Worlds First Polercoaster

That article states that it hasn't been confirmed yet nor have the plans been approved yet. "A Florida roller coaster company wants to build a towering roller coaster in Las Vegas, but the project has a long way to go before becoming a reality."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

I couldn't find a topic specifically on Skyplex, so I suppose this topic will have to do.

For those unaware, a 570-foot roller coaster was announced for Orlando's International Drive last June. The ride was part of a $200 million development that also included ground level stores, a tower-top restaurant and observation deck, and a 1,500 car parking garage.

Am edited POV of the attraction was released today, showcasing the new thrill ride's unique connection of twists, turns, and inversions. It definitely looks like an exciting ride:

http://vzaar.com/videos/2286078

• Like 9

Awesome. This isn't just a grab at a world record like I had initially thought. The coaster is actually very cool! Nice pacing, nice rhythm, not too repetitive either!

This coaster can compete with coasters at the world-renowned parks!

Now... let's just see how long this stays smooth.. let's see how well maintenance is prioritized.

• Like 4

I don't know, it just looked like a very different type of roller coaster than I've ever seen before. I guess I saw it as like a giant tower/coaster combo (one ride and therefore, not a "true" roller coaster in my eyes) rather than a roller coaster that happened to be wrapped around a tower. The video made it seem like the roller coaster was both connected to and independent of the structure as it didn't just tightly wrap around the tower. It sounds confusing, but the bottom line is, the first rendering didn't look like any roller coaster that I had seen before, and not in a good way. On the other hand, the video makes the ride see like an awesome roller coaster than just happens to be located in/near and climb a functional observation tower.

• Like 4

Well, that actually looks insanely fun based on the POV...it would likely need a lot of trims (570 feet is going to give it insane speed if left unchecked and that would make the g-forces too high for riders), and I'd hope it's not too rough (will likely be rougher than a B&M but shouldn't be too bad). My main concern- and why I don't think you'll see one of these at Cedar Point or Kings Island in this form- is capacity. One car, 8 riders per car, and there didn't seem to be many MCBR sections. OK for a small park charging $10 or more per ride, but at Cedar Point this would be a 5-hour wait every single weekend in July unless they raise the capacity...and capacity seems to be a pretty big priority for modern Cedar Fair's flagship roller coasters. Part of the reason there have been so many B&M's as of late.

Overall: Looks incredible, but in this form not good for a big park. Though it could perhaps be tweaked...

• Like 2

Um...okay.

Terp...who long ago decided that he rides before he decides...

T'is merely anticipatory judgments..

Of course nothing will compare to actually riding.. but I'm not going down to Florida any time soon..

Well, that actually looks insanely fun based on the POV...it would likely need a lot of trims (570 feet is going to give it insane speed if left unchecked and that would make the g-forces too high for riders), and I'd hope it's not too rough (will likely be rougher than a B&M but shouldn't be too bad). My main concern- and why I don't think you'll see one of these at Cedar Point or Kings Island in this form- is capacity. One car, 8 riders per car, and there didn't seem to be many MCBR sections. OK for a small park charging $10 or more per ride, but at Cedar Point this would be a 5-hour wait every single weekend in July unless they raise the capacity...and capacity seems to be a pretty big priority for modern Cedar Fair's flagship roller coasters. Part of the reason there have been so many B&M's as of late.

Overall: Looks incredible, but in this form not good for a big park. Though it could perhaps be tweaked...

Assuming they have blocks.. which they likely do.. I'd expect them to be located before the various straight, I think beyond vertical, drops.

^
Would make sense. Though it would need to run a lot of those 1-car trains and send them out fairly often to have enough capacity at a major park though- especially given the 500'+ foot height would draw people to it. Or they could revamp the design for multiple cars per train in the future if possible (and if they can run multiple trains that way it could actually become very HIGH capacity).

Edit: Corrected by Terpy once again.

• Like 1