KIC Closing Weekend Trip Report

thedevariouseffect

Well...this part of the forum will probably remain dormant for quite some time, anyways to start things off here is a quick video montage my phone automatically makes, again...but wow, it's actually pretty fitting for the end of the season, pretty nifty montage...also note, lots of pics and details, pretty long report, and does get emotional at the end..

Saturday...T-One Day...It's happening too fast

Anyways, Saturday night I figured, hey the park is going to close soon, so me and Lindzey decided to head in and check it out. Once we got to the park, man it was somewhat packed. It was a rather blustery day too! First things first we headed to tower to take a look at everything. Once up there we saw some pretty impressive sights. First DB was being evaced! One train in the station, the other two on the brakes. I did not officially find out why but all I can imagine was it was very cold and windy, thus they had to stop operating the ride. Last thing they would want to do is dispatch empty trains to get them into the station to unload so this was the best decision I guess. Also other rides were creeping along as well, both Vortex and Racer were near stalling, I really wish I would have gotten footage of that. Nothing valleyed or had problems other than going down for wind/mechanical but man...

Anyways once we got to the bottom we headed over to take a gander at Banshee, man every week they have been knocking this ride out! The dive loop was complete and a good bit of the loop was constructed, waiting to be connected and topped off. Also that dive loop is RIGHT THERE. When you watch the POV, it is right on the midway just like it looks, that support is right at the edge of the fence, very impressive. My only worry is if people are stupid and have any loose articles, I can see loose objects making it to the midway. Anyways back to the ride just WOW. It's low to the ground, looks like it has amazing sharp turns, and just very aesthetically pleasing. Next few photos show off how awesome the ride is

903482_10202389726653051_22740355_o.jpg

1397450_10202389728493097_248388168_o.jp

996965_10202389728733103_956574386_n.jpg

1394169_10202389730573149_357162036_n.jp

554963_10202389732573199_440304198_n.jpg

1404697_10202389733813230_666209144_o.jp

1379729_10202389738253341_979879944_n.jp

Anyways were about to head back and do some rides when we met up with a friend that worked at the park, he was just getting off of the clock so we decided to go hang out with him for the night. After looking at ride lines we figured, hey it's the last night of the haunt, lets do those esp considering we never had a day we just did them all. Anyways we went through all of the haunts except for CarnEvil. All of the haunts were, well ok. You could tell staffing was pretty low, and also with the sheer volume of people at haunt, we were congo lined through the mazes and houses. Board To Death is still just, original, good ideas, pretty good setup, but eh, not really scary. Cornstalkers is a huge improvement, I like the new location and the actors really do a pretty good job in there. The Bayou deal is pretty nice, for the few actors in there they did do good, I even jumped in there. The rest were the same as usual as everyone else has reported. The highlight of the haunt night was Ed Alonzo's show. Holy ****...his vulgarity, raunchiness, humor, tricks, dancing, ect. was at his all time best. I have seen his shows tons of times, even his haunt versions, but wow. I haven't laughed that hard in quite some time. Hopefully someone did manage to get a video of him, because just, wow..Very good show. As I've said before I hope KI gets him next year, if not it's going to be difficult to get a show in that theater to meet or exceed what he's done. We left the park at about midnight and planned to go into the park the next day to meet up with all the KIC'ers...good day of haunt, the next day time to hit the rides!

Sunday funday, except it means the season ends at Kings Island...

We woke up, got dressed and sped down to the park in record time (whilst driving an old champagne chevy malibu like grandma car, impressive--Sorry Linz, had to ;P). Anyways got to the gate at about 40 minutes before ERT opened. First on my list to address here, to whoever the woman was who complained about the KIC line and how we were "cutting." Let me address a few things to you and your husband/other guests who apparently post on KIC too. One, Don sees our posts just as much as anyone else here and reads through them frequently, and this is something KIC has done all season and probably a few seasons worth of time as well might I add. If there was a problem he probably would have said something. Two, if guest services didn't care to do anything, and then Don soon after, you should have realized it's no big deal. Three, the lines at opening go through quickly as each lane has two "registers" you and your family got in exactly 10 seconds after I did in the line, if you need to be 10 seconds ahead because we apparently cut, you need to loosen your schedule and unwind a bit. Four, to whoever the individual male was who threatened and tried to scold me like I was his son (this was hilarious), you need to calm your jets, especially considering your intimidation, lame anger, and ragequitting does nothing towards me, your intimidation to me and the other KICers was...again humorous. Again if you're concerned with a 10 second difference in getting a bobblehead and getting into the park (which happened to not let us through the gate for ERT for a few more minutes anyways), you need to unwind, loosen up, and move on. This was CLOSING DAY, smile, enjoy it, make memories, and relax and take it in. People like those individuals I have addressed...seriously calm down, possibly get a hypertension medication like HCTZ or something, and possible counseling/anger management. Now that I've shut down the butthurt individuals, time to move on. Also, just this little disclaimer :P

Do not consider user-generated content on this website as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on this website. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. I understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately

Now, onto ERT! First up was DB, as per usual for just about everyone. Once on platform I sat up front in I believe row five left. Great ride as usual, little bit of vibration, but still fun. Now only drawback was the ride hadn't warmed up yet and still had some wind so it wasn't as good as normal, and was quite chilly. Once off we made the decision to run through The Beast. Night runs are always great, but man not a bad morning run. I miss the one guy spieling that sounded like Gerard Butler, but ah well, good ride. Oh well, forgot one part that did suck, the crew. The crew was pretty bad that morning, it was so bad the ride stacked for about 5 minutes in the shed. Two trains sat on brakes (we were #1 on run) then one in the station until they eventually dispatched.

With ERT over, we decided to go get some more rides in. The group decided to head over and knock out FOF/FH before lines grew. FOF was eerie. No music, theming, minimal lighting, ect..Never have I experienced this, not even any sounds in the station, just..quiet. Anyways got on the ride and had fun, it was a bit jerky this time, I'm sure it's due for maint. like the other rides that have gotten rough so far. After the group wanted to do Firehawk, but I cancelled..My head got a bit sore so it was best to just sit back for a few extra minutes. After some talking and waiting for the groups to come back from FH/FOF rerides we headed to racer. The park was do dead! Racer was sending half trains, just on one side. When you see that you know it's going to be a good day. We got on, and had a great ride as per usual. Racer has def. received some TLC, it was a great ride as per it's usual this season. Anyways, we got off of there and decided to get a 2 dollar locker by Racer. These are still the manual key lockers not the computer ones. It's quite a deal too, instead of 2 bucks an hour, it was 2 bucks a day! Score! Anyways after cramming everything but the kitchen sink in the locker we went down to Banshee/Fight Deck. After a good view of construction we got some Flight Deck rides in, and even got some insider information and a fun brake stop with the original TG spiel (gillette razor spiel, very fun). After two great rides on a great arrow suspended, we headed to Tower Drinks for a group picture. As you can tell, very sunny, but it was great because that group really had grown once we met up at the tower.

994649_10151769252156723_1520575381_n.jp

After pics, everyone went off to get lunch. I waited for Linz to go on break to eat with her and eventually get off of shift for the final time. After lunch with her and she went back to her ride I met up with everyone at Delerium. Oh wow does it look very close to Banshee. That's ganna be a great ride interaction no doubt. I can't wait to see trains screaming through the dive loop with Delerium swinging towards the people on the train!

1424470_10202389740533398_32685774_n.jpg

Anyways from there we headed over to Ed Alonzo. It was nothing like Saturday's show, but still pretty good. After getting out of there we met up with the group at Vortex where apparently Terp made an appearance in the park. It was very nice to finally put a face to the name and whatnot. Ever elusive indeed. After that, time for another beast run. With the rides warmed up and crews doing a little better we got on beast. The crew still failed though, as this time we actually setup! We sat ontop of lift two for about 30 seconds before lift restart and dispatch! At first I thought it was because some dumbass a few rows up was trying to touch the wood and did successfully a few times, but apparently we block set. After enjoying a beast run again with the crew time to do a DB KIC ride too. This time rode the ride with Terp, lots of fun, and was a better ride than the morning, we had a bit more speed, but the vibration was there.

Afterwards, KIC had the bright idea to invade Planet Snoopy, which was so much fun. Riding flying ace was very, very fun...I still can't believe a full train of adults rode it haha. RIght after, the group decided to get on Planet Snoopy's 50 degree log ride...That ended...great

1397397_10202389746053536_2020823036_o.j

Well anyways good fun ride, then from there decided to head to AZ. We got a few rides in on Flight Deck while some people went on Sky Flyer for the first time, I hope they enjoyed it, I totally missed out on it. Then right next door to Drop Tower, always so, so much fun. Once off of Drop Tower we realized it was time to book it and head over to Beast for final rides.

Time to end the season...deep breath in...deep breath out.

After trying a few times to secure front of the train rides they announced final trains. I ended up getting in car one row three. I was really looking forward to ending with a front row night ride but ah well. For being somewhat dark, lights off on lift hills, ect. it was a great ride. Nice cold fall night flying through the woods. One of my more memorable trips on The Beast this season, especially because of these. Thanks again Don for taking these pictures, it means alot that I was able to get these memories. I got to spend the last public rides on beast with the best girlfriend ever. Be super jelly of these :P

1397672_10202389197039811_1755447296_o.j

1383713_10202389196999810_2135397909_n.j

One more train dispatched after ours and we waited for it to get back. Met up with a few friends and talked, then watched the ride ops and Don board the last ridden train of beast for the 2013 season. After waiting for them to get off we met up with everyone in the plaza and parted ways. From then on the park was starting to really empty out. It was empty, music still playing, lights off on several things, games cleared out, crews gone, Eiffel Tower off season security lights turned on, it was over. After that long, memorable, emotional, dragging walk to the front gate happened. I remember turning around, looking at the park from the gate. One last look at fountains running, Eiffel Tower lit up, music playing, larosas pizza in the air, happy memories, many many memories..after a glance, sigh, smirk, and kiss, time to exit the gate, shake hands with two very close friends now, and begin the drive home...

I never thought it would be this crazy. Kings Island is more than an amusement park

I met my girlfriend opening night 2011 on tower platform and I didn't even know it, it took two more unnoticed visits before I eventually found her in my queue and gave her my number. I made memories with a navy corpsman friend of mine who now is in Virginia ready to go to Italy next year in 2011, he's a brother personally, a brother in arms, and the same kindred in occupation. I met all of you on here and eventually in the park, I have learned, laughed, smiled, and talked with so many people inside of these gates and fences, and lost my voice yelling down hills. These all now, just memories. I only have them in my head now for awhile..something I will cherish, and many of you are there in those memories I will keep. I can't believe how attached to this website, park, and rides I have become. Beast isn't a thrill ride (well it is ok, shutup), but it's a passtime, it's a keepsake, it's a tradition, a passtime. Tower is a feeling, an emotion, riding up an elevator up an odd green structure just to look beyond fences into construction, see rides from above, feel a cool breeze on a summer day...

It's all over..

No more...

The feeling of leaving sucks, this summer flew by, and I got to enjoy so much of it with alot of you. For two years I'll be off doing my thing, in a country waaay waaay away, it's a paradise, but a part of me will really be staying here. Next year ride rides as much as you can. Run and sprint to try and get to the entrance of a ride right before closing, wait extra early for that live e show. Pay money and sit down with friends to get food while hearing not so great singing but good choreography. You'll never know when you won't do it again, and the season is short enough. I never thought this season until about July/Aug that I would only get one more summer in Ohio..again. Cherish and enjoy what the park offers, you may not know when you get to do it all again...

Now to enjoy the off season, watch the park change for 2014, and find the next set of memories elsewhere and spend my final moments with all of you, hopefully at the Holiday Party and possibly at an event in January if my outprocessing schedule doesn't conflict..

Enjoy the reading, and pics, I'll probably have more material like videos and stuff later, but this is enough to post for now

• Like 19

Absolutely Great Trip Report.

I loved the the quick video.

Did you know I sat in front of you on The Racer on sunday, you impressed The Racer operator with all of that fancy Cedar Fair talk.

Thanks for sharing your version of the day. I am contemplating whether or not to write of mine on saturday and sunday, I am leaning towards going ahead and doing it, because like you said this section will remain rather dormant for a while.

And thanks for sharing those stories and feelings of Kings Island and how it is more than "just an amusement park" you are right you have a pretty mind-blowing story but for others it is just a place to retreat and escape from the world.

• Like 6

And yes she does

Just asking because during my visit to the tower on Sunday I was talking to her and another attendant but she was telling me all about how much of an enthusiast her boyfriend is and that she knows "way too much" about Kings Island. Her and the other attendant at the top of the tower were genuinely nice people to talk to.

• Like 4

I love the Bilbo snickers comment. Hahaha

Ok, being new here, I am ignorant of sorts. I presume you are military? Air Force? Are you being deployed?

If you are deploying. I will need your address, please. We support our service men and women!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Yup, military, Air force, and no not deployed (well-ish)

Headed to Guam over in the Pacific. It's a remote tour so it's kinda deployment ish I mean I'm literally cut off from basically the world, but it's not a hot base right now. It's in a hot area but I'll be fine over there.

Also if you do want to send cards to things, I'll point you in the direction of the honor flight program, I believe there is one near you but the one I'm associated with is the Dayton Honor Flight. They ask for cards/letters to be made to be passed out to veterans in an old style mail call on the plane before coming home.

• Like 4

And yes she does

Just asking because during my visit to the tower on Sunday I was talking to her and another attendant but she was telling me all about how much of an enthusiast her boyfriend is and that she knows "way too much" about Kings Island. Her and the other attendant at the top of the tower were genuinely nice people to talk to.

We met her at the Eiffel Tower before the group meeting. I thought she was fabulous. I asked her about the boy who was killed at the Eiffel Tower and she said she couldn't comment haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Wow.

Nearly 0200 and I read...this.

Wondrous.

And oh so true.

You, Sir, are going to be missed.

And it's great KI snuck in and bit you. The place is like that. You meet incredible people there, and can have some of the best days ever.

KI is people and experiences. From its first public day, it got me. Walking into that magical place with the breathtaking fountains and majestic tower had me from day one. It still does.

Now it also brings back memories...every trip. Of people, of times, of life phases.

KI is a special place. And you, Sir, have captured it well, just as it (and she) has captured you.

I wish you safe, happy, fun travels...throughout life, and a safe, fun military career and life journey.

And thanks for the great report. Where did I put that handkerchief, anyway?

Terp, who will miss you, Sir, until your return!

• Like 12