Schlitterbahn to open world's tallest waterslide in Kansas

Poor Kentucky Kingdom...don't you just hate it when you build something that's supposed to break a record, then you get one-upped? :P

Other examples of this I can think of...
Holiday World announces Voyage, which would at the time of its opening was supposed to have the world's steepest drop on a wooden coaster...then SFGadv announced El Toro.

Cedar Point opens Millennium Force, the world's first giga coaster at 310 feet...then they get one upped only a few months later by Steel Dragon 2000, which was 318 feet.

And those are the only two I can think of, off the top of my head at least...

Do you guys really think people from our area will pass up Kings Island, Holiday World, or even Kentucky Kingdom to drive to Kansas?

I don't know how far a drive Kansas is, but I doubt this significantly impacts attendance at any of the three parks listed above.

No, I don't really. It just impacts a bit of KK's marketing...possibly. They could still just lie and say they still have the world's tallest waterslide, even though it is no longer true...

Would not be the first time a park has done it.

Poor Kentucky Kingdom...don't you just hate it when you build something that's supposed to break a record, then you get one-upped? :P

Other examples of this I can think of...

Holiday World announces Voyage, which would at the time of its opening was supposed to have the world's steepest drop on a wooden coaster...then SFGadv announced El Toro.

Cedar Point opens Millennium Force, the world's first giga coaster at 310 feet...then they get one upped only a few months later by Steel Dragon 2000, which was 318 feet.

And those are the only two I can think of, off the top of my head at least...

Actually, Schlitterbahn had originally announced they would be building the world's tallest water slide around the time of IAAPA 2012. Construction started shortly after. Many thought it would open in time for the 2013 season, but that obviously didn't happen. So, technically, KK didn't get one-upped, they just failed at doing their research before making such a claim.

Note, this is off the top of my head, so I may be off a little in the timeframe, but I'm at least within a couple months.

• Like 1

I actually probably would have went just to go try something like this. Being restrained in a coaster and even just the safety systems there, you feel secure at all times. Having probably just two handles to hold onto..that's just...wow...I'd wear brown shorts when riding this thing. That's like dropping off of Corkscrew with nothing to hold onto, screw that haha.

I actually probably would have went just to go try something like this. Being restrained in a coaster and even just the safety systems there, you feel secure at all times. Having probably just two handles to hold onto..that's just...wow...I'd wear brown shorts when riding this thing. That's like dropping off of Corkscrew with nothing to hold onto, screw that haha.

You should try riding Wildebeest at Holiday World by yourself. It absolutely feels like the ONLY thing keeping you from flying out of the boat is your death grip on the handles on either side of you, and the 200-pound boat will literally jump the hills.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...