What ride would you remove from Kings Island?

GamesAndRides

Backlot Stunt Coaster's too intense for a family ride? Try telling that to my 5 year old. Maybe he's not the typical 5 year old having been on Vortex, Drop Zone, Beast, etc... or maybe he is, but I'd have a hard time labeling that ride as "too intense to be a family ride" In many ways, I think its the perfect ride for that 5-8 (or older in many cases) that have outgrown (either physically or mentally) the rides in Planet Snoopy, but haven't quite grown up (again either physically or mentally) enough for rides like Diamondback, Invertigo, Banshee, Firehawk, etc... Adventure Express is another ride like that. For a park that claims it wants to provide "the best day of the summer" for families, I personally think they need more rides like those two, where mom, dad and child, perhaps even grandpa can all ride comfortably together, while still getting a little roller coaster thrill.

Congo Falls... I'll admit, it has long since fit the theme of the area it resides in when it was first built and rarely have I had to wait for more than a boat or two when riding it last season, but I saw someone on here talk about how it provides the best air time in the park and after "rediscovering it" this summer while waiting for our son to grow that last inch, I can't say I can argue with that opinion. The air time is brief, but is exilerating. Its likely not worth the cost, but I've long dreamed that they could turn the timberwolf area into a long, imersive boat ride experience w/ the current Congo Falls drop as the end point. I would understand why they removed the ride when it comes to that, but I will be saddened by its departure after the couple of months this summer my son and I rode both that and white water canyon while waiting for him to hit 48" and mom and little sister laughing at how wet we would be walking off those rides.

Action Theater serves no use to me at the moment, but there is still great potential there. Would love to see a "Soarin'" type attraction go in there if it could fit. No idea what it would costs, but there is no reason to tear the building down unless they're going to put something else there that couldn't fit somewhere else.

Those seem to be the popular choices, so what is mine? I've got two..

Snoopy Splash Dance. Its a great concept and fairly popular, but the concept of having your chile go in on one side, and come out on the exact opposite side in a time frame that limites your chance as an adult to get around the attraction to actually see your child come out is mind numbing. I wouldn't let my children do that unless both mom & I were there, one at the entrance one at the exit. I've never actually heard of any problems arising from that setup, but its just ripe with potential for a kid to wonder off in the wrong direction, or even worse. If they could re-work so the kids would exist that attraction from the same side they entered it, it would ease my mind unbelievable. There appears to be ample room to make that happen.

My other attraction, snoopy junction. Snoopy Junction sits in an area of Planet Snoopy I call the "lost world". You have Peanuts off road Ralley, Snoopy Junction and Linus' Beattle bugs all tucked in behind Surf Dog. Even on busy days, that particular part of Planet Snoopy is usually pretty quite. Linus' Beattle Bugs is great (well it looks great, no adults allowed), while the Off road rally looks incredible boaring, though I can see its attraction to very young kids. In between you've got Snoopy Juntion sitting on a fairly large plot of land b/w Surf Dog and the path back to the picnic area. Two problems with this attraction, its not a particularly comfortable setup for adults to sit on it, benchs are hard and at odd angles, part of the seats are for kids only (or short people) as they're partillay covered. In addition, you've got a much bigger train not too far away that everyone can ride. To top it off, I realize lines are not the pefect indicator of popularity, but consider the slow loading times, I'm not sure I've ever seen a wait more than 4-5 trains and often see empty trains cycling around. With all that said, I don't like the idea of removing a ride just to remove it, so I've got to put something in its place, something that would benefit Planet Snoopy, something that helps them fill the gap in their lineup. Great Pumpkin coaster is great for the smallest of kids. Parents can ride with their kids, you don't have to be too tall to ride it by yourself as a kid, so you can ride it with your brother or friend. Woodstock Express (40") is a great step up, actually a fairly big step up for small kids. You get some suprising air time on the 2nd drop, a great little wooden ride. After that, you've got Surf Dog, if you choose to claissy it as a coaster (which the Park does) and Flying Ace Arial Chase (both 44"). I personally think they need another 40" coaster back there if they want to keep the claim of Best Kids area in the world going forward as more parks are focusing on this part of their parks (see 6 flags claim to have the most coasters (4) in their kids area at one of their parks with next seasons addition, discouting KI's claim to Surf Dog as a coaster) A nice smooth steel coaster, I'm thinking something along the lines of the coaster at the Indy Zoo that could compliment Woodstock express as another choice in the Kids lineup there.

• Like 4

Blsc is a great transitional ride from kiddie coasters to adult coasters. I find it very fun and i feel that its medium intensity allows it to be a kids coaster and an adult coaster that the whole family can ride together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 4

If I absolutely had to remove a ride, I would probably remove a ride inside of Planet Snoopy, im thinking woodstocks whirlybirds. The ride just feels old and doesnt get enough attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

CLEARLY you have never had to stand in line with kids waiting to ride the Whirlybirds. It gets plenty of attention. Very rarely are we able to get in in under 5 minutes and this is the norm as my Daughter must ride it multiple times every time we are there. That and it doesn't take up much room and is a unique ride with it being elevated. I tmay be old and it might not be a thriller, but to the youngins, it's amazing.

• Like 5

Everytime I see the line for Woodstock Whirlybirds, I'm thankful that my son has a very much "take it or leave it" approach to that ride. Its definently popular, despite the slow load times, but its out of the way of everything and offers a unique perspective of Planet Snoopy since your above everything else. I can defiently see why so many kids "must" ride it, I'm just glad my son choose Boo Blasters for his "must ride" when he was three.

• Like 4

Speaking of BLSC, I wish KI Would bring back the effects, Like The Water Stuff at the end and fire scene before you go into the tunnel

KI still has the fire scene before the tunnel. Perhaps you're confusing it with KD?

As far as what I would remove... NOTHING! I believe that there are only two acceptable reasons to remove an attraction:

1. If it is unsafe.

2. If the cost to maintain and operate it outweighs the benefits of keeping it open.

• Like 4

I have gave this some thought since my Anti-AE stance. I would remove Both Log rides. First build all new log ride in or near Soak City. Second In the place of both log rides would be a monorail stations that would connect Action Zone and River town. If the removal of "Race For Your Life Charlie Brown" is unpopular simpley move it to Soak City and sell Congo Falls to the highest bidder.

Speaking of BLSC, I wish KI Would bring back the effects, Like The Water Stuff at the end and fire scene before you go into the tunnel

KI still has the fire scene before the tunnel. Perhaps you're confusing it with KD?

As far as what I would remove... NOTHING! I believe that there are only two acceptable reasons to remove an attraction:

1. If it is unsafe.

2. If the cost to maintain and operate it outweighs the benefits of keeping it open.

Sorry, I meant in the opening Season (Add a few More) The "Gunshots" Would triggger Water Effects that spary waterto the train. I also miss the doors

GamesAndRides, Missing The Old Itailian Job Stunt Coaster.

I have gave this some thought since my Anti-AE stance. I would remove Both Log rides. First build all new log ride in or near Soak City. Second In the place of both log rides would be a monorail stations that would connect Action Zone and River town. If the removal of "Race For Your Life Charlie Brown" is unpopular simpley move it to Soak City and sell Congo Falls to the highest bidder.

Both log rides?

Did I miss something?

Is KCKC back?

• Like 3

I'd have to say the attraction Snoopy's Flash Dance is only thing I would change. Mainly because of the entrance/exit problems mentioned above that just really makes me uncomfortable when my 3 year old wants to go through; it just really would work so much better as part of the water park if you had to keep it

Even moreso because I could envision a set of flyers fitting there nicely(maybe there's enough room or maybe not --but in my mind it fits perfectly).

• Like 1

i have say my intial thought at first was the Backlot Stunt Coaster... its just an eyesore. would love to see a maverick style coaster or something that could blend in with the geography and much needed improved landscaping there at the centerpiece of the park. but after reading though here, it does seem congo falls is out of place the most.

and i wish people would leave adverture express alone. just respect it for what it is, a mine train coaster and a great mild family ride. its a specific genre of coaster thats about as classic as the modern amusement park itself. besides, there is plenty of space for expanding to the same area behind Banshee as hightlighted on here from the Xbase area. which also brings up the point, i wouldnt mind seeing Firehawk being removed, perhaps a better B&M flying coaster could go where congo falls is currently... certainly would make that area an aviation themed area for coasters. and ohio is the birthplace of aviation... could all even work in a haunted ohio theme as well.

anyway, just my random thoughts on the matter.

• Like 8

I think Backlot gets the hate for what it replaced ;)

As for me -because of that location my wife and I ended up there this year for the first trip to the park since both of us were in middle school and by taking that random ride it started the fire for us so much so that we are planning a trip to Dollywood to curb the offseason blues. So for me it will always be a favorite.

• Like 6

First I would remove Boo Blasters. I'd seriously gut that whole building. Next, I would install a high quality dark ride was AMAZING theming, full-blown animatronics, awesome music and sound effects.

If I'd have to remove something else, I, like most people on here, would be fine with Congo Falls and Action Theater. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Action Theater restored. Some of those movies were pretty cool, especially the 3D ones. Right now the building is useless.

Oh yeah, one more thing....Tear down that monstrosity that is the Crypt building! That is all.

^The fire is off and on. I saw it not do anything multiple times this year.

I must have been lucky then, because every time I rode it and every time my attention was drawn to that ride, the fire worked.

Sorry, I meant in the opening Season (Add a few More) The "Gunshots" Would triggger Water Effects that spary waterto the train. I also miss the doors

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I remember the "splashdown" at the end, but had forgotten about the water in the fire/helicopter scene.

To switch gears here, I have never understood those people that say "move Congo Falls/Log Flume/WhiteWater Canyon to the waterpark!" or "Water rides only belong in the waterpark." To this, I say... "WRONG!"

There is a long history of water rides in amusement parks... longer than the modern concept of a waterpark has been around. Water rides are a great way to cool down during a hot summer day. I actually like that Congo Falls is where it is. If I'm in Action Zone or the west side of Coney Mall, I don't have to trudge all the way to Rivertown (or the waterpark) to get wet and cool, and vice versa if I'm in Rivertown. I don't mind walking around in wet clothes; it keeps me cool. If you want to stay dry, don't ride them and let them remain where they are for the rest of us to enjoy.

• Like 4

^The fire is off and on. I saw it not do anything multiple times this year.

I must have been lucky then, because every time I rode it and every time my attention was drawn to that ride, the fire worked.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I remember the "splashdown" at the end, but had forgotten about the water in the fire/helicopter scene.

To switch gears here, I have never understood those people that say "move Congo Falls/Log Flume/WhiteWater Canyon to the waterpark!" or "Water rides only belong in the waterpark." To this, I say... "WRONG!"

There is a long history of water rides in amusement parks... longer than the modern concept of a waterpark has been around. Water rides are a great way to cool down during a hot summer day. I actually like that Congo Falls is where it is. If I'm in Action Zone or the west side of Coney Mall, I don't have to trudge all the way to Rivertown (or the waterpark) to get wet and cool, and vice versa if I'm in Rivertown. I don't mind walking around in wet clothes; it keeps me cool. If you want to stay dry, don't ride them and let them remain where they are for the rest of us to enjoy.

while I do not like to get wet at the park I would never remove these rides .They take people out of the lines for rides I do like DB Racer Beast Vortex Banshee The Bat and others.

• Like 4

If I HAD to remove a ride, and I'm thinking from a personal standpoint as a customer, I would remove Diamondback. We already have a boring steel coaster in Planet Snoopy. I can live without one in the main park.

Did YoungStud post from your account?

Lol no, I don't dislike it NEARLY as much as he does, nor do I find it remotely rough. I just think that pretty much every other coaster at KI is better.

If I HAD to remove a ride, and I'm thinking from a personal standpoint as a customer, I would remove Diamondback. We already have a boring steel coaster in Planet Snoopy. I can live without one in the main park.

Did YoungStud post from your account?

Lol no, I don't dislike it NEARLY as much as he does, nor do I find it remotely rough. I just think that pretty much every other coaster at KI is better.

But Diamondback is the tallest and fastest. Also meanest.

I think the rides are great as they are. Some just need updated. I would leave the current rides and re-do the Crypt. It is a decent size building and it can be worth so much more than a Haunt year round. It would be really cool to have a flat that was a bit more aimed at adults....maybe something a little scary or dark.

• Like 3