Coastermania 2014

Contemplating on whether to go, I am indeed going to be purchasing a GOCC membership for my Christmas present to myself.

Razzy, what is you stance?

I'd love to go, but I cannot make plans this far in advance, for I might be gone on vacation then for all I know. It sounds like a lot of fun though! Hope I can make it!

• Like 2

Oh well of course, but it can honestly give more thrills than even the best of the best. That bunny hill has more intense airtime than maverick's camelback IMO

I hope it's demise isn't met at all, or at least while I'm gone. If it goes I have to ride it one last time..

At least I have a couple pieces of her in a box at home I got to keep..

• Like 7

Yes!!! Its being held the weekend after Holiwood Nights at Holiday World! Last year going to both Holiwood Nights and Coastermania was the best week ever with my wife and it looks like we will be able to duplicate that week again next year!

Provided that event even exists in 2014.

Paula posted a teaser pic of the photo shoot for the HWN 2014 flyer in the HWN Facebook group on Friday, so as of now it's happening.

• Like 4

Actually the box was a box used to hold spare seatbelt webbing and has some intact and some damadged seatbelts inside of it that would have just been pitched. Favorite thing I got was a whole seatbelt harness from my favorite row that was replaced during NDT during the off season before my ride was certified to run that season.

• Like 4

^We made our first trip June 2013. It was awesome until a bad storm hit. There were several rides I did not get to ride that I wanted to ride and can't wait to go. I am thinking we will upgrade our season pass to a Platinum when we go because I am pretty sure we will have an additional trip in June or July there. It will then pay for itself.

• Like 2

We upgraded to platinum this year, with high hopes of going to CP, KD, MA, and maybe Carowinds. Spacing vacation time while still having my time at the track in May, is going to be the tricky part.

My wife and I did the platinum thing for 2013 ad it was great. Made my first trip to CP since 2000 and my wife's first trip since shortly after. Truth be told, we ended up spending more time there this year then we did at KI. While it will never replace my beloved home park, I can see why people fall in love with The Point. Carowinds is definitely worth the drive too. My wife ended up being sent to Charlotte for a week long work training so I took some time off and we hit Carowinds over haunt. In my opinion it's not as great as KI or CP but is a quaint little park that is well worth the drive. Make good use of the Platinum! Even seeing only 3 CF parks it is amazing totally different experience each park is. Also have to ask since you are an Indiana guy..what track do you visit in the month of May. I have a guess but could be wrong..

• Like 1

I'm guessing your guessing correctly, lol. It is a bad habit I guess, but being from around these parts, when someone says "the track" it is assumed Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the destination.

We get bronze badges every year, and I usually just take my vacation at that time and go to the track everyday. We also camp there from Thursday-Race day. The spectacle of speed is something I became hooked on at a young age. Even now, after all the time I've spent at those hallowed grounds, when I go through the tunnel from 16th street, the reverence of the place is overwhelming.

• Like 4

Where to you camp when you go to the track? I've never braved that element of the track. :) One of my best friends lives 8 houses from the track. When I go, I hang out there when not at the track. Rodger Ward used to go to their house every year until he died a few years ago. His son (does not race) usually shows up at some point, too.

• Like 1

We camp in Lot 2, it's a lively, but not extreme camp zone. We camped in the Coke lot a couple times, but man, you gotta stay on your toes over there.

Nice that you have a friend that close, my cousin had a house on 28th street at one time, just behind T4. Would be very cool to have met Roger Ward. Those guys from "back in the day" just WOW!!

That is the great part of the bronze badges, if the weather is bad, I can just hang out in the garages. Watch them wrench on the cars, and maybe, just maybe, get a chance to get a word or two with Mario, "Rocket" Rick Mears, Al Sr, Al Jr., or Uncle Bobby.

Edit: Should include the very rarest, "Super Tex" A.J. Foyt, might acknowledge you exist, lol

• Like 2

We camp in Lot 2, it's a lively, but not extreme camp zone. We camped in the Coke lot a couple times, but man, you gotta stay on your toes over there.

Nice that you have a friend that close, my cousin had a house on 28th street at one time, just behind T4. Would be very cool to have met Roger Ward. Those guys from "back in the day" just WOW!!

That is the great part of the bronze badges, if the weather is bad, I can just hang out in the garages. Watch them wrench on the cars, and maybe, just maybe, get a chance to get a word or two with Mario, "Rocket" Rick Mears, Al Sr, Al Jr., or Uncle Bobby.

Edit: Should include the very rarest, "Super Tex" A.J. Foyt, might acknowledge you exist, lol

Rodger was a very nice man. I've been fortunate to meet many drivers. When I worked at Thom McAn, I waited on Rick Mears. He was very unassuming and pretty low key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2