Kings Dominion 2014

me thinks that KD is being creatively positioned, if you know what I mean.

I think Terp is spot on that long-term, CF purchased the Paramount Parks footprint for profit. Meanwhile I don't think that 6-flags and CF will merge, I think that a few Six parks could switch into CF hands and opposite in the coming years.

The only reason I could see Kings Island staying in CF hands is so they can "manage" the in-state competition. I think there was a little of that going on when they bought GL and when they tried to right-size it they bought the Island and GL became an expendable source of new rides for the chain to weather a rough economic climate.

• Like 4

I really can't see Disney buying the parks. With the fiasco that the next gen experience stuff is appearing to becoming, and how the billions that whole deal has cost is rumored to have hurt current and future projects. I just can't see them spending billions on buying a chain of parks that simply don't fit the Disney model. They'd probably have to drop billions more to get the theming up to their standards, not to mention that the over the top thrill rides are not really Disney's thing. Considering their current parks are in need of serious upgrades/upkeep and they have to budget in for the Avatar expansion, a Star Wars expansion, and who knows what else they have planned, I just can't see it happening.

Now Comcast(Universal) is a little more likely as they are showing the willingness to spend on theme parks, but do they really want to take on a whole chain? It seems they are more interested in going after Disney than they would in expanding outside their current areas. I think we could see them buy the Busch parks, but buying Cedar Fair would be a shock, to me at least.

A SF/CF or a buyout is interesting. Not sure what I'd think about that, but I wouldn't dismiss it as its probably the most likely option here other than status quo.

Of course there is always the possibility of a third media company coming in and buying the parks. Maybe Fox or something like that? You really can't discount that kind of thing.

• Like 4

There is also the possibility that the chain could split and only sell some of the parks, which would then make it more attractive to Disney, et al. If this were to happen, I would guess that CF would keep the best performing parks...but who knows, they could, if times get tough, liquidate their assets to whomever has the capital.

• Like 1

Were it not for Mr. Geoff Raynor, the Knotts and Q, I doubt Cedar Fair would be intact today. Had Apollo gotten its mitts on it, Mr. Dick Kinzel and his cronies would be even more fabulously wealthy, and the company itself almost certainly would not being doing as well as it is today. The chances that Matt Ouimet would be running it would be somewhere between slim and none.

These daily announcements from KD would almost certainly not be happening. Banshee neither. Son of Beast might or might not be gone.

• Like 3

From KDs Facebook:

Throwback Thursday & On the 7th day of Christmas, KD gave to me: A Walk of Memories from the 70’s to the 2000’s around the Eiffel Tower. Travel back in time and learn about the rich history of Kings Dominion with our Walk of Memories boards that will be located around the Eiffel Tower.

bbDi6yT.jpg
(Photo From KDs Facebook)

• Like 11

From KDS Facebook:

On the 9th day of Christmas, ‪#‎KD40‬ gave to me: The Return of the original Coca-Cola Pizza Parlor. Tower Pizza will be renovated and return to its original "Coca-Cola Pizza Parlor" - circa 1976. The restaurant interior will feature a whole new look and feel with more room inside to cool off during the dog days of summer and new limited time only pizza toppings.

zuExRjn.jpg

• Like 10

I despise LTO (limited time only) offerings.

It's not the toppings that need improvement at Tower Pizza. It's the pizza.

Tiny little slices of dry, dried out dough with very little sauce. It's almost as bad as the crap that Six Flags called pizza last year, and that's saying something.

Cedar Point (when it's hot and fresh) and Dorney Park have excellent pizza. Cedar Fair CAN do it. Will it?

• Like 9

Courtesy of Kings Dominion's Facebook page:

"On the 10th day of Christmas, ‪#‎KD40‬ gave to me: Improvements to Volcano - The Blast Coaster. In 2014, guests will experience improved and enhanced entrance and exit lines resulting in more riders per hour who will be able to experience this signature park attraction. We will also begin a multi-year project to restore the look of Kings Dominion’s iconic mountain, which will include concrete replacement and fresh paint."

1zvrcpy.jpg

(Photo Courtesy of Kings Dominion)

• Like 16

Have you rode Volcano?

I've only been on it once a few years ago and from what I remember, the queue is very dodgey, often backed up, how people deal with loose articles, the gates (entrance and exit) are not easily dealt with. I want to say I remember where you got on, wasn't where you got off (that was about 20 feet back) thus making the train have to move forward before anyone could board.

I'm not real sure. Hah.

• Like 8

Theres alot wrong with Volcano...It's a great ride but honestly it has been a capacity nightmare for awhile. At least they're loading full trains, opening year they didn't.

I hope the small pond next to the station isn't removed with this

Last time I was there they hold people outside of the first bit of queue until the station is clear...That's about the only thing I see changing

The capacity will increase a bit, but you can't outrun the rides operations, and I don't think I see that changing

• Like 7

On the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, and 13th day of Christmas Kings Island gave to me... a second wave pool for it's 40th.

KD already got their 2nd wave pool, and they got to keep WaterWorks.

Kings Island, please for the love of my themed heart, take after KD in the 45th or at least the season after this, I want to see my old style returning with a ride I call Eagles and a taxi cab attraction. Oh and can I see a Phantom's Revenge come our way?

BB1, who may go to KD for these themed premises.

• Like 3

Have you rode Volcano?

I've only been on it once a few years ago and from what I remember, the queue is very dodgey, often backed up, how people deal with loose articles, the gates (entrance and exit) are not easily dealt with. I want to say I remember where you got on, wasn't where you got off (that was about 20 feet back) thus making the train have to move forward before anyone could board.

I'm not real sure. Hah.

I remember the bit about the load/unload stations and agree that those could be improved, but I don't remember the queue being too much of a problem. Then again, it will have been four years next August/September since I was last at KD. I'm curious to see how the queue changes, because Volcano's queue is the best ride queue existing in the Cedar Fair parks I've been to, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Volcano's queue and loading area setup always screamed "this ride is in a building that wasn't designed for it" to me. IIRC, the ramp down to the load area was really sketchy and would get backed up since the separator in the big queue area had no way of knowing how many people were on it already. It was just an odd setup.

• Like 5

From KDs Facebook:

On the 11th day of Christmas, ‪#‎KD40‬ gave to me: A fresh paint job for the Anaconda! During the off-season, we’ll be sprucing up the look of the Anaconda roller coaster by repainting the entire ride. The lake below the ride is already drained and work is underway to have the ride ready for the 2014 operating season. And the colors? Well, the ride columns will be green, the supports for the track red and the train’s running rails yellow.

MWP7voF.jpg

• Like 13