The Bat flies again at Kings Island

Guest KingsIslandPR

Just to echo what many members have already said, I truly do believe that the park and chain as a whole is in very good hands now. I think most of us saw this coming but I believe it when Don (I believe it was him sorry if I am paraphrase quoting the wrong person) said park fans and enthusiasts clamoring for The Bat and that played heavily into the decision. It seems the park cares more about guest experience and desires than ever (in my lifetime).

• Like 18

This is absolutely fantastic news in every way. Flight Deck's state of neglect over the past years had become downright depressing, and it's truly wonderful that Kings Island has decided to give the ride the love it very much deserves. That ride, whatever it is called, should always be considered one of the most treasured rides at Kings Island, and hopefully its rejuvenation as The Bat will help return it to that level of prestige and respect. I cannot wait to see how it turns out.

As an aside, I have to say that the current management has done nothing but impress me over the past few years. Every investment seems to be made in the wisest way possible, and is clearly helping Kings Island to become the best possible park that it can be. I look forward to more good things to come and hopefully a very long period of good times ahead.

• Like 8

This retheming, along with Banshee is really going to bring that part of the park to life. The only thing that would make it better would be to rename the whole area. There is even more potential for AZ now. Some fog on both rides would be great, especially at night.

• Like 4

I think it would be really cool to recycle the old Bat commercial during opening season. It's a good bit of nostalgia that would surprise guests to see after 32 years, especially since they know of Banshee being built, they wouldn't expect to see that commercial next year along with Banshee commercials.

• Like 14

Honestly, since CF bought the property it has continuously improved. Customer Service, cleanliness, etc. I think they do value their customers. I think just acknowledging the fan backing in why they opted to change the name to The Bat speaks volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

So with Banshee and now The Bat we now have a little subsection on our hands don't we. Whether or not it will actually be officially considered by the park as Spooky Hallow or not we won't know until next season. But really we will consider it that way, or at least I will. If you take a look at the map than you realize that in our little paradise there is something out of place isn't there. Yeah! Xtreme Sky flyer is smack dab in the middle between Banshee and (now) The Bat. Now this got me thinking, well if they are Rename/retheming Flight Deck to The Bat to compliment the new attraction for 2014 and to give a tip of the hat to worlds first suspended coaster. Now if they did that why have such and Action Zoney ride right there. Hmmm? Maybe we are still awaiting more surprises. A new name for this pay per ride attraction which being right next to these new guest magnets will also rake in a lot of money. We all suspect that Flight Deck/ The Bat will experience an large increase in ridership so it was spruced up and given possibly a more manageable queue to handle this predicted new ridership. So can we expect a new name and theme to fit Xtreme Sky Flyer. I can only hope. I have also liked the idea of completely revamping Action Zone (sound familiar? :)) to fit this new ride. There apparently is trend here of giving rides some new names and here at Kings Island in partially one that have been used previously. So, I would like LOVE to see an overhaul of the area. I liked the idea of Drop Tower becoming Demon Drop or Invertigo getting a new name ( think it would be a little awkward to have Demon Drop and Scream Demon right next each other).

Over all this an outstanding direction to see the park go and like many, many of you have said you think that Kings Island and the entire chain is good hands. And I absolutely agree, this is AWESOME, I just hope to the heavens that this continues and we keep getting surprises along the way throughout the entire off season. Aswell as in the future.

• Like 6

^^(Firehawkfan) I think you are right...so far they have listened. Perhaps we can help to redesign the zone along with them....I for one like the idea to make the entire area a medieval village.

1.Someone mentioned Demon Drop...Does CF still own the rights to that name? Great name for a castle turret façade for Drop Tower....preferably into a dark tunnel with fog.

2.Deliriums name could remain the same, just repaint the ride to something more dark and foreboding...perhaps a patina color

3.I mentioned in another thread that Congo Falls, could be converted into an indoor ride with (as someone else added) an interactive queue line. I think it could be torture chamber themed with the hill dropping into darkness...with animation from the splashdown back to the station. Suggested name...."The Darkness"

4.Invertigo - could keep the name and color scheme. Kind of fits a medieval theme.

5. What could Skyflier be called....Im at a loss.

6. the entire square could be updated with pavers and the shops, food and restrooms could be castle-ized. with a fake drawbridge entrance.

what do you folks think?

• Like 5

I feel like this site would be helpful in renaming Xtreme Sky flyer.

Some of your Ideas are epic but might be a little out of Cedar Fairs range like enclosing Congo Falls, which wouldn't be unheard of (DT) but that might be a little much for them with already adding a 24 million dollar coaster, like Banshee. I loved the idea of turning Drop Tower's queue into a castle like structure with torches and such that would be amazing!
  • Like 2

I don't think they would make such drastic changes within one season, but over time these things could occur. I think if anything, we might see pavers first and updates over time....I'd love to see a full change, but it would take more than 24 million to do it all at once.

But in due time...who knows!

• Like 2

I'm glad to see big changes, there are only a few small changes I'd like to see in the future past this and I'd be fine with nothing big done for awhile...just small quick suggestions to throw down here...

No more blacktop, make Tower area attractive, beautiful, ect, bring Tower Gardens alive with this as well, and do something with the tower stage deal, the shows there are terrible. I'd remove for something else or even better views of DB (kinda like what CP did with the big screen in front of CPLERR)

Repaint Vortex and DB

Return splashdown to BLSC, consider a repaint, black is kinda lame for such a neat visual coaster

Better live E

• Like 4

If they enclose Congo Falls, I hope they turn the heat inside the building up into the 80s. Then I can sanely ride it no matter what the temperature is outside. :)

Think of the humidity in that building. I like the idea of enclosing the lift and turnaround, but I like the drop open. But just think how ugly that would be. Better to leave it alone in my opinion. Unless they want to rename it. But I'm at a loss for spooky names. Maybe something related to the mythical river Styx?

Or they could subtly imply a relationship to the River Styx by calling it "Boat on a River". But my Crystal Ball informed me that to expect that is just a Grand Illusion. And to expect them to change that ride too after just changing The Bat, you're just Fooling Yourself, and if it doesn't happen, you won't be having The Best of Times.

And I think this post has established that I have Too Much Time on my Hands.

• Like 11

If they enclose Congo Falls, I hope they turn the heat inside the building up into the 80s. Then I can sanely ride it no matter what the temperature is outside. :)

Think of the humidity in that building. I like the idea of enclosing the lift and turnaround, but I like the drop open. But just think how ugly that would be. Better to leave it alone in my opinion. Unless they want to rename it. But I'm at a loss for spooky names. Maybe something related to the mythical river Styx?

Or they could subtly imply a relationship to the River Styx by calling it "Boat on a River". But my Crystal Ball informed me that to expect that is just a Grand Illusion. And to expect them to change that ride too after just changing The Bat, you're just Fooling Yourself, and if it doesn't happen, you won't be having The Best of Times.

I don't know what you're making references to, but it's still funny. :lol:

As for me, I was just trying to make a subtle jab at those of us that rode the log flume Sunday. :P

• Like 1

You have a point about the humidity. I'm sure there would need to be climate control of some kind.. Of course I was seeing a castle type structure in my mind, not a Crypt type building. But the drop could be quite similar to Jurassic Park River Ride where it is enclosed until the boat splashes down in the open. Our version could reenter a building after the splashdown, I would think.

Or perhaps....something bigger and better could go there...

and it could be named "Lost River" to fit the theme and bring back some nostalgia....

• Like 4

Good grief! They rename and repaint one ride, and you guys want them to start constructing buildings and castles around other rides? This isn't Islands Of Adventure! :)

So who's still going to call it Top Gun?

::Raises hand:: I probably will. Not on purpose, but it will happen.

Finally getting an orange ride. This will look good.

Just leaving this here.

Finally getting an orange ride. This will look good.

are the rails on The Vortex not orange??

They are and some of Flying Ace Aerial Chase is also orange, but I wouldn't say that is the primary color on either ride.

This color scheme is amazing, but, as a Longhorn fan, I'm kind of biased.

• Like 3