Disneyland Paris Pirates Mishap.

Glad to hear he is recovering and expected to survive.

"The boy reportedly leaned too far back while riding a boat inside the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction." He's five years old, either he was standing on the seat or the seat backs are only 5 inches tall....I wonder which is the case?

Either way "Paris police are investigating whether the popular theme park is responsible for the accident"

http://www.disneycorner.com/the-dc-mainmenu-74/orlando-theme-park-news/3378-new-boats-for-the-pirates-of-the-caribbean-ride

This article addresses new boats, and I'm not sure if the same design of boat is used in Paris, but it seems as if the gondola back doesn't have the extra surface length of say, the boats on Enchanted Voyage. It doesn't look to me like there was much to stand on. The new design really has nothing 'boat' looking about it- it's just an enclosed watertight collection of benches.

A five year old boy, if he were anything like me at that age, could have been trying to take it all in. The big deal about a Dark Ride featuring well known characters is that they are alive in your 5 year old world. He could have been leaning back to see it all. Five year olds have a great flexibility.

He could have been standing on the seat.

Why is it we, (People in charge of the kids for the day) lax our attention at parks sometimes?

We're around big machinery with bouncy kids.

We're the grown-ups, we can't get caught up in the magic of being in the theme park with kids in tow.

I drop 150 without fear on The Beast thanks to the crews that safety check every morning, but there's common sense involved when we bring along wiry, excited kids.

I recall asking parents to sit their kids on the carousel horse, not to let them stand. The parents would sometimes stand next to the horse, holding the kid, who was standing on the horse.

"She's alright, she's with me, I'm holding her."

And... what if you were to slip and fall, Big Daddy? You're standing on a spinning platform, you can lose your balance- your kid is on an outside horse- do you honestly want her to have an asphalt facial tattoo for six weeks?"

• Like 7

http://www.disneycorner.com/the-dc-mainmenu-74/orlando-theme-park-news/3378-new-boats-for-the-pirates-of-the-caribbean-ride

This article addresses new boats, and I'm not sure if the same design of boat is used in Paris, but it seems as if the gondola back doesn't have the extra surface length of say, the boats on Enchanted Voyage. It doesn't look to me like there was much to stand on. The new design really has nothing 'boat' looking about it- it's just an enclosed watertight collection of benches.

A five year old boy, if he were anything like me at that age, could have been trying to take it all in. The big deal about a Dark Ride featuring well known characters is that they are alive in your 5 year old world. He could have been leaning back to see it all. Five year olds have a great flexibility.

He could have been standing on the seat.

Why is it we, (People in charge of the kids for the day) lax our attention at parks sometimes?

We're around big machinery with bouncy kids.

We're the grown-ups, we can't get caught up in the magic of being in the theme park with kids in tow.

I drop 150 without fear on The Beast thanks to the crews that safety check every morning, but there's common sense involved when we bring along wiry, excited kids.

I recall asking parents to sit their kids on the carousel horse, not to let them stand. The parents would sometimes stand next to the horse, holding the kid, who was standing on the horse.

"She's alright, she's with me, I'm holding her."

And... what if you were to slip and fall, Big Daddy? You're standing on a spinning platform, you can lose your balance- you're kid is on an outside horse- do you honestly want her to have an asphalt facial tattoo for six weeks?"

People are stupid. They fail to understand that rules apply to them and the rules are there to protect you and those you are with (when you are obviously too stupid to think why you are putting your child in harms way). Honestly, people get on my nerves, they are inconsiderate and selfish. Naturally, if something happens, it is the parks fault.

• Like 4

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2013/10/31/Boy-injured-after-he-fell-off-Pirates-of-Caribbean-ride-at-Disneyland/UPI-67441383227284/

Yeh, according to the reports, the kid was standing. The adults on both sides, arms across the back of the seat method perhaps wasn't used in this case.

Evidently, the parental "Sit down or we're going home." method was equally unemployed.

(I was a monster of an aunt, but... at least my sister's kids made it to 18.)

• Like 5

This just seems strange to me that a 5 year old "leaned back too far and fell out of the boat." A few years ago we took my nephew to Disney World and rode Pirates of the Caribbean. He was 4 and he has autism, ADHD, and behavior disorders. He was just fine on the ride. Yes he was antsy, but we sat him between us, had him on a harness, and made sure he was safely seated at all times.

It will be interesting to see the reports after they investigate this further. Perhaps the ride in Paris has different seating that the one in Florida, or maybe the parents were being too lenient with this kid during the ride. We can't say for sure. I just can't get my head around how a kid falls out of a boat when the parents are sitting right there.

• Like 2

Voicetek,

You're on a forum for Amusement Park Enthusiasts. You are aware of how rides work, why the rules are there, what can happen, and evidently, have a deep understanding of your nephew.

You seem more than aware of what can happen at park. You look at the water under a gondola and know that there has to be some sort of mechanism to pull the boats forward. You don't just jump in with a "Calgon, take me away." attitude.

We've all see roving bands of kids at the park while the parents sit tuckered out on a biergarten bench. Those parents probably don't peruse forums to get the latest news on the park they are sitting in.

Bravo for the harness idea, though. I could've have used that four times over in my day.

It seems that both parents weren't there, just the father. It could have been a divorced dad's outing.

• Like 3

Voicetek,

You're on a forum for Amusement Park Enthusiasts. You are aware of how rides work, why the rules are there, what can happen, and evidently, have a deep understanding of your nephew.

You seem more than aware of what can happen at park. You look at the water under a gondola and know that there has to be some sort of mechanism to pull the boats forward. You don't just jump in with a "Calgon, take me away." attitude.

We've all see roving bands of kids at the park while the parents sit tuckered out on a biergarten bench. Those parents probably don't peruse forums to get the latest news on the park they are sitting in.

Bravo for the harness idea, though. I could've have used that four times over in my day.

It seems that both parents weren't there, just the father. It could have been a divorced dad's outing.

Being autistic, my nephew has a tendency to run off or wander off. There was no way we were taking him to Disney World without having a good grip on him. Plus, the harness was shaped like a stuffed monkey that wrapped around him, so he loved it. It made for a more relaxing time knowing that we wouldn't lose him, and we all had a fantastic, safe time at the park!

• Like 8

I think that most people look at harnesses on children as 'cruel'.

My parents used to put me on a harness at packed amusement parks in the 70's...just so that I wouldn't zip off, as they said I could run out of their sites within seconds. Its the only place I can remember them putting me in one.

Every person I have ever met has laughed at this...I just thought it was smart of them as I got older.

But I think there is a stigma with those harnesses.

• Like 1

I don't know so much as it was I 'didn't know' better at age 3 and 4...

I think it most likely was the fact of my brain rationalizing 'Alright, I'm walking with these dull people, still walking with these dull people. The one who feeds me is now going to the bathroom. Great. Standing here with the one who is gone all day...

HEY..SCOOBY DOO AND FRED FLINSTONE!'

• Like 4

I think that most people look at harnesses on children as 'cruel'.

My parents used to put me on a harness at packed amusement parks in the 70's...just so that I wouldn't zip off, as they said I could run out of their sites within seconds. Its the only place I can remember them putting me in one.

Every person I have ever met has laughed at this...I just thought it was smart of them as I got older.

But I think there is a stigma with those harnesses.

I know some people probably looked at us and thought we were horrible parents or whatever when they saw us walking my nephew around with the harness on. That doesn't bother me though. The way I look at it is this, people put a leash on their dog when they take it on a walk because they care about their dog and don't want it to get a way. So how much more should we care about our children when we take them to a crowded theme park? It is only for their protection because we don't want to see anything bad happen to them. And people probably didn't realized that my nephew was autistic with ADHD and they really don't have the ability, especially at 4, to think rationally. He would have thought nothing of it to wander off and go see something he wanted to see. We care about him enough to keep him attached to us, to protect him. People can think what they want to think, but at the end of the day it comes down to what you think is best for you and your child.

• Like 4

I agree with you Voicetek. I was put on a leash a few times as a kid and hold no resentment towards my parents for what they felt was protection of me.

I mean...I'm still here.

I wish more kids were on a leash nowadays when I am out at the parks. I don't want your kids touching me with their Banshee ice cream smeared hands while I'll in line for Dodgem.

• Like 3

Its not always as easy as "hey" or "get back" My 5 year old son is borderline ADHD (some of the tests for it he matches, some of the tests he passes). We've had long had trouble with him "wondering off" at KI. Generally speaking we keep a good eye on him, and if he gets to far away, we make him sit on a bench and "he owes us a minute" which worked pretty well this year. For ADHD kids, sitting still or walking in an ordely manner is not as easy as it is for everyone else, their minds wonder, their body wonders, they find distractions in everything. As I said, he's borderline, may just be maturity issues as he's always been imature for his age (which is made worse as he's generally much bigger than kids his age so he looks like he should be 7 rather than just turning 5) and recognize there are people that have it much, much worse than us. From that perspective I completly understand why a parent might put their kid on a leash. 10 years ago, I probably would have thought it stupid, if not abuse. Today, having lived life as a parent I completely understand. The parents who put their kids on a leash are more than likely putting it on there b/c they love their child, but also recognize the difficulties the kid faces, not because they want to punish the kid. My guess is that for each parent that has a kid on a leash at Kings Island or a much busier place like Disney would gladly give the cost of 100 leashes just so their kid could be "normal".

Voicetek, the only people that would look at you in that situation and think "you much be horrible parents" are people who have never had to walk in your shoes and be resposible for someone like your autitistic nephew in a place as crowded as Disney. For every one person who judged you, there were probably 4-5 parents that "got it"

• Like 4

I was put on a leash. I was a good kid who was put on a leash because I had a tendency to touch EVERYTHING and my mom could easily control what I touched if I had a very short traveling distance.

Was I just simply taught to know better? Well of course. But my mild OCD warrants that I touch stuff. I still have the need to touch stuff, and husband sometimes wishes he could put me on a leash.

I agree with medford, many times leashes are used for the love of a child not out of abuse. It's not just a matter of parenting or teaching the child to know better. Seems a bit injudicious for someone to insinuate such.

• Like 2

I remember as a kid having to go back and touch a certain object in my room 80 times if the thought popped in my head. It happened regularly too. I changed the objects every time it happened. Out the screened door. Back to my room. Touch object. Through the house. Screen door. Back to my room to to touch whatever object. Always 80 freak in' times...

Nowadays my OCD only makes me make objects completely perpendicular from one another.

• Like 1

Why would someone think putting a kid on a leash is abuse?! If their child would run off and get hurt, they would scream abuse or neglect, too.

My daughter ran off once, but she doesn't have ADHD, or any other handicap or condition. She always pushes things and she ran off to simply show her tail. If she had anything like ADHD or anything like that, I would do every thing I could do to keep her safe while doing what I can to open up life experiences for her.

Medford (I think?) said something about his child looking older than he was. That really brings added issues. I used to own my own daycare and had a boy that was 3, but looked 6 easy. He was a very well behaved 3 year old, but people expected him to act as old as he looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I think if you put your kid on a leash, you know you will at least be able to keep them within your grasps. Even at 4/5/6 if your child only goes 3 or 4 feet in front of you and it just takes one weirdo to grab your child in a large group of people. At least with a backpack leash you can keep your hand on the leash and keep the child from being taken as quickly. Its about keeping your kids safe. Who cares what other people think.

• Like 5

I don't know so much as it was I 'didn't know' better at age 3 and 4...

I think it most likely was the fact of my brain rationalizing 'Alright, I'm walking with these dull people, still walking with these dull people. The one who feeds me is now going to the bathroom. Great. Standing here with the one who is gone all day...

HEY..SCOOBY DOO AND FRED FLINSTONE!'

There's just so much to add to this. On this forum there is a video of me at age nine, walking by myself in the park, (Despite my parents being not eight feet away). Add to that, there is also a post about a guy with video glasses and an explosives warehouse on wheels.

And this quote above.

My sister has four kids. One of them was definitely a gazer: that kid that would see something wonderful in the park, say, that giant purple Raptor, and wander over to it, temporarily deaf.

That meant leaving three kids to skip off after the one.

I don't think harnesses have the terrible rap they used to have, as more people seeing the benefit of them, plus, the poster that originally brought up the topic of harnesses said the harness he used looked like a stuffed monkey- no different looking than many of the little kids backpacks today.

I'm not saying that people have gotten worse since I was young, but I feel that people are more likely to act on their urges, though I have no sociological reasons why. If I had to do over again, when my sister's kids were young, my paranoid self would be buying happy animal harnesses for all.

• Like 2

Its amazing what we consider "cool" around the ages of 17-25 and then what we deem practical when we have children. I used to think I needed to wear the coolest nicest clothes then as I get older with a kid I wear clothes that fit and are comfy and can be ruined by other things.

When I was younger I thought, man what sort of dorky rube of a parent puts their kid in a harness. That's demeaning to the child and a sign of bad parenting. Now I have a son. When he gets older and we go to Disney/Universal/KI/CP and I will be that bad parent with a harness/leash on him. Not because I dont trust him or myself. But things happen. I could turn to buy a drink and think hes holding onto my pant leg and he could be long gone..... priorities always change as we get older....

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Just wanted to add something I noticed when I visited Magic Kingdom last week and rode the ride. On every boat, the back seat was blocked off. They were not allowing anyone to sit in the back row of the boats, not even adults. I was telling my wife about the boy falling out of the boat, and we were wondering if this might be the reason? It looked like the back row had a perfect place behind the back of the seat to sit a young child. I'm assuming Disney has blocked this row off on all of their "Pirates" rides in order to keep something like this from happening again. Why else would they block all the back rows?

Thoughts anyone?