What If? WinterFest 2013

BB1

its my first time posting here, so i aplogize if i do anything wrong. But when I first visited Kings Island it was GE day 2005, I was like 7-8. But my mom was talking about how she use to love going to Winterfest with her mom. I thought the idea was amazing. To go to Kings Island during the winter?? Woah.

Te return of winterfest in 2005 didnt seem to amuse me as much as the idea of it did. I think if they were able to bring some of the classic Kings Island back to the mix then it would be great. Cedar Fair could totally use this in there advantage. I only visited Kings Island twice why it was run by paramount , but it had alot more classic charecter to it if I recall right. I'm not trashing Cedar Fair in anyway because I think that they saved Kings Island. Anyways, my point is yes, Winterfest would be nice, but you should be able to visit with a Gold pass, and on anyday you choose. But I don't think it would be a smart investment because of how unpredictible Ohio weather is.

• Like 4

Before Winterfest returns, I would rather see more overall improvements to the park.

1. Get rid of the Starlight Spectacular.

2. Put international things on International Street. Otherwise it should be renamed "Cincinnati Street"

3. Change the cuisine in the Festhaus to reflect Octoberfest, or rename the Festhaus like BGT did with theres.

4. Add more flats.

5. Get rid of the Crypt building or turn it into a "Houdini" type ride.

I would rather they spend money on these things than spending the time and money on an event that may or may not generate a profit.

• Like 7

I think the best way to return this event is to gage what the public wants then start out small, but expand over time. They have to rebuild a fan base and like any business, realize that their best customers are those that are local. Give them something that will keep them coming back throughout the holiday season. I would think that their retail would have to be unique and their food fair as well. I would start out with I street, skating, ki theater, train ride and a few sife attractions. If the event were to succeed, who knows how big it could become. There are so many possibilities.

• Like 4

I think the best way to return this event is to gage what the public wants then start out small, but expand over time. They have to rebuild a fan base and like any business, realize that their best customers are those that are local. Give them something that will keep them coming back throughout the holiday season. I would think that their retail would have to be unique and their food fair as well. I would start out with I street, skating, ki theater, train ride and a few sife attractions. If the event were to succeed, who knows how big it could become. There are so many possibilities.

That strategy worked with Fearfest/Haunt, no reason for it not to work with Winterfest.

The problem I see with Winterfest is that it wouldn't attract that many people. During the season, people visit KI mostly to ride coasters. Because of the low temperatures, though, those coasters (Except for FoF, of course) won't be able to run.

From reading the posts, I've gauged that Winterfest was a few shows, some open shops, ice skating, and a frigid train ride. That's pretty good, but what would attract the GP to KI when they could ice skate, see a show, shop and ride a train somewhere much closer to them and cheaper? If there was this X-Factor, what was it?

I'd agree with sheikra_rocks that there are some more pressing issues than trying an event that may or may not make money.

If Kings Island was to bring back winter fest it would need to have competitive pricing with the zoo and other Xmas events, i would say probably 15 - 20 dollars entrance fee. Great food that is unique to the park that time of year. Also attraction wise, they could open Flight of Fear, ki railroad, a petting zoo, ice skating, holiday lights walk throughs. Christmas themed Dinosaurs Alive, eifle tower, holiday shows, with that i think it could work at the right pricing and marketing but who knows if the parks wants to deal with having the park opened in the wintertime when offseason maintenance and chores. must be completed around the park.

• Like 3

Meh.....if I was to plan a trip during the winter months it would most definitely involve mountains, snow & skis.

Even at my advance age I'm still an adrenaline junky so some lights and ice skating would not draw me to the park.

As already said, I would prefer the time and money spent on off-season maintenance and improvements.

• Like 1

I just don't see Winterfest coming back any time soon. Besides the previous reasons already mentioned the park has much more competition for your holiday entertainment dollar. Both Cincinnati and Columbus Zoo's offer great well established holiday events that are competitively priced and it you are wanting the theme park holiday event experience Dollywood and the Smokey Mountain Christmas are only a few hours away and KI can only begin to offer a fraction of the experience that DW does with their numerous shows, amazing lights, and yes a good number of their rides are open. Also with what I would imagine the admission price would be set at, a family of 4 could enjoy a night at Great Wolf Lodge during the holiday season and enjoy the lights, decorations, and waterpark.

• Like 2

The one demographic that would willing go would be.....families with small children and grandparents....those older folks who are not adrenalin junkies and who are mainly overlooked throughout the regular season.....resulting in mo' money for the park.....and it is working in other seasonal parks, very well I might add.

Dollywood and Busch Gardens Williamsburg come to mind, neither of which are left out the blizzard zone. They manage and even on a bigger scale than the previous incarnation of Winterfest (2005).

With any business, it comes to the bottom line.

When WF was busy 20+ years ago there were few competitors. Now there are literally dozens upon dozens of events going on that are not depending on decent winter weather.

Even in Erie, the winter event at the local zoo was cancelled years ago for the very same reasons WF was cancelled.

• Like 2

The one demographic that would willing go would be.....families with small children and grandparents....those older folks who are not adrenalin junkies and who are mainly overlooked throughout the regular season.....resulting in mo' money for the park.....and it is working in other seasonal parks, very well I might add.

Dollywood and Busch Gardens Williamsburg come to mind, neither of which are left out the blizzard zone. They manage and even on a bigger scale than the previous incarnation of Winterfest (2005).

And the event at Dollywood is far and above anything KI ever offered during WinterFest. Especially the entertainment level. Also the grandparent demographic is one that Dollywood excels in. The capital needed to put on an event similar to Dollywoods is far greater than I would imagine they would want to invest.

• Like 2

Today I was glad to hear Star 93.3 play Christmas music,

It's a little early for Christmas music, don't ya think?

I, too, was glad to hear Christmas music on 93.3. I first heard it Friday evening on my way home from work. Needless to say, I've been listening to it all weekend!

Voicetek who also likes his Christmas early and who misses Winterfest deeply.

• Like 1

I know this might be seen as a long shot, but its an idea I've had for awhile in lieu of Winterfest. I always thought it would be really cool if there was a specific part of the park that was dedicated to winter festivities-like Soak City has its own area- ( sledding/snow tubing/skiing/snow boarding/etc complete with ski-lift ) with the offerings of lessons and of course little shops to enjoy wintertime beverage favorites and pastries as well as actual lunch items. I know this is something that is highly unlikely, but an area of the park dedicated for winter activities would be really neat I think. build the hills and they will come! Haha. Give certain hills/slopes unique names and the gift shops could sell Kings Island themed items ( imagine having a Diamondback, Beast or Vortex sled or snowboard? or any other favorite ride themed equipment to go flying through the snow with?? )

This would allow the main part of the park to be left to what needs done without interuption, but the winterized half would allow the park to continue to operate for continued fun and entertainment throughout the year...at least until all the snow melts haha.

Just my crazy thoughts.

• Like 1

Having been to the event at Dollywood, I can say that the entire park is open, all rides were open the couple times I visited last December.

Yes, the majority of the folks go for the shows, but the remainder are in line for the thrills.

I just don't see Kings Island's Winterfest being as big a hit as Dollywood or Busch Gardens.

I reiterate my post above.

"Before Winterfest returns, I would rather see more overall improvements to the park.

1. Get rid of the Starlight Spectacular.

2. Put international things on International Street. Otherwise it should be renamed "Cincinnati Street"

3. Change the cuisine in the Festhaus to reflect Octoberfest, or rename the Festhaus like BGT did with theres.

4. Add more flats.

5. Get rid of the Crypt building or turn it into a "Houdini" type ride.

I would rather they spend money on these things than spending the time and money on an event that may or may not generate a profit."

There is too much that needs done to the park before they try to bring back a failed event.

I know this might be seen as a long shot, but its an idea I've had for awhile in lieu of Winterfest. I always thought it would be really cool if there was a specific part of the park that was dedicated to winter festivities-like Soak City has its own area- ( sledding/snow tubing/skiing/snow boarding/etc complete with ski-lift ) with the offerings of lessons and of course little shops to enjoy wintertime beverage favorites and pastries as well as actual lunch items. I know this is something that is highly unlikely, but an area of the park dedicated for winter activities would be really neat I think. build the hills and they will come! Haha. Give certain hills/slopes unique names and the gift shops could sell Kings Island themed items ( imagine having a Diamondback, Beast or Vortex sled or snowboard? or any other favorite ride themed equipment to go flying through the snow with?? )

This would allow the main part of the park to be left to what needs done without interuption, but the winterized half would allow the park to continue to operate for continued fun and entertainment throughout the year...at least until all the snow melts haha.

Just my crazy thoughts.

That does sound pretty cool in my opinion, but don't you think it would be a bit of a waste to build a ski lift just for however long WinterFest lasts? Maybe, they could incorporate the ski lift as the ride up to something. (Like you said, if it's in Soak City, you could make it so that you ride the chairlift up to a new slide, there could be a basket were you put your tube to take up- just an idea).

Back to the original question, I for one don't think WinterFest would be successful. I would love for it to come back, for it sounds like great fun. I love the Christmas season feeling, so what could be better than that awesome mixed with Kings Island? It think WinterFest would be popular among Kings Island fans (like us), however I feel that many families get together for Christmas,and I don't feel that Kings Island would be the number one thing on many families lists. But that's just a guess, because, well, I don't know what many families like. Maybe if they added more attractions, like DJSkyFoxx said, it would attract more families with younger and older people can enjoy. Again, that's just my guess.

razmataz, who likes his Christmas, but not too early.

• Like 1

When we were there last year, River Battle was open. Why I don't know? But it was the only water ride open.

And you are right Terpy it is an incredible event, that rivals most parks special events out there. And there is nothing better than enjoying a warm loaf of cinnamon bread from the mill while walking around and taking everything in and enjoying the shows. We will be attending the last week of the event this year and are taking 2 families with us who have never been. I cannot wait.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

y3yme6ys.jpg why didn't they just spend the money to fix the Son of Beast instead of tearing it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0-SOB In one post, or more!

Please do not pull a "BB1" and post about SOB automatically to a subject not even on the topic, nor to a conversation.

3. Welcome to KIC, keep calm and carry on, it was destroyed due to how the coaster could not support riders nor have ridership from henceforth due to structural deterioration.

Don has said over and over again that there are no plans to bring back Winterfest in the forseeable future. There was even a recent news article so stating.

What does it take to get people to realize there are indeed no plans to bring it back? Some day years and years from now? Maybe. Soon? No.

As for the Beach and a holiday event..no, it was not that popular in recent years. The park closed, and the new owners are not having a holiday event. That should tell you something.

It's too hard from any number of perspectives. It just isn't at ALL likely.

• Like 4