You Know It's the Off Season When...

Ride On_17

45 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

No wrong answer here! : )

@ohiocolts and I started using the acronym LROTNOB 3 years ago and it spread like wildfire between friends and other enthusiasts. LROTNOB is essentially a noun to us now, more so than an acronym. It also has some traditions involved too. But LROTN can be used for the last ride of any attraction. As I’m typing this out I’m realizing the complexity of our ride specific vernacular, so I’ll save you the details and leave it at this.

• Like 5

^For that matter I have experienced LROTNOV (no surprise) a lot of times, and I have also enjoyed LROTNOWS, LROTNOMT, LROTNOZ, LROTNOET, LROTNOGC, and LROTNOBB!

FROTD (First Ride of the Day) should be a thing just as much as LROTN, if you ask me. I have had many FROTD experiences as well!

-BFF, who for that matter has also gotten the LROTSOV in 2015 and 2016, LROTSOWS this past year (2017), and one of the LROTSOBB during WinterFest. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

^For that matter I have experienced LROTNOV (no surprise) a lot of times, and I have also enjoyed LROTNOWS, LROTNOMT, LROTNOZ, LROTNOET, LROTNOGC, and LROTNOBB!

FROTD (First Ride of the Day) should be a thing just as much as LROTN, if you ask me. I have had many FROTD experiences as well!

-BFF, who for that matter has also gotten the LROTSOV in 2015 and 2016, LROTSOWS this past year (2017), and one of the LROTSOBB during WinterFest. :)

Soooo many acronyms.... how do you remember all of them? :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, silver2005 said:

I'm okay with ride and park names, but the stuff posted above is starting to get weird...

Anything above 4 letters that isn't a ride/park name is getting a wee bit obsessive. 

Obsessive or excessive? 

Side note, aren't we here because we are a bit obsessive?  Not in a bad way, but in a fun way.  I mean here we are talking about an amusement park and we still can't walk through the gates for 44 days. (See? I'm obsessed! lol)

I'm still relatively new to the community, having been here since last May.  I honestly just try to be cool and use the lingo.  I'm not good at it. Haha but at least I have fun!

• Like 6

9 hours ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Soooo many acronyms.... how do you remember all of them? :P

Its actually easy. We do not usually pronounce each letter in the acronym, rather we say the root of the acronym as a word and add whatever ride acronym were referring to.

For example:

• Last ride of the night on The Beast would be LROTNOB, pronounced "Luh-Rot-Nob" ('The' is ommitted because it would make the pronunciation difficult) 
  • First ride of the day on Flight of Fear would be FROTDOFOF, pronounced "Fer-Rot-Dawf-Off

Here, you need only to remember how to pronounce LROTNO- and FROTDO- to highlight what ride you want and when.

This mnemonic is varied when your referring to different types of attractions. The main one that comes to mind is Dinosaurs Alive!

• Last walk of the day through Dinosaurs Alive!, would be LWOTDODA, pronounced "Luh-Watt-Dode-Uh"

Take a guess at what LWETDA stood for? I know that a few friends from KIC were there with me for that one. 

I suppose its beneficial to elaborate that outside of, "LROTNOB" this naming device is not used religiously. It is merely a fun way of sharing a common understanding of what sounds like utter gibberish. Think of it along the lines of the personal appeal to learning a foreign language.

I can see that this post is veering off topic, so allow me to bring it back:

You know its off-season when you take the time to explain amusement park vernacular in hopes that it will be fused into vocabularies around the park during the upcoming season.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Did not realize there are so many acronyms!

You know it's the offseason when you miss Firehawk terribly and can't wait for Haunt to start again- 44 days!

Also, with this shorter offseason, the I really miss Kings Island feelings that would have happened in like, January or early February are happening now, but the great thing is, we've only got a month and a half left to wait!

Finally, as a side note- I love Firehawk like I love Millennium Force at Cedar Point- because they are both rides from the early 2000s'!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, aandjgoods said:

Take a guess at what LWETDA stood for? I know that a few friends from KIC were there with me for that one.

Last walk ever through Dinosaurs Alive?

jcgoble3, starting to catch on (but not likely to use these obnoxious acronyms anytime soon)

• Like 4

You know it's the Offseason when you dream about riding a roller coaster.

So, in the dream (actually, it was a dream within my dream, I think..). I was riding what I thought was New Texas Giant, but it was actually the old one (as it was all wood). I was in the front seat, but facing reverse (and it was the only seat like that, as far as I knew). It was a great ride  (and not rough at all like I braced myself for in the dream) up until some ghost guy appeared and started tickling me. I couldn't do anything as I was on the ride, but after I yelled something, it went away; right as we started to go back into the station. I was discussing my 100th coaster in the dream and this was it.

• Like 2

I got one from today:

You know it's the Offseason when you have a fantastic day of Pokemon Hunting and wish to top it off with a trip to Kings Island (because of the amazing weather and overall feeling great), but can't. 35 days...

In all seriousness, I really need to take a Saturday and do this once the season starts... Pokemon hunting in the morning, Kings Island from afternoon-close. B)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I too have been watching webcams all day, waiting to see a coaster run. I believe that the guy I work with is beginning to think I'm a bit unhinged, because I opened the webcams yesterday, and exclaimed "THERE'S MOVEMENT IN THE PARK!!" How I find this to be so exciting is beyond me. How I also find myself watching the Diamondback webcam, and having this warm fuzzy feeling seeing the pizza joint under The Vortex back there... Since my childhood that is my favorite place to grab a slice, right there under The Vortex. Last summer when I took my kiddos for the first time, when it came time to grab lunch, I pleaded with my wife that we eat a slice there, since that is a long lasting memory of mine, I want my kids to carry on that memory of sitting there having your pizza, watching The Vortex overhead. VortexBFForever and I may be long lost (with quite a few years between us) siblings. LOL

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lifetimecoaster said:

I too have been watching webcams all day, waiting to see a coaster run. I believe that the guy I work with is beginning to think I'm a bit unhinged, because I opened the webcams yesterday, and exclaimed "THERE'S MOVEMENT IN THE PARK!!" How I find this to be so exciting is beyond me. How I also find myself watching the Diamondback webcam, and having this warm fuzzy feeling seeing the pizza joint under The Vortex back there... Since my childhood that is my favorite place to grab a slice, right there under The Vortex. Last summer when I took my kiddos for the first time, when it came time to grab lunch, I pleaded with my wife that we eat a slice there, since that is a long lasting memory of mine, I want my kids to carry on that memory of sitting there having your pizza, watching The Vortex overhead. VortexBFForever and I may be long lost (with quite a few years between us) siblings. LOL

Are you talking about the La Rosa's back there? My kids flip out because there are always a ton of bees near there!!! I always want to eat there as well because it's such a cool spot but nope. 

• Like 2

KImom, that is the one. One of those goofy things I will always remember about my youth at Kings Island. I was always excited about the fact that it was right under Vortex, my parents were always excited by the fact that it was fairly well shaded back there, and mainly, it's right next to a bathroom! 

Also, nerding over here still watching the live cams, there is a fork lift dropping off cars for the Diamonback train by the station. Looks like they are starting to reassemble the trains!!! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lifetimecoaster said:

KImom, that is the one. One of those goofy things I will always remember about my youth at Kings Island. I was always excited about the fact that it was right under Vortex, my parents were always excited by the fact that it was fairly well shaded back there, and mainly, it's right next to a bathroom! 

Also, nerding over here still watching the live cams, there is a fork lift dropping off cars for the Diamonback train by the station. Looks like they are starting to reassemble the trains!!! 

You're so right on it being a great spot! If they can get rid of the bee situation, I would hang out there more often. There's beer super close at Potato Works. hah! There's another checkbox you can mark off for this location! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

If any of you see Vortex testing on the cam, let me know! :)

When it's 13 days until my Training Day! So close and yet so far. I cannot tell you how excited I am to reunite with my crew and my favorite two rides to work!

Vortex is currently running on the Diamonback webcam!! 

• Like 4