The Bat flies again at Kings Island

Guest KingsIslandPR

How long did it take you to do that? Way cool!

Not too long. I used a picture that showed a very limited portion of the ride to make it easier. Then I selected and placed different elements (track, train, supports etc) on varying layers so I could adjust the hues individually but retain things such as glare and shading to make it seem more realistic. I tried to cover up some of the sharp edges by blurring them which worked so-so at best.

I'm definitely very amateur with photoshop, but, I like doing things like these just to get a quick idea of what it could look like in the future.

Great editing! I want to say that the trains are going to be all black...but not sure if I read the press release right.

Yeah, I think you're right, but, I did it like this as kind of a cheat. The picture I used was from when the track was red. This made it easier to convert to orange. I went ahead and kept the band of color on the trains as well to make it appear a little more realistic.

Edited by tubaman
  • Like 5

I believe the press release did say black trains but maybe just maybe they will roll with that rendering with the orange stripe because that looks REALLY sweet... I can't say I have ever seen a bat with orange on it but still :P we are talking about a coaster here not the animal lol

I believe the press release did say black trains but maybe just maybe they will roll with that rendering with the orange stripe because that looks REALLY sweet... I can't say I have ever seen a bat with orange on it but still :P we are talking about a coaster here not the animal lol

Oh, an orange stripe goes very well with black/charcoal ;) Especially in the case of a Lamborghini Murciélago, which is the Spanish name for a BAT!

Lamborghini-Murcielago-LP670-4-SuperVelo

• Like 8

I think it would be cool to see the lift enclosed but I'm not counting on it.

i do like the idea of making the station over to look bit like a bell tower. Hopefuly they will do something with it.

Also would be cool to see them do something with the bridge you pass under at teh start of the queue line. Think it would look good if they gave it a cave look with some LED light eyes in a few spots to look like bats peering out. It's such a small spot that it could probably be done pretty easily and would make a big impact.

• Like 3

I would say we will probably see a new queue under The Bat; with the typical back and forth rows. By tearing all the old Top Gun stuff out, they can now build a solid floor across. Would be nice if the station was transformed into a old barn. You come out of the barn at the top of the lift and go back in at the final brake. I will try some PS magic this weekend.

• Like 4

When Top Gun opened, there was fog in the station. I wonder if the fog machines are still there? This would be a perfect excuse to fire them up again! The spookier, the better.

Everything under the station was take out. Plus it would look really funny with fog coming out the backside of The Bat cars.

• Like 1

When Top Gun opened, there was fog in the station. I wonder if the fog machines are still there? This would be a perfect excuse to fire them up again! The spookier, the better.

Perhaps they will use the special Shark Repellent Bat Spray, which may or may not be readily available.

• Like 4

^And you're still missing the whole point of renaming Flight Deck to The Bat.

^^

And if you were a paid designer for the park, you'd design within the parameters you were given. If you didn't, you'd likely be a former paid designer. Maybe the paid part. Probably not.

Maybe I dont get it. I just feel like The Bat deserves more respect than to rename an old existing ride to The Bat. I like the new Logo, I love the colors. The storied history of Kings Island should not include uncreativity and rehashing. You wont hear no more from me about it. Its just lots of other cool things it could had been themed. Don't get me wrong Ill ride it and Love it. I just hope somebody understands how I feel about our Kings Island.

• Like 1

Don was just on 700 WLW talking about The Bat and the park in general.

• He talked about The Bat being an appropriate name for Flight Deck because of how a bat swoops around gracefully and dives unexpectedly. He confirmed that the ride itself would not change.
  • The host brought up the Half Pint Brawlers and how he loved them, which led into a general discussion about Haunt shows and Ed Alonzo, which segued into the possibility of a Saved By the Bell cast reunion with Ed Alonzo and the challenges faced in doing so (I missed most of that portion).
  • HW's Wildebeest and Mammoth were brought up by the host and Don called a water coaster a "great suggestion" IIRC.
  • Discussion was had about setting a record for most rides on one coaster; Don suggested doing it on Banshee since you would be able to start at zero with everyone else (he also briefly mentioned doing so himself back in the 80s but did not mention hitting 12,000).
  • There was general discussion about wooden coasters being rough; Don likes them a little rough.

There may have been other topics discussed, but I was not able to pay undivided attention to the segment, so I might have missed something.

• Like 10

Don was just on 700 WLW talking about The Bat and the park in general.

• He talked about The Bat being an appropriate name for Flight Deck because of how a bat swoops around gracefully and dives unexpectedly. He confirmed that the ride itself would not change.
  • The host brought up the Half Pint Brawlers and how he loved them, which led into a general discussion about Haunt shows and Ed Alonzo, which segued into the possibility of a Saved By the Bell cast reunion with Ed Alonzo and the challenges faced in doing so (I missed most of that portion).
  • HW's Wildebeest and Mammoth were brought up by the host and Don called a water coaster a "great suggestion" IIRC.
  • Discussion was had about setting a record for most rides on one coaster; Don suggested doing it on Banshee since you would be able to start at zero with everyone else (he also briefly mentioned doing so himself back in the 80s but did not mention hitting 12,000).
  • There was general discussion about wooden coasters being rough; Don likes them a little rough.
There may have been other topics discussed, but I was not able to pay undivided attention to the segment, so I might have missed something.

Ooh water coaster!! :) I am now starting Team Water Coaster 2019!!! Anyone else wanna join??? :)

• Like 5

^^ I think that a "signature" slide complex is much more likely as the next waterpark addition. The park is missing one, capacity could be better than a water coaster, variable staffing is an option, and Cedar Fair has been adding them lately. It would also be big and flashy, drawing guests into the park.

I would really like a water coaster, though, if you couldn't tell from my avatar. (Even though I don't often do waterparks.)

• Like 6

I really want a water coaster after seeing the one on Intamin's website a few nights ago, Divertical. It just looks freaky and awesome at the same time :)

I think a water coaster (as in, roller coaster-water coaster (Mack), not water slide-water coaster (Proslide)) would be perfect in Tower Gardens. It could be called "The Expedition" and utilize the waterfall structure for the lift and drop. It could also possibly go inside the waterfall at some point of the ride. :)

• Like 4