What If? WinterFest 2013

BB1

This off season I will be making a poll series, posing questions on if things were or did happen to Kings Island,what would you think it would be like. Which this week's is about WinterFest. Today I was glad to hear Star 93.3 play Christmas music, something that I have missed for far too long. This brings visions of Beast, and Boomerang Bay dancing in my head, decked out in full Christmas yule tide. Sadly, reality settled into my head that WinterFest is a non realistic idea, but it did make me think, what would happen if WinteFest would return for 2013? Would it succeed? What would one expect when he or she comes to the event? Lastly, do you want WinterFest to return to Kings Island in 2013?

• Like 2

Today I was glad to hear Star 93.3 play Christmas music,

It's a little early for Christmas music, don't ya think?

Anyways, what was Winterfest like? Did you actually get to ride the coasters? Why aren't they bringing it back? Why was it canceled?

razmataz, full of questions.

Yet ye have not answered the original question.

BB1, who doesn't dance around questions and likes his Christmas early.

• Like 2

Yet ye have not answered the original question.

BB1, who doesn't dance around questions and likes his Christmas early.

Fine. I'll answer the original question.

This off season I will be making a poll series, posing questions on if things were or did happen to Kings Island,what would you think it would be like. Which this week's is about WinterFest. Today I was glad to hear Star 93.3 play Christmas music, something that I have missed for far too long. This brings visions of Beast, and Boomerang Bay dancing in my head, decked out in full Christmas yule tide. Sadly, reality settled into my head that WinterFest is a non realistic idea, but it did make me think, what would happen if WinteFest would return for 2013? Would it succeed? What would one expect when he or she comes to the event? Lastly, do you want WinterFest to return to Kings Island in 2013?

As much as I know about Winterfest, (nothing) it sounds like it would be a fairly popular event. While I wouldn't expect huge crowds, but some at least. I, for one, would love for this to return for it sounds like a load of fun. I've always loved the feeling of the holiday season, so what could make it better than mixing it with Kings Island? So, yes, I think it should return in 2013. Now will answer my questions?

razmataz, who is getting very impatient.

• Like 4

I think the point that razmataz99 is trying to make is that he cannot give a proper, detailed answer to the original question until he learns more about past Winterfests. Without knowing anything about them, all he (or I) can give is a generic answer like the one immediately above.

• Like 4

Yes it would succeed if it were operated like many other events. It would need to be cost effective and provide enough entertainment for a crowd. There were two things that I observed that caused problems with the last incarnation:

1. Price. (it wasn't unreasonable, but it would have been nice to have had an event long ticket.) There was plenty to do to keep young ones entertained.

2. Having to pick a scheduled date. I had to find a date within all that is going on during that part of the season from visiting relatives, having guests, meals and get-togethers. In other words, you couldn't visit when you wanted to without buying a reserved date ticket for the day. As far as I know, no other winter event at a seasonal park asks for you to reserve a date.

Paramount screwed up big time when they cancelled the event after buying the parks in 1991. I'm not sure what their motives were for closing it, but it seemed to be getting bigger and better each year until it was closed. It could have been great like BGW's event with rides and coasters weather permitting.

I would love to see Winterfest return if it were like this:

• Like 2

I went twice on reserved days, and had a blast. and it was pretty crowded both times. plus there were a few bad weather days sprinkled in that spoiled business. Paramount was starting to sell tickets for the 2006 Winterfest season, sold the parks to CF who ultimately closed the event and refunded the Winterfest presale tickets. It needed time to regrow into a family tradition, but was never given the chance to build a following. It would work now and it does work now at many seasonal parks across the country. The biggest reason the event was brought back in the first place was to make the park attractive for potential buyers....and....well it worked.

• Like 4

I ice skated for the first time at Winterfest and it's a wonderful memory. Part of that memory includes how absolutely packed it was.

I know nothing about business but I believe that it could be successful with the right planning and events. I'm not sure having all of the rides open would be fiscally responsible as that would increase costs but not increase ticket sales dramatically enough to make sense. There is a lot to consider when thinking about doing an outdoor event during unpredictable Ohio winter months. Would I like to see Winterfest come back? Yes. Do I think it could be successful? Yes but I'm aware I could be wrong.

• Like 3

Several things:

* Complexities of staging Halloween Haunt AND Winterfest.

* Difficulties hiring appropriate staff for short holiday season.

* Ohio weather. 2005 Winterfest was canceled several nights. Why? Snow. Of all things.

* Paramount Parks didn't help in 2005 by over-pricing the event and trying to create a sense of urgency by selling specific day tickets and claiming sell-outs were highly likely (its public decided otherwise)

* The off-season is used to maintain, repair and refurbish. This greatly shortened that.

* Cedar Point's Christmas In The Park event had not been well received.

• Like 2

what would happen if WinteFest would return for 2013? Would it succeed? What would one expect when he or she comes to the event? Lastly, do you want WinterFest to return to Kings Island in 2013?

What would happen? We'd be there

Would it succeed? Possibly, as long as we weren't the only ones.

Expectations? Not sure here, would be nice to have the fountains set up for skating, but that could be expensive depending on weather. Lot of water to pipe chilling into. Some nice shows, and a Santa greet for the kids. Decorations and Christmas lights, of course. As for rides, I'd expect little more than the Grand Carousel, though if they wanted to heat the FoF building, I'd ride it, lol

Want it to return? We'll put footprints on that property anytime we are allowed to do so.

• Like 3

I don't necessarily feel like 2005 was thrown together. They were planning it well before the season began and testing sets the while season. In 2004 they decorated a tree in the nick area to test the electrical circuits for the load and about burnt the tree down... Because it was the only tree decorated.

But other than the pricing strategy coming from somewhere in left field I thought it was a great effort.

More rides being open wouldn't make it draw more people. Most of the rides, coasters for instance, would gift people with frost bite.

Having been able to be closer to certain details with the columbus zoo, their Wild Lights event doesn't have half the ambiance that winterfest had.... And it is always packed.

I think cf strategy going forward is to figure out ways to make the parks profitable in the 6 months a year no one enters. Quality employees are an issue though. I could see cf exploring this in years to come. The year they cut it, they had just spent 1.2 billion on a park chain... And weeks after had to deal with a coaster injuirng people, then add a major event that had bugs to still be worked out... It was probably a very easy decision to cancel it.

• Like 2

I don't necessarily feel like 2005 was thrown together. They were planning it well before the season began and testing sets the while season. In 2004 they decorated a tree in the nick area to test the electrical circuits for the load and about burnt the tree down... Because it was the only tree decorated.

But other than the pricing strategy coming from somewhere in left field I thought it was a great effort.

More rides being open wouldn't make it draw more people. Most of the rides, coasters for instance, would gift people with frost bite.

Having been able to be closer to certain details with the columbus zoo, their Wild Lights event doesn't have half the ambiance that winterfest had.... And it is always packed.

I think cf strategy going forward is to figure out ways to make the parks profitable in the 6 months a year no one enters. Quality employees are an issue though. I could see cf exploring this in years to come. The year they cut it, they had just spent 1.2 billion on a park chain... And weeks after had to deal with a coaster injuirng people, then add a major event that had bugs to still be worked out... It was probably a very easy decision to cancel it.

• Like 1

This brings visions of Beast and Boomerang Bay dancing in my head, decked out in full Christmas yule tide.

Does this mean that The Beast was open then? Or was it just decorated? I personally think it would be cool if they opened the coasters if the weather permitted. That could just be me, but I think it sounds cool. Also, why did they make you reserve tickets in advance? Why didn't they just make it like the Haunt?

razmataz, full of questions yet again.

A. Most coasters cannot run in such temperatures. Even if they could, frost bite is possible. And winter rehab has already begun.

B. Paramount wanted people to rush out and buy tickets, in fear of otherwise being left out. That backfired. Bigtime.

Beast and Racer did not run for Winterfest. Nor did Carowinds' coasters, in the much warmer Carolina climate.

• Like 1

I noticed in this video:

http://content.sixflags.com/comingin2014/

It shows people sledding. Im don't know where you could do it at KI, but I think it would be a good idea since that is what many little kids love. Also, did the train operate during WinterFest? It think train would be cool (in my opinion) if they themed it all to Christmas during WinterFest. Maybe for WinterFest they could call it "The Polar Express"?

razmtaz, who has some ideas.

• Like 2