Kings Dominion 2014

I swear there's a topic floating around somewhere about Kings Dominion's 2014 addition, but search didn't bring it up and I couldn't find it. New news to report today anyway, but to briefly summarize, the park's big news for 2014 (announced a month or so ago) is that it will bring back a lot of nostalgia.

To Refresh Your Memory

Most noticeably, the park's "Congo" and "The Grove" areas return to the names / themes they had during the park's early years, "Safari Village" and "Candy Apple Grove" respectively.

Congo (now Safari Village) will receive "improvements" on Volcano and Anaconda (begging that Anaconda's improvement is new restraints). Candy Apple Grove (very much equivalent to our Coney Mall) will get new lighting packages for the rides along the midway and the park's famous "oversized candy apples" will return. Blue ice cream will finally make a come back (apparently Kings Dominion has been without it for many years) and the Royal Fountains will get a major facelift (rumored to be identical to Wonderland's from last year with a "World of Color" style water show built in).

Today's Announcement

Newly announced just today is the next nostalgic surprise: the park's singing mushrooms will return after being ousted by Paramount in the 1990s. The simple little garden in Candy Apple Grove looked like it just had plastic mushrooms, but every once in a while they'd "wake up," led by a pianist frog, and sing barbershop quartet songs. They'll be back in 2014 in their old spot, brought back to life by Garner Holt Productions.

Here's a video of the originals:

The rest of the park's 2014 plans are here and they promise more surprises are on the way.

I think we can all agree that this bodes very well for all Cedar Fair's parks.

• Like 19

Yes....magic mushrooms! Kings Island could benefit from a display similar to that.....Festhouse Clock maybe?

It'd be one thing if the Festhaus clock had been quietly shut off and the animated figurines were hidden behind closed doors. But it's an embarrassment for the park that the thing hasn't worked since at least 2009, with one of the doors ajar with a little chef figurine stuck halfway inside, halfway outside.

JA0pMyk.jpg

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

Kings Dominion has now started a "12 Days of Christmas Surprises!" campaign, which will feature something new everyday, that they will be doing to the park in 2014.....

On the first day of Christmas, Kings Dominion gave to me:

The return of the iconic Floral Clock!

ae3b04.jpg

(Photo Courtesy of Kings Dominion)

"The Floral Clock will be completely rebuilt in its original location at the end of Center Street near the historic park Carousel."

• Like 8

From KDs Facebook:

On the 2nd day of Christmas, #KD40 gave to me: A 40th Celebration Collector Pin Trading Program! Be a part of the celebration by collecting all of the 40th Celebration pins! The commemorative pins will be released on select dates throughout the year for you to collect, trade and enjoy! What pin designs would you like to see?

OjwPHRX.jpg

(Photo from KDs Facebook)

• Like 4

And we got a waterpark upgrade.....

KD competes with BGW.

At the time, KI competed with...a closed KK? (not that an open KK would have mattered much).

It matters.

I understand that KD competes with BGW, but do they compete in celebrating anniversaries? From what I've seen so far, I hardly count it as competing "material" to one up BGW. Bringing back some of the days of old, 40 years from the first season.

KI 40 years from the first season, we got a waterpark upgrade...while I understand an upgrade was necessary, I know several people who would like to see the days of old at KI.

• Like 2

From KDs Facebook:

On the 3rd day of Christmas, #KD40 gave to me: Unlimited Dinosaurs Alive visits for 2014 Gold and Platinum Passholders! Travel back 65 million years ago as many times as you’d like with your family now that Dinosaurs Alive will be included for free with your Gold and Platinum Season Pass beginning in 2014! Don’t forget: Our Buy Now Pay Later program ends soon!

4l3YB6F.jpg

(Photo From KDs Facebook)

• Like 8