Oktoberfest through the years

KIfan73

Does anyone know when the bridge over the pond was added and when it was removed? It wasn't there when the park opened and it wasn't there in 1983, but it was there by 1987 and it was positivly there in 1991. And does anyone know why it was removed?

I feel like something to do with the events of June 9th 1991

But it doesn't add up, since the bridge is in the picture of 1992.

• Like 1

Is June 9th, 1991 the Black Sunday everyone refers to? Where two people died in two different incidents? Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

It was three people, actually.

It would make sense if the bridge was removed due to the pond incident. The first guy who fell in, the one who lived, was leaning over the railing on the bridge and splashing water before he was shocked.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

My pitch for overhauling Oktoberfest to its former glory while adding a new twist to the once beloved section.

1. Expand Oktoberfest to include Tower Gardens to add more space
  2. Remove Hank's Burrito Shack and replace it with something more "German"
  3. Have the area sell exclusively German food like giant pretzels, sausage, etc. 
  4. Bring back the classic Spinning Keggers
  5. Bring back the old clock outside of the Festhaus
  6. Add German theming around the area like flags, possible FCC soccer banners because of their German roots
  7. Move Slingshot to X-Base to allow more room for another flat
  8. Remove the ladder game and shorten the Adventure Express que to allow for more room

Oktoberfest has been arguably the most neglected of the original 5 sections that debuted when the park opened in 1972 so bringing the area back to its former glory would be a welcomed return- especially if its done for the park's 50th anniversary. 

• Like 8

On 1/16/2019 at 1:51 PM, SonofBaconator said:

Oktoberfest has been arguably the most neglected of the original 5 sections that debuted when the park opened in 1972 so bringing the area back to its former glory would be a welcomed return- especially if its done for the park's 50th anniversary. 

I don’t know why, but when I read “the original 5 sections” I thought of Outpost Five.... but I digress.... anywho, maybe CF would consider a Gerstlauer for Oktoberfest?

https://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/products/roller-coasters/

• Like 2

10 hours ago, upstop said:

I don’t know why, but when I read “the original 5 sections” I thought of Outpost Five.... but I digress.... anywho, maybe CF would consider a Gerstlauer for Oktoberfest?

https://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/products/roller-coasters/

Possibly theme a Spinning coaster as a renewal/reinvention of the Keggers...

https://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/products/roller-coasters/spinning-coaster/

• Like 2

Why not just bring back the Skyride. Remove slingshot, add a new station, convert the Snoopy store in PS back into a station. Evacuating people from 100ft up is not as hard compared back to the late 70’s. Fire trucks now days have ladders that go that high. Wouldn’t be hard for the park to purchase a cherry picker with a 100’ reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I agree as to it’s ability to make money anyplace. It just seems like making “Action Zone” more about extreme experiences would make sense and it could live there, or as others have stated, Xbase and flesh that area out more as a mini land with space and flight themed rides. 

• Like 1

I think a big part of Slingshot's ridership comes from its visibility.  Where it is located is probably one of the more heavily traveled paths of the park and really contributes to the impulse buy of riding it, where so many people can see it in action.  When I come to King's Island, I am not seeking out the Slingshot, or thinking about it, but when I walk buy it, I think "Oh that looks pretty fun."

While I agree about not personally liking where it is located, it just would not have the same visibility in X-Base currently, and therefore less ridership because of less people being lured in with that impulse buy to do it.

Depending on what goes in to Firehawk's old spot and what they do with the rest of that area, that could certainly change, and in that case could end up being the perfect spot for a Slingshot relocation.

My pitch for overhauling Oktoberfest to its former glory while adding a new twist to the once beloved section.

3. Have the area sell exclusively German food like giant pretzels, sausage, etc. 
  6. Add German theming around the area like flags, possible FCC soccer banners because of their German roots
  8. Remove the ladder game and shorten the Adventure Express que to allow for more room

In addition to this, I would take a page out of Verbolten's book retheme Adventure Express to the Black Forest to remain consistent with the German theme. I don't know how easy this would be, especially with the animated statues at the end of the ride but it would be an interesting change. 

• Like 3

This is exactly what I have been saying for several years (not to burst your own bubble). WE NEED TO RESTORE OKTOBERFEST TO ITS FORMER GLORY!!!!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

In addition to this, I would take a page out of Verbolten's book retheme Adventure Express to the Black Forest to remain consistent with the German theme. I don't know how easy this would be, especially with the animated statues at the end of the ride but it would be an interesting change. 

YOU HAVE ENTERED THE FORBIDDEN BIERGARTEN, NOW, YOU, WILL, DRINK!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Maverick44 said:

If you rethemed AE....what would we replace the pumping arms dudes with up the last hill? I mean they are classic and would take something amazing to replace them.

You could wrap what is already there in some fur, give them some horns and call them Alps?  https://wikivisually.com/wiki/Alp_(folklore)

:D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I don't know how easy this would be, especially with the animated statues at the end of the ride but it would be an interesting change. 

They could be German figures raising and lowering beer steins. Lol with song playing as you go up the hill:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

If you rethemed AE....what would we replace the pumping arms dudes with up the last hill? I mean they are classic and would take something amazing to replace them.

Perhaps replace the tunnel figures with traditional Oktoberfest costumed people hoisting the traditional beer steins and have Oompa (sp) band music playing in the background.

Pic source: Lake Highlands Exchange Club Dallas, TX

two-guys-with-mugs.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...