What If? WinterFest 2013

BB1

I love how Winterfest is remembered with such fondness. Yet at the time many were not too fond of this event and its less than stellar attractions for the price.

Group me in with this crowd. Winterfest did absolutely nothing for me, especially for the price (albeit that I never paid, but my parents did). The star and lights on ET were kinda cool but you could see those just by driving by, no need to get price-gauged just to see it up close and ice skate by the fountains.

I love KI because of the rides, not because of International Street. So going in the winter and seeing all the rides and not being able to ride them was probably worse as a kid than not going at all!

I love how Winterfest is remembered with such fondness. Yet at the time many were not too fond of this event and its less than stellar attractions for the price.

Group me in with this crowd. Winterfest did absolutely nothing for me, especially for the price (albeit that I never paid, but my parents did). The star and lights on ET were kinda cool but you could see those just by driving by, no need to get price-gauged just to see it up close and ice skate by the fountains.

I love KI because of the rides, not because of International Street. So going in the winter and seeing all the rides and not being able to ride them was probably worse as a kid than not going at all!

I think you are mostly referring to the 2005 version which WAS overpriced.

And those who didn't like going didn't- but the pre-1992 versions were well attended.

It has been posted here many, many times. The then current marketing team contemporaneously told the press that, I believe it was Cincinnati Magazine. Mr. Bombay has posted it several times, with a link--in the main Winterfest thread.

In addition, two different Paramount Parks CEOs personally and independently told me the same thing, as did Ruth Voss.

I think you are mostly referring to the 2005 version which WAS overpriced.

And those who didn't like going didn't- but the pre-1992 versions were well attended.

No I'm talking about the early 90's. I only went once, probably in 90 or 91. I know it's an unpopular opinion on here, but I don't remember enjoying it that much. Then again I hate cold weather!

I liked the Festival of Lights at the Zoo much more back then. And still do...our office is doing our Christmas party there this Friday and I'm looking forward to it.

As evidence that Winterfest 2005 was designed primarily in an effort to help sell the parks, see KIFan73's photograph here:

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/28581-kic-offseason-photo-contest-2013-14/page-9#entry577524

Note how prominently the Paramount's Kings Island was displayed. The same was true at Carowinds.

Wow, it seems my discussions keep going on and on, it's almost like a boomerang.

BB1, getting to a Vekoma ASAP

About the topic at hand, I can agree on the 05 Winterfest. To me, it seems more like a "Hey, look at this event, and buy the expensive tickets!" than "Come for family fun!", which in all honesty, the Winterfest left a bad rep with me and winter events on the fact that it was called off when I heard great things come out of it. The downward spiral, not to be confused with a certain WIcked Twister, was a terrible thing for Kings Island.