion and love for all things roller coaster/park related for 11 years of my life and have studied and absorbed as much information as I could over that period of time ( and still am ). I may still not know as much as some, but I am a student of my passion as ANYONE should be.

I also know that even thought I may not have met any of you ( yet ) and have just joined GOCC for this year, I will say so far the expereince on this site and by way of hearing about how great GOCC is, I will find myself right at home with those who are like minded...and that is what matters most. I may not post nearly as much as some of you on here, but I DO care about what is being said and I feel compassionate about Kings Island and any other great park out there as all of you do.

I think many people forget the main purpose is to have fun and share in that fun with like minded individuals, get together, make friends and make memories...not to come in like a know it all and act like not one elses feelings/opinions matter. What happened to friendly discussion? I feel this is expereinced everywhere in every corner of the world...and I will tell you as someone who was once very active in the equine world beyond my home barn-man oh man....don't get me started! Those people were rather rude and had that same shovenist attitude...and probably worse than anything I have ever seen on a coaster enthusiast site!

Anywho, I guess my point is, join a club you feel positive about and just be yourself.

• Like 9

For those who are considering ACE, read this page- http://www.aceonline.org/conduct/

Seems pretty standard until you read C.4.

4. When interacting with representatives of the press or media, members are expected to speak enthusiastically about all parks and roller coasters. While members may have strong opinions about certain parks or roller coasters, they are to avoid negative criticism to representatives of the press or media.

.While this may seem like it is only limited to media this has been corrupted many a time. A few years back a user on this site was removed from his title as an ACE officer for criticizing Cedar Point's management on this site. This user was not interacting with representative of the press or media or speaking under the ACE title but was removed by a lurker and a bully who took his position in a Fan Club too far. While TPR may be obnoxious and has a Dictator-for-life as their head ACE does often acts as the police of coaster enthusiasts (probably why you've never heard of a "GOCC coaster classic" and how the general "Coaster Con" is an ACE event). Just a little more to consider when choosing a coaster club.

• Like 1

I joined GOCC in the spring about 2 months before Gatekeepers media day and i havent looked back since! The people in thr club are great and really fun to talk to, and not to mention the coaster club events! I havent been able to go to many events due to our athletic schedule, but once i am done with college i will forsure take part in many more events. That being said, besides the different expenses of thr clubs, you really cant go wrong. The people are great and the events are wonderful!

• Like 3

Different clubs have very different atmospheres, purposes and memberships. Sometimes, it takes a while to figure out where you do (or don't) fit.

As I've said before, GOCC is great people who enjoy coasters, parks and each other. Certain other organizations have far more varied agendas, and power struggles even. When seen from the outside, or as a newbie, it may not at first be apparent.

For instance, if a club has had the same leadership for years and has very expensive trips, you might wonder where any excess revenue over expenses goes.

Terp, just sayin

• Like 3