Kickstarter to have The Racer restored?

Oldschool75

I feel like a petition would be more appropriate considering that CF can most likely afford the repaint and renovation. The moment Cedar Fair and Kings Island becomes a semi-successful Youtube star with a need for a bigger budget for major projects THEN Kickstarter can be an option.

The Racer also needs More accommodating and comfortable trains, better brakes, better capacity, improved crowd control in the station, an improved computer system, and many more on top of of the paint. I feel that a renovation is on the way for the 50th or the next time a coney mall addition is in town.

• Like 6

For many reasons, I believe that The Racer should be left as it is for the foreseeable future.

Yes, minor off-season repairs are always done, but as far as a "restoration" goes......I don't really want to see The Racer take that direction because at that point....I'm afraid it will be turned into something it is not. For a wooden roller coaster, "restoration" is only a good thing sometimes, and other times not so much at all....

It's an interesting idea, but I would think you'll need:

1.) More financial support than what this board can provide by itself,

2.) A way for Kings Island to legally accept the money with terms of use it would feel safe accepting, and

3.) Clearance with the maintenance folks, as at least one other park in the country cites improved inspectability as the reason why it doesn't paint it's wooden coaster. Not saying that's why KI hasn't painted Racer, but it's a possibility.

Not meaning to rain on the parade, but it's stuff you'd have to consider. I'd absolutely love to see Racer in new red, white, and blue some opening day, but there may be reasons why it hasn't happened already. Given how much Cedar Fair has spent in the last 4 years on repainting rides, I don't know that lack of money is necessarily one reason.

I feel like a petition would be more appropriate considering that CF can most likely afford the repaint and renovation. The moment Cedar Fair and Kings Island becomes a semi-successful Youtube star with a need for a bigger budget for major projects THEN Kickstarter can be an option.

The Racer also needs More accommodating and comfortable trains, better brakes, better capacity, improved crowd control in the station, an improved computer system, and many more on top of of the paint. I feel that a renovation is on the way for the 50th or the next time a coney mall addition is in town.

Better Capacity? Racer's already one of, if not THE, highest capacity rides in the park thanks to the fact it is two-coasters-in-one. According to rcdb, Racer can handle 2,640 riders per hour. If that's not good enough capacity, then even Diamondback (Official Capacity: about 1600rph) needs more capacity.

Could Racer use a new paint job? Yes. Does it need to be super-overhauled? IMO, nope.

My Racer wish list would be paint along with putting the last drops back in with their head choppers.

They can't. X-Base entrance is in the way. :wacko: EDIT: Nevermind, I just compared some pictures and the X-Base entrance was NOT in the way of the final drop...why was it removed then? I dunno...

Better Capacity? Racer's already one of, if not THE, highest capacity rides in the park thanks to the fact it is two-coasters-in-one. According to rcdb, Racer can handle 2,640 riders per hour. If that's not good enough capacity, then even Diamondback (Official Capacity: about 1600rph) needs more capacity.

Could Racer use a new paint job? Yes. Does it need to be super-overhauled? IMO, nope.

My Racer wish list would be paint along with putting the last drops back in with their head choppers.

They can't. X-Base entrance is in the way. :wacko: EDIT: Nevermind, I just compared some pictures and the X-Base entrance was NOT in the way of the final drop...why was it removed then? I dunno...

2,640 is a theoretical capacity when the ride opened. The current Racer gets about 500 pph per side on a good day. If everyone in line was 48" or over, bone skinny, and understood the restraints and bins policy plus no handicapped people where in line then it would be about 800 pph per side. If you are in that particular station for a while then you understand that it takes an extremely long time to get one train to load and leave and the next train to arrive and unload. This can be changed if the restraints are more accommodating, the load/ unload process is streamlined, and the cycle time is reduced. Coming from a person who was on The Racer crew I saw problems like these every day that could be fixed easily.

• Like 7

no matter what amusement park it is, if there is a racing coaster that is 2 different tracks (different being mirrored like racer at ki, dueling, or like colossus at magic mountain) i always count it as 2 roller coasters whether others say its just 1 coaster. the only racing coaster i know that is one single track is kennywood's racer. is grand national at blackpool 2 tracks or 1 track?

• Like 2

2,640 is a theoretical capacity when the ride opened. The current Racer gets about 500 pph per side on a good day. If everyone in line was 48" or over, bone skinny, and understood the restraints and bins policy plus no handicapped people where in line then it would be about 800 pph per side. If you are in that particular station for a while then you understand that it takes an extremely long time to get one train to load and leave and the next train to arrive and unload. This can be changed if the restraints are more accommodating, the load/ unload process is streamlined, and the cycle time is reduced. Coming from a person who was on The Racer crew I saw problems like these every day that could be fixed easily.

Oh...thanks for filling me in on that. I wasn't fully aware of the loading/unloading issues, and was just thinking that the ride had higher capacity due to the fact it pulls about 1.2+ million riders per year and usually has a 20-minute or shorter wait when Diamondback and Beast are 60+ across the park. I have to wonder...does Beast have these same issues? Because both coasters use very similar train configurations...

Oh...thanks for filling me in on that. I wasn't fully aware of the loading/unloading issues, and was just thinking that the ride had higher capacity due to the fact it pulls about 1.2+ million riders per year and usually has a 20-minute or shorter wait when Diamondback and Beast are 60+ across the park. I have to wonder...does Beast have these same issues? Because both coasters use very similar train configurations...

Yes, But The Beast has three trains and the queue enters from the middle so those factors allow for the ride to have a better APPEARING capacity.

^
Thanks for filling me in. Sorry, I don't know as much about these PTC-train-using woodies as someone who's operated them...I've merely ridden them a few times and done research (my total count on Beast- the higher of the two, in fact the ride I've ridden the most- is 9). :P

• Like 1