The Bat flies again at Kings Island

Guest KingsIslandPR

I would have thought they would have to sandblast or something before they painted it? Looks good though

They may have. Prep work began around two weeks ago. Don't know what all was involved with that but I'm sure sandblasting or something to smooth everything out was done before applying new paint.

i am curious... what kind of tools are used to paint coasters either ones being put together in a factory or ones already standing?

In the factory, my assumption would be that the track is powder coated. I have noticed a much nicer sheen to newly manufactured coasters that repainted ones don't quite get. Case in point, Gatekeeper looked much shinier this season than Invertigo just after its repainting, and the color is very similar.

• Like 1

just checked the webcam again and i dont think thats a crane because its in the exact same spot and hasnt moved since monday and if you look close enough you can see the track of the first drop is much lighter like a primer coat of paint. i think its safe to say they have started painting the first drop orange. could be wrong though...

No part of the ride has been repainted yet.

^I tend to believe this guy, I'm sure he knows what he is talking about!

you were saying? sry just had too. and that orange looks better already.

Yeah I was saying, I tend to believe Don for his word. At the time of posting, painting had not began. At 8:57 AM paint had not been applied, that little amount I'm sure was painted between 8:57 - 3:34 PM. :P

• Like 2

I don't think it would do well in outdoor elements.

IIRC The Bat was used outside during Haunt pre-Crypt era.

Actually that particular prop wasn't around for the 2007 Haunt; the closest resemblance to it was the alien that originally resided underneath the water tower:

CrawlDeux2b.jpg

Not surprisingly, most of the props and animatronics scattered throughout the event are from Unit 70 Studios, a company just up north near Columbus. Several companies specialize in manufacturing props for haunted attractions, but I've always liked Unit 70 because theirs look the most realistic both in design and function.

• Like 1

It looks as though they're priming it.

Notice how the support circled it darker than most.

And the track circled is whiter than most.

mtuj.jpg

What are you Peter Pan?! It's called shadows and reflection!

yeah, fly with me to neverland. all you need to do is believe and a little pinch of pixie dust.

but they are in fact different colors.

• Like 2

Yea but if you paint a car you dont just paint over the old paint, you remove it first.

I wonder if this is really true? With a vehicle you should not go to bare metal since the initial factory paint process essentially "bakes" the paint into the metal and has the best possible adherence to the metal. Primer, filling and wet sanding directly effect the smooth texture desired on the automobile - not how well the paint adheres. In other words, it is extremely difficult to duplicate the "sticking quality" of the factory paint coat. Kinda makes me wonder if the initial process for coaster painting is similar? Having been involved in several stripping and resurfacing jobs myself, there will be need for sanding and prep work on the coaster, but I don't believe there is a need to go down to bare metal. Can anyone else shed light on this subject?

It's not all about making the paint adhere better but making it smooth. You don't want fresh paint over old peeling paint for a few reasons.

It doesn't look good and won't last as long. If the old paint is peeling and you put new paint on it it looks bad and before long the new paint will peel off too in the spots where it was peeling before. You don't go town to bare metal, but sand it and smooth everything out first, then apply primer and then your top color then usually a clear coat to seal it, depends what you're painting.