First Roller Coaster Ride

thoe124

Beastie, a few years before Great Pumpkin showed up (or whatever it was called when it was introduced). I used to have a MAJOR phobia of coasters. My first ride on Beast almost scared me off them for good. However, a few runs on Racer started to warm me up, then finding Top Gun for the first time started my love affair. Must have rode it a dozen times in a row until the park closing when I first discovered it.

• Like 5

Little Dipper at Camden Park in the late 80's.

Too scared that the Big Dipper was going to fall apart for another 10 years or so (sometimes I still wonder if it could just looking at it ). But I rode as a teen and again this year (it's actually a good ride)

We always had to bring my best friend to any park or fair when I was a child because my dad and he would actually ride the rides( novel concept eh?). By the time I was 16 my Dad had passed away and I never got to ride a coaster with him- just any flat that spun like crazy.

But somehow now all these years later finally finding the love of coasters that he had it makes me feel a little better that it seems I'm not the only one that was scared to death until some random ride caught me hook, line, sinker. Thanks KI ;)

• Like 4

The New Sensation, Camden Park, Huntington, West Virginia. (rcdb.com incorrectly calls it Figure 8)

Six months before I was born. Many, many times.

I don't remember the ride that day, or the ride itself. It was replaced by the Big Dipper. I rode that its first season, too.

I know I've posted this before, but like Terpy, my first coaster ride was in a womb without a view. My first ride was The Racer, several months before I was born. Times were different then.

A few years later, I would take my first "official" ride on Scooby Doo (aka Beastie/Fairly Odd Coaster/Woodstock Express) somewhere around 1975 or '76.

• Like 2

jack rabbit at kennywood in west mifflin pennsylvania when i was 5 years old. rode with my grandpa and remember going down the first drop i had butterflies and looked at my grandpa and just screamed and then on the double drop it freaked me out a little when i came out of my seat. and since then ive been a thrill junkie, a very bad thrill junkie nothing i wont do now.

and my first looping coaster was corckscrew at myrtle beach also when i was 5 but after jack rabbit of course. i liked it too.

• Like 3

• 5 years later...

I wish I could remember. My dad took me to amusement parks all the time as a child. I remember my first big ride, it was at Hershey Park, he insisted I was going to ride the pirate ship, I was scared to death crying and saying no. Well he won, thank goodness, because I came off it laughing my head off and there started my love of rides. I think my first big coaster was Magnum, but that's a guess. I've only started tracking my rides in the last two years. Next week we are going to Kings Dominion, I'm excited as I will get my 75th coaster. I know that's not much compared to some of you but I'm happy with it. Just trying to decide which coaster I want it to be.

On 11/16/2013 at 10:34 AM, sikkinixx99 said:

The Racer Backwards 1983. Have been hooked since. Always loved going backwards on that ride!!

Forward was my first ride. Backward was my second. Probably the same year. 

• Like 1

I honestly don't know the year and I'm not 100% certain of this but since I was small child in the 80s it likely goes like this:

Scooby Doo/ Beastie

Beast or Forward Racer

Beast or Forward Racer

Adventure Express or Top Gun

Adventure Express or Top Gun

Then at this point I know for certain the order:

Vortex

King Cobra

Backwards Racer

Outer Limits

Face Off

Son of Beast

Then I went to Cedar Point and lost track again.

I could have sworn that I replied to a thread about this once. If I did, it must not have been this one or the one linked on the first page...

Anyway, I'm actually not sure. It was definitely at Kings Island and definitely sometime in the mid-to-late 90's. A very likely candidate is Beastie, though Scooby Zoom and Scooby's Ghoster Coaster are also possible candidates. Adventure Express also happened around that time for me, but I doubt it was my first--the thing terrified me, so I wouldn't have ridden anything else afterward, and I know I at least rode Beastie and SGC back then, too. I really didn't enjoy coasters in those days. Then, something happened in the temple of the Triangle of Light in Rivertown... :)