Coastermania 2014

We camp in Lot 2, it's a lively, but not extreme camp zone. We camped in the Coke lot a couple times, but man, you gotta stay on your toes over there.

Nice that you have a friend that close, my cousin had a house on 28th street at one time, just behind T4. Would be very cool to have met Roger Ward. Those guys from "back in the day" just WOW!!

That is the great part of the bronze badges, if the weather is bad, I can just hang out in the garages. Watch them wrench on the cars, and maybe, just maybe, get a chance to get a word or two with Mario, "Rocket" Rick Mears, Al Sr, Al Jr., or Uncle Bobby.

Edit: Should include the very rarest, "Super Tex" A.J. Foyt, might acknowledge you exist, lol

Rodger was a very nice man. I've been fortunate to meet many drivers. When I worked at Thom McAn, I waited on Rick Mears. He was very unassuming and pretty low key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to spring for badges one of these days. I've been attending every year since 1990 at this point and have never been in the pits during the month of May. Past few years I have had a race the Friday and Saturday before the 500 so I haven't even been able to camp. I may have a ride lined up for the Hoosier Hundred at the fairgrounds next year so camping may be back on the radar. I am right there with you on the reverance of the place. There is nowhere like it in the world (although Eldora comes close). I still get goosebumps and a little misty eyed every time Mr. Neighbors graces us with Back Home Again in Indiana. The 2005 race was even my wife and I's first official date and the first live race of any kind she attended. There have been a lot of changes over the years and not all good but it is and will always be The Greatest Spectacle in Racing and a place that has shaped my life.

We camp in Lot 2, it's a lively, but not extreme camp zone. We camped in the Coke lot a couple times, but man, you gotta stay on your toes over there.

Nice that you have a friend that close, my cousin had a house on 28th street at one time, just behind T4. Would be very cool to have met Roger Ward. Those guys from "back in the day" just WOW!!

That is the great part of the bronze badges, if the weather is bad, I can just hang out in the garages. Watch them wrench on the cars, and maybe, just maybe, get a chance to get a word or two with Mario, "Rocket" Rick Mears, Al Sr, Al Jr., or Uncle Bobby.

Edit: Should include the very rarest, "Super Tex" A.J. Foyt, might acknowledge you exist, lol

OK, small world stuff continues. Your cousin wasn't Ray by any chance was he?

Sounds like maybe we need a KIC IMS get together :)

• Like 5

Yes!!! Its being held the weekend after Holiwood Nights at Holiday World! Last year going to both Holiwood Nights and Coastermania was the best week ever with my wife and it looks like we will be able to duplicate that week again next year!

Provided that event even exists in 2014.

I know this has been responded to already but:

What do you mean the dates for HWN are already set for May 30th and 31st. I understand you were a fan of Dan but if you read the reports he illegally tried to take the park from Lori. Dan is gone as he should be he was in the park for the money and not for the customers. Matt Eckart was there during the original HWN and they want to continue this great event for the foreseeable future. Paula and HW use this event to connect with enthusiasts from around the world. Why would they change or cancel an event that has such a great reputation for fun in the enthusiast company?

• Like 2

"Why would they change or cancel an event that has such a great reputation for fun in the enthusiast company?"

Because it costs a lot of money to cater to 3% of the park going population who contribute VERY little to yearly per-caps, simple economics.

Sparky, who will say no more on any subject regarding HW, and who will be up north at CM on June 6th.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I should be there. I'm still not sure whether I will head up Thursday afternoon or make this a day trip.

Is anyone from here looking to share the cost of a hotel room, by any chance, in case I would arrive early and/or decide against 1:00am driving on OH-4?

We're heading up Thursday, go to the park until closing. Friday Coastermania, and then ERT Saturday morning. Head for Mason after that, then KI Sunday. Should be a great way to mark my 50th birthday, if I can get Monday off anyway.

* We consisting of myself, the Mrs, and UnrealNightmare.

• Like 4

Just modified the reservation. Headed up Thursday after work, staying about 20 ish mins from the park near Port Clinton this time unfortunately, lot of hotels fully booked in the area that offer reasonable prices.

I'll be there till about 1700 Sunday because I'll need to get and go to bed that evening for early tech work on Mon morning

From Tony Clark via GOCC on Facebook:

Friends,

We’re pleased to announce a few “additions” to CoasterMania! 2014! Please spread the word to your club members. As a reminder, CoasterMania! is open to current members of valid, approved coaster clubs. For a complete list, check here: https://www.cedarpoint.com/coastermania

1. Registration takes place at the front gate only – this means NOT at the Marina Gate, Resort Gate or Beach Gate. If members are staying at the hotels on property, they can catch a shuttle (at the RipCord/Challenge Park/Soak City stop) that will take them to the front gate beginning at 6:00 a.m. Shuttles will run continuously. Please only enter through the front gate.

2. The CoasterMania! Cruise – Enjoy a FREE, 45-minute cruise on the Jet Express and absorb the breathtaking views of Cedar Point from the water! Grab your cameras and get ready to see our park like you’ve never seen it before. Other cruises go PAST the park. This one’s going all the way around the Cedar Point Peninsula so YOU can get the best shot of America’s Roller Coast. Several cruises will depart from the Cedar Point Marina throughout the afternoon and evening. Limited availability. Members interested in going on the cruise must pick up their ticket at morning registration at the front gate only. Tickets will be given out on a first-come, first-served basis. Once all tickets are given out, that’s it!

3. The Mean Streak Challenge – Want to WIN a 2015 Platinum Pass? You can during The Mean Streak Challenge! What is it, you ask? All we can tell you is that it involves riding Mean Streak. And a few “other” surprises to go along with your ride. Members interested in participating must be at the Mean Streak entrance by 9 a.m. on Friday, June 6. Limited availability on this contest. Full rules will be posted at the ride entrance.

4. Other surprises we can’t tell you about!

We’re excited to see all of our friends & fans on Friday. Please spread the word about these new additions so everyone knows!

See you soon,

Tony

(Posted here in full for the benefit of those without Facebook accounts.)

• Like 2