Problems

I just noticed that when I posted and tried to quote someone the 'quote button' right under the 'like this' button did not work.... It sent me down to begin typing my message like it worked but did not quote at all... Did I do it wrong? I'm pretty sure I did this before and it worked.

Did you recently "upgrade" to Internet Exploder 11? IE 11 has a known bug that prevents the quote feature from working properly. The workaround is to use a real browser like Firefox or Chrome.

IE 12 will be the ticket you know!

• Like 2

Meh. I've been done with Internet Exploder since 2009.

There are no typos in this post. :P

I actually have to be totally honest, Internet Explorer definitely wins the award for "Most Improved" in the browser world. I use it regularly on my tablet since it's the only browser available for Windows with a remotely competent touch interface. It's honestly pretty tolerable.

Now, when using any other device, I go Chrome all the way. I used to be loyal to Firefox, but it's gotten really bloated and the UI changed too much, too quickly, and not for the better in my opinion.

I do have a machine still on IE6, but it doesn't get used for web browsing. Its one and only reason for existing is as a print server. It's our "family computer" and it's what the printer is hooked up to. Nobody directly uses it anymore, but when delegated for that one specific job, it works well. Also, Windows XP was installed on that computer within the first 6 months of its release. It's still running that same install of Windows. I can't get rid of it, it's like a trophy. I have a Windows installation that's over a decade old and still works pretty well. Do you know how rare that is?

• Like 1

I haven't used Internet Explorer (except for testing or on locked-down devices) since 2002.

I do have a machine still on IE6, but it doesn't get used for web browsing. Its one and only reason for existing is as a print server. It's our "family computer" and it's what the printer is hooked up to. Nobody directly uses it anymore, but when delegated for that one specific job, it works well. Also, Windows XP was installed on that computer within the first 6 months of its release. It's still running that same install of Windows. I can't get rid of it, it's like a trophy. I have a Windows installation that's over a decade old and still works pretty well. Do you know how rare that is?

I have a Windows installation on a VM image that's over a decade old. It was originally installed on hardware, becoming a VM when that computer was retired. It would probably work if I booted it now for some reason. Does that count? :)

That (likely Pentium 4) desktop from a decade ago is probably consuming about $80/year in electricity. Retiring it as a print server would likely pay for its replacement (and more).

If the USB printer attached to it is still functional and economical, even a consumer router could act as its print server. Most printers worth buying today have Ethernet and/or Wi-Fi built in.

• Like 2

^ It spends the majority of its time in sleep mode or off. It is exceptionally rare for us to need to print anything, so I just run upstairs and fire it up when it's needed. It boots fast because since it isn't really used, we have essentially no services running at boot other than the standard Windows stuff. My parents aren't tech-savvy, they like the equipment they have, and they know how to use it. I'm happy to leave the old hardware in operation if it means I don't have to provide free tech support.

I have my own server that runs 24/7, but it's a substantially more modern machine with significantly better power management than that dinosaur. But it's a headless Linux box with no GUI, so there's no way I'm going to try to move the printer to it. Plus, when I move out, that machine comes with me, so it would be silly to delegate it to a task only to have it be moved within a few months.

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestions:

*If MaxRequestsPerChild is 0 in the Apache2 configuration (in the prefork section), change it.

*In the same section, make sure MaxSpareServers and MaxClients are set to sane values

*Check the access logs. If some bot is overwhelming the server at times, kill it (via robots.txt) or rate-limit it (depends on the bot).

*Make sure that the server itself isn't regularly OOM

*Consider using a front-end cache (eg. nginx) if you're not already

*If you are using such a cache, check its memory usage and configuration. Specifically, make sure that dead clients are being timed out after a reasonable limit.

*If nothing else works, consider disabling keep-alive.

• Like 2

Until I signed in I got an increased nunber of ads from KIC and one being rather risky... "Hot Europeans "... As soon as I signed in they went away... My phone is free of any maleware or anything as well as I just scaned it with CM Security. But if that came from KIC and not something to do with my phone, not a good sign...

Note: This was while using the desktop version of the app. I haven't seen any strange ads or no pop ups on sites I normally visit.

Update: I also scanned my phome with Avast and had Security set to max (same with CM Security) and still no viruses or maleware etc. If this site is having these bad slow downs and now more "aggressive" ads that is not ever a good sign...

• Like 1

Something that has been a problem for me, for a while but forgot to mention is, when setting text color some or all of the text will revert to black when posting. (some should be orange, or should be red, and all should be purple). It can be changed back again by going to edit it though.

Using Chrome 64-bit the latest public version.

Note: Figures the text wouldn't change back to black this time....

• Like 1

• Dane locked this topic