You Know It's the Off Season When...

Ride On_17

14 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

When I listen to Adele's "Send My Love (To Your New Lover)" multiple times a day purely because I have associated it to Kings Island thanks to the numerous times I have heard it there.

I even have it associated with a specific moment I somehow remember vividly: ~10 minutes before park closing on Labor Day 2016, when I was sipping Minute Maid lemonade from my newly refilled souvenir cup while walking past a 2-9 Vortex on the way to WindSeeker to take my last flight of the evening. :)

You have the great memory that I do lol....

Paramore's Still Into You is a song I defintiely associate myself with KI Last year..... Let me see if I recall this correctly.... August 11th, 2016 1:00 PM? I was walking on the midway from Delirium to Slingshot looking at the Oktoberfest pond when the song came on... I was with BeastForever at the time and I just started like walking/dancing it was kinda funny. :D

That night after ERT night with Racer I was waiting at the bathroom near the Coca-Cola Marketplace when Wide Awake by Katy Perry went on.... 9:50 PM? And I just looked around with Banshee sitting their silently and kinda thought to myself of how lucky I am.

We then passed through International Street and Love Yourself by Justin Bieber was playing it kinda fit perfectly because the park was insanely quiet and an acoustical type song kinda fit into the atmosphere.

October 7th I remember mostly because I heard my first Senses Fail song, My Fear Of An Unlived Life at approximately 2:00 am EDT, while on the way home from Kings Island and that kinda really kickstarted my interest into that band and alternative rock.

Hollywood Nights playlist I associate with meeting KICers. April 16th,May 19th, August 11th, August 16th, August 18th

• Like 5

Michael Franti's "Say Hey (I Love You)" is another song I associate with KI. I found myself dancing down the Coney Mall midway while it played on May 31, 2016.

Also, on Closing Day 2016, One Direction's "Perfect" played as I stood in front of Vortex for the last time before heading off to ride Diamondback at the renewed passholder ERT. As I walked out of the park that night, The Script's "Superheroes" helped me start the offseason on a more confident note.

Back on topic, I have listened to these songs to help reminisce about KI when I can't be there, but not as much as Adele's "Send My Love" that I mentioned a few posts back. :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
41 minutes ago, Rivertown Rider said:

When you hear a pop song while grocery shopping and it reminds you of hearing it many times at KI this past summer. 

Yeah, I notice a lot of places share KI's playlist (specfically, I've heard KI songs at Bruggers). 

You know it's the offseason when your (my) focus is shifted from KI to Pokemon (but don't think I don't think about the park, though- I think fondly on Winterfest from time to time).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

Yeah, I notice a lot of places share KI's playlist (specfically, I've heard KI songs at Bruggers). 

You know it's the offseason when your (my) focus is shifted from KI to Pokemon (but don't think I don't think about the park, though- I think fondly on Winterfest from time to time).

I honestly think KI now just uses the standard Muzak channels, which is so disappointing and quite honestly, distracting. When I was a kid/teen, I distinctly remember very thematic music - not just the Paramount days either but even prior to that...The fountains on international street even seemed synced with the music, with the fountain height and colors varying as the music varied. 

I don't even think this would be a hard improvement for them to make...I've noticed the international street music is same/similar to the Paramount days, which is cool...but it's lost its gusto, so to speak, in terms of syncing with the fountain activity - so that could be fixed. The Peanuts franchise has some killer music, so that could be updated. Coney Mall needs more dated era-type music, etc. 

I think I could go on for days about this because I really miss how well it used to be done (or at least as well as my memory serves me). 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KImom said:

I don't even think this would be a hard improvement for them to make...I've noticed the international street music is same/similar to the Paramount days, which is cool...but it's lost its gusto, so to speak, in terms of syncing with the fountain activity - so that could be fixed. The Peanuts franchise has some killer music, so that could be updated. Coney Mall needs more dated era-type music, etc. 

I think I could go on for days about this because I really miss how well it used to be done (or at least as well as my memory serves me). 

I understand!  But be glad we got something other than pop music on IS!  Besides Mystic Timbers, that was the highlight of my KI summer last year!

• Like 5

I really enjoyed hearing "Rhapsody in Blue" last year on International Street. For one, I love that piece. It's incredibly beautiful. But also, it's better than hearing "Pompeii" by Bastille for the 999th time. 

I believe it's actually a music package, which companies can license to broadcast at their establishments, which is why you often hear the same "meh" songs at supermarkets, fast food joints, and amusement parks. The majority of which are songs I obviously don't like and try to tune out, but at the same time, I'm a film score fan, I really don't expect the park to want to pay to use the music I like. So, here's to "Pompeii" for 999 more times. :D 

• Like 2

I've been listening to "The Skater's Waltz" a lot lately. I had the privilege of hearing this very song as I skated my very first laps on Snowflake Lake back on December 18, and in my opinion it is absolutely perfect for International Street and of course the ice skating! I can't wait to hear it again next WinterFest!

Words only underestimate how amazing it is to skate on Snowflake Lake while hearing "The Skater's Waltz" play from all directions from the surrounding International Street... :wub:

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

When you're on the road and you passing a car and then a car passing you reminds you of the swaying motion of The Bat (1993) and then you start to miss said ride.

If the car I'm in is swaying like The Bat does going into the brake run, there's something wrong with the car :D.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

You know it's the off season when...You have a dream that you are at KI, but yet it is not KI.  You go to your #1 coaster, The Beast, except it is NOT The Beast.  It is a mirror image.  You figure out how to navigate the queue and see the trains have been replaced with Gerstlaur trains.  (*I'm not sure of the correct spelling and I don't think I have ever seen these trains.)  The train has to roll back before being sent out, about 30' as a result of the change over.  When you board the train, you can see the trains have been used before as you can see paint lines.  And finally, when you are  back in the forest, you round a corner and a long straight stretch, which is parallel to a freeway, which is I-95 and you realize you are not at Kings Island, but rather at Kings Dominion.  And you are going faster than the cars on the freeway.

• Like 1