Action Zone Re-theming for 2014

Kat

As a teenager, I'm going to let you know that even we think the music is awful. We can hear that garbage on the car ride, what we really want is the themed music.

I must agree. As I am also a teenager, I don't like waiting in line for Diamondback while listening to Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus.

You two are not necessarily reflective of the majority of teenagers though. I'm barely into my twenties, so Lady Gaga and the like definitely existed when I was a teenager. And unlike you two, I personally enjoyed their music. It may not be the best quality or what-not, but it's catchy and entertaining.

That's not to say I personally wouldn't want themed music though.

I'd have to agree with this. As a 16 year old, I personally do like this so-called mainstream" music; however, I would prefer themed music. And, I honestly think most teens would have no problem with the themed music.

• Like 2

And, I honestly think most teens would have no problem with the themed music.

Music is an important part of merchandising. The park presumably wants to include songs that make the current generation happy - that they sing along with. This means including modern pop. Happy guests make more impulsive purchase and are more likely to return.

Most of the current soundtrack is fine - there's a rather wide variety from different genres and eras. I just wish that they'd play classical music on International Street, turn down the speakers in Coney Mall, and cull pop songs with depressing lyrics from the playlist.

Pop music and the Royal Fountains really don't mix well. This creates a rather jarring theme, and the acoustics of that area don't work well at all with pop.

• Like 10

If you want to see a small scale test of "older" music being implemented in the park look no further that The Racer's station music. The music being played in the station ranges from the mid 50's to the mid 80's and has had major popularity across all age groups. It's really impressive to see people who rode The Racer in 72' all the way to people who will ride it for the first time all sing along to "I Love Rock and Roll" as the wait in line.

Also keep in mind that Teenagers may be a target audience but that does not mean that they spent the most money. Teens have a season pass their parents bought them and don't spend much beyond that. Young families spend the most money because they usually are on a one-time visit so they in turn play the games, eat the food and buy the souvenirs.

• Like 14

I would like each area of the park to receive thematically appropriate background music. There were a couple of times last season when I was walking through International Street listening to Taylor Swift's "Trouble" over the speakers. Great song, but it doesn't fit well with the European theming.

• Like 9

You two are not necessarily reflective of the majority of teenagers though. I'm barely into my twenties, so Lady Gaga and the like definitely existed when I was a teenager. And unlike you two, I personally enjoyed their music. It may not be the best quality or what-not, but it's catchy and entertaining.

That's not to say I personally wouldn't want themed music though.

Yes.

Unfortunately this is true. I think it's safe to say that most teenagers WOULD, no matter how unfitting, prefer to listen to mainstream garbage that is spewed daily on the radio rather than "Rivertown-y" style music while standing in line for The Beast.

In all honesty, I would prefer no music. :)

• Like 2

Disney plays Disney made soundtracks that are theme approprate...I dont think I've ever heard mainstream licensed music at DW or DL.I could be wrong, though...

Not everything at WDW is original music by Disney- even Wonders of Life and the pre-1994 Tomorrowland used music by others. 1994 Tomorrowland used Raymond Scott music. Innoventions Plaza uses some David Arkenstone music (

might sound familiar...). Unfortunately, the days of 100% original scores in the parks seem to be over. :( Obviously not the same as playing Lady Gaga in line for Spaceship Earth, but it's still not New Horizons and Fun to Be Free.
  • Like 3

Speaking of singing along, me and my friend Logan got some people really annoyed in line for Diamondback becuase Lady GaGa's Applause came on and we did this really crappy dance and sang along really badly, it was really fun!!!!!!

One second I'm The Beast, then suddenly The Beast is me.

• Like 5

When I was a teen-ager, I preferred the theme music. During the early 80's, I never saw a teen-ager holding their ears, gnashing their teeth, and rolling around on the ground due to hearing Dixieland.

It was part of the park experience.

Why all this kowtowing to bad taste?

The Sabre Dance never hurt anyone along International Street.

• Like 10

80' s on 8... All day when I got I work...everyday and Sirius has No commercials. Granted I

Since it's not summer I can only go to work when I'm off school because it's an orthodontist office that closes at 5.

• Like 3

Take on Me, seriously, Resistance is futile, although, I am in these Little Black Submarines, sadly, the Tide is High and the classics will not be holding on with the new craze.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Disney plays Disney made soundtracks that are theme approprate...I dont think I've ever heard mainstream licensed music at DW or DL.I could be wrong, though...

Not everything at WDW is original music by Disney- even Wonders of Life and the pre-1994 Tomorrowland used music by others. 1994 Tomorrowland used Raymond Scott music. Innoventions Plaza uses some David Arkenstone music (
might sound familiar...). Unfortunately, the days of 100% original scores in the parks seem to be over. :( Obviously not the same as playing Lady Gaga in line for Spaceship Earth, but it's still not New Horizons and Fun to Be Free.

I love Raymond Scott. That would be an interesting playlist at a theme park.

I grew up in the '80s. I love the music. I still listen to Duran Duran, Hall & Oates, the Police, etc.

However, the 50's is probably my favorite decade of music. Buddy Holly is probably my favorite musician of all times. Then with Elvis, Everly Brothers, Nat King Cole, Patsy Cline, Sam Cooke, Chuck Berry (and many, many more) you have amazing music that stands the test of time. Plus, poodle skirts and sock hops, I was born way too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I don't know why teens today hate music from the 80's and earlier. I remember enjoying listening to In The Air Tonight and other 80's songs in line for Invertigo. I don't look forward to the day when amusement parks play nothing but JB and 1D.

Do teens today hate music from the 80's? They don't listen to it, but they don't necessarily hate it. Really, if new artists never came to be, they would probably still like it. I would say the biggest reason they don't like it is because they don't want to listen to the same music as their parents.

• Like 1

Goodman and Dorsey, I can see doing well in the park. Prima's "Sing Sing Sing" to me, is timeless.

My 20 year old niece is going through a life rant against manufactured music, I can't say she's part of a trend, because she's always hated Autotune. I'd never thought I'd see the day when my music was seen as new.

Doesn't mean I don't hope this outrage is the beginning of a nationwide trend, I'm not fond of Autotune, either.

• Like 3

"That's too old school pops, here's some good music, though it mocks the Shakespearean idea of speech and it talks about terrible things!"

Beatles or Elvis?

I'll say both, and the modern "pop" culture music, which I hear only "la la la" and a few slurs which are "cut out".

BB1, who will listen to his own music at KI, just not on the rides of course.

• Like 3