Knott's Scary Farm and Universal Hollywood HHN

Dvo

Been a while since I posted anything on here, and I hope it's not frowned upon to post a link to an external report, but I posted my trip report for Knott's Scary Farm and Universal HHN on my blog. Keep in mind this link is primarily just a review of the haunts. Here's a link.

I'll try to summarize quickly though. In short, this was an incredible trip. I grew up going to Cedar Point's and Kings Island's haunts, so I was expecting a better, but similar experience at Knott's. WRONG. Knott's has phenomenal mazes with incredible detail in them, and a crap ton of scareactors. Great stuff.

And Halloween Horror nights at Universal Hollywood is fantastic as well. The park itself is quite the labyrinth, as it is literally on a mountain. But their mazes were on par with what we expected, which is to say some of the best mazes you'll see. The Insidious maze was... mind blowing. Anyway, feel free to check out the blog for the full review.

We also did some coasters out there at Knott's and SFMM. I'd been to Knott's, but Xcelerator and Timber Mountain log ride were both closed on my first visit, so these were new to me. And wow were they both a blast. Knott's is a wonderful park. Probably my 2nd favorite in the CF chain behind Cedar Point.

SFMM was also very fun. Unfortunately X2 was closed, but YOLO Coaster was running. We did this as our second ride of the day, and I must admit, it was actually pretty fun. The loop is cool, and you get some crazy airtime going over the tophat in the back.

Last time I was at SFMM, Superman was running forward, and didn't think too much of it. This time it was running backward, and that makes all the difference in the world. It's very very fun screaming down that track at 100 mph, and then the view you get climbing the tower is fantastic.

Next ride of note was Green Lantern, the Zacspin coaster. That was... very strange and unusual, and not really what I expected. The ends of the track provide crazy moments of free fall, and it's more intense than I imagined it would be. Didn't love it, but didn't hate it.

Then we went to Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom. Oh. My. God. Hands down the most terrifying drop ride I've been on. The restraints are extremely open, so there's nothing directly above your shoulders. And then if Superman launches while you're on Drop of Doom, you can literally feel the entire tower shaking. That combined with the sheer height, and the seemingly never-ending freefall makes this an unbelievable ride.

And then the noteworthy night rides.. First is Revolution. I love this ride during the day, but at night it's just pure fun diving through the dark on the hillside. And finally, Tatsu. My goodness, Tatsu. I loved this ride during my first visit, but this time I got to ride it at night during Fright Fest. No Flyer will ever come close to matching those rides. Simply phenomenal.

So yeah... did I mention I had a good time? Haha. Southern California has some great parks if you enjoy coasters and haunts, and I'm certain I'll be making this trip again.

• Like 7

Knotts' Haunt blows every other Cedar Fair park-owned Haunt out of the water. I love how they transformed the Mine train ride into the Witch-themed ride. I was just watching a POV video on Youtube of the ride and it's awesome. It's a shame KI doesn't do something like that. A couple of years ago, they put a scare actor or two in the Boo Blasters ride and added a "surprise" prop as you rode The Beast, but they didn't even do that this year. I was kind of disappointed by KI's Haunt this year. Great trip report and I hope to someday visit one or both of those Haunts.

^You definitely should. And agreed on the Calico Mine Ride aka Witch's Keep. That ride is very unique and neat even when it's not haunt season, but the added haunt effects took it to another level.

And faeriewench, no doubt. For a first maze design, that's a great accomplishment. Really solid stuff the whole way through.

• Like 1