Dollywood in December

Sup Folks,

got a few quick Dollywood questions....

Do they run the rides...regardless .....if the park is open? or is there a certain temperature etc? (I've read some forums and other tidbits, some say 40 degrees, etc)

Anyone ever encountered anything like this?

Planning a December weekend trip...but want to be able to ride Wild Eagle, etc

Second question,

Anyone stayed at any relatively cheap, but clean...hotels in Pigeon Forge?

Not really looking for a cabin...etc. Just a clean hotel.....around 45-65$ a night

As far as the rides and associated temperature - it generally has to be around 40 degrees for Dollywood to open the coasters. When it dips below 40 Thunderhead will usually stay open, but the steel coasters will generally cycle through what's left of the line and then shut down. I know several people have mentioned - myself included - that they've ridden Thunderhead while it's snowing. If you want night rides get them as close to sunset as possible, particularly if the temperature might be a factor.

If you happen to be going on a Saturday, you'll want to ride (and see any of the larger shows) as early in the day as possible. Dollywood opens at 11 on Saturdays and - assuming the rides are open - you'll be able to get on the rides in very short order the first three hours. Crowds really start picking up around 3 as people come in to see Dollywood lit up at night. Dollywood may be my favorite spot in the country in November and December after night falls because it's such a visual feast for the eyes.

If you're staying overnight on a Friday or Saturday book as early as you can. Rates are jacked way up on weekends and the earlier you can book the better, especially if you can find places with advance rates. Having said that...

I usually stay at one or two hotels, but neither is in Pigeon Forge. The hotel I use that typically fits within the budget parameters you specified is the Quality Inn on Winfield Dunn Parkway (the main strip) in Sevierville. The rooms and beds are clean, you get a lot of room for the money, and you get a decent breakfast spread to boot. It's about a 15 minute drive to the park from that location.

• Like 5

Yep. Dollywood for Smoky Mountain Christmas is simply amazing. Do NOT miss the shows. They are high quality productions. Some of the shows last about 45 minutes, and the lines will form early for the shows. Especially on the weekends as noted above. Also, don`t forget to ride the Dollywood Express railroad, featuring genuine coal fired steam engines. Unlike at Kings Island, the Dollywood Express departs at scheduled times, so be sure to check when the train departs.

A couple other tidbits. Be sure to check out the cinnamon bread from the Grist Mill. Dollywood does food amazingly well, and this warm treat on a cold December day is an amazing way to bring some warmth to your hands and your stomach.

Also, if you are planning on visiting Dollywood more than one day, you may want to get a season pass. It gets you into Dollywood the rest of this season, and all of next season (including next year`s Smoky Mountain Christmas), so that is a pretty good value if you plan on making more than one visit to the park. Especially if you plan to swing by next year to check out their new roller coaster, Firechaser Express, set to open in the spring.

• Like 8

A tidbit about shows: if you are interested in seeing them up close and/or with little wait, you might want to invest in the QBot. QBot is Dollywood's version of Fast Lane except it is integrated far better in my opinion. It allows not only for faster coaster lines but also for great reserved seating for shows.

• Like 5

I agree with everything everyone above has said. We've been going to DW for at least 5 years for Smoky Mountain Christmas. I'll reiterate: Do not miss the shows! 'Twas the Night Before Christmas and Christmas in the Smokies are excellent. A Christmas Carol is very well done, especially the effects for the ghosts.

The food is very good. Like CoastersRZ mentioned, the cinnamon bread is a highlight, Miss Lillian's, Aunt Granny's, Backstage Restaurant, Granny Ogle's Ham N Beans, Hickory House Barbecue, Lumberjack's Pizza, Red's Drive In and the big skillets are all excellent. I've never had a bad meal anywhere in the park, and there's just so many choices!

Every time we go to Pigeon Forge we stay at the Rodeway Inn, which is just about the last thing on the south end of the strip before you start the drive to Gatlinburg. It's not the fanciest but the rates are reasonable and it meets my requirement that it must be a clean place to rest my head (we don't spend much time in our room when we're on trips). You also get a free pancake breakfast each morning at the restaurant that's on property. http://www.rodewayinn.com/hotel-pigeon_forge-tennessee-TN445

Enjoy your trip, and let us know how it went!

• Like 5

Sup Folks,

got a few quick Dollywood questions....

Do they run the rides...regardless .....if the park is open? or is there a certain temperature etc? (I've read some forums and other tidbits, some say 40 degrees, etc)

Anyone ever encountered anything like this?

Planning a December weekend trip...but want to be able to ride Wild Eagle, etc

Second question,

Anyone stayed at any relatively cheap, but clean...hotels in Pigeon Forge?

Not really looking for a cabin...etc. Just a clean hotel.....around 45-65$ a night

I have not been this year, but for the last 2 years, that I have been to this, they have not closed any rides. I can say that I did freeze my knickers off, too!

If you can go during the summer, I suggest doing that. Wild Eagle runs better in warmer weather. Same with Thunderhead.

For hotels, try Expedia. Being that close to Christmas, I would say they will be pretty busy. You may have a little drive to and from the park.

Roadway Inn is nice.

The park is amazing this time of year. The food is awesome. Be sure to plan your meal times, Aunt Granny's can get quite a long line. However, it is worth it!

• Like 3

MMMM warm cinnamon bread. Will be there in January right at the end of Smokey Mountain Christmas and I cannot wait. Also Spending a long weekend at the Wilderness at the Smokies resort which looks great. Dollywood is the prime example of how to do a Christmas event. Amazing lights, shows and food, oh and by the way if I get to ride a great coaster that is just a bonus.

• Like 2

thanks for all the tidbits!

It looks like rain is in the forecast for later today and Saturday....so we will see what happens!

Predicting in the high 50's today with RAIN....

and tomorrow is looking like mid 40s with some RAIN.

I've been to Kings Island in the RAIN and alot of stuff stays running...so hopefully Dollywood stays the same.

will let ya'll know how it goes...thanks again!

• Like 3

Thanks for the tips!

for starters....the Cinnamon Bread was delicious!

As for the park...got a little lucky on the weather on Friday...it cleared up and the park was virtually empty. For anyone else who might attend this December...they didn't have any rides shut down...and we were @ borderline 40 degrees with some drizzle on Saturday. Everything was still cycling through....

cycled through every seat on Wild Eagle in the front rows....and did the back also. Great ride. Really enjoyed it. No seat is the same. These are the same harnesses that Banshee is supposedly using correct? They felt super comfortable to me...and it made the ride that much more enjoyable. I just felt sooo comfortable and secure that I could just concentrate and enjoy the ride. I really liked the onboard camera/video system. For 35$ you can get a video of you on the ride (Except the front rows) - Kind of a neat little souvenir.

Thunderhead will really get you out of your seat in the front row. Must have popped me out of my seat...10 times.

I was kind of 'meh' on Tennessee Tornado, I prefer Vortex. It might be the shoulder restraint that urrrks me. A- it doesnt have the seatbelt connecting the headrest (like Vortex) and B- it didnt even remotely make me feel secure. I had alot of room to move around..just made me feel uneasy.

Mystery Mine is really neat...and completely different than any other coaster...I've come across. The themeing is great...and the angles that the ride takes...create an exciting ride...

The christmas lights were fantastic! really reminded me of being at Disney's Hollywood Studios for the Osborne Lights...except they don't all 'dance' - But, the lights were worth the trip...by themself.

Anyways, It got my $$$$ and now I'm a season-pass holder. I plan on taking a few more visits in 2014...so it was worth the price of a pass....

Again, thanks for the tips!

• Like 10

I disagree with Tornado.

It is the best Arrow looper! It rides like a B&M. So smooth, and no awkward transitions.

Love climbing up the side of the mountain, then plunging through it.

Please tell me you ate at Aunt Granny's for dinner! That is a MUST when I visit!

Front right is my favorite on Wild Eagle. To my knowledge, Wild Eagle is the only coaster with a theme song!

• Like 6

I would love to go back to Dollywood. It's a beautiful park in the summer, I can imagine it's breathtaking at Christmas.

I really enjoyed Mystery Mines. I think that is my favorite coaster there. I've not rode Wild Eagle, but have heard it's an excellent ride. Do they have the eagle habitat still? I think that was a really neat attraction.

Sounds like you had a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Wild Eagle isnt a very forceful ride, but its very fun. Having nothing below or above you and swooping through the air feeling the wind in your face is really a great experience. Its probably the closest you can get to flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 3

Maverick had music I believe made for it...

That is Millie's theme song, it's the only song played in station, same as TTD, Twister, ect. To me if theres a dedicated song they put the ride with, that's it's theme song. Written for the ride or not. Same thing as True Blood's "Bad Things" song. It wasn't written for the show, but it is it's theme song.

Just enjoy the free pretty music.

• Like 1

I disagree with Tornado.

It is the best Arrow looper! It rides like a B&M. So smooth, and no awkward transitions.

Love climbing up the side of the mountain, then plunging through it.

Please tell me you ate at Aunt Granny's for dinner! That is a MUST when I visit!

Front right is my favorite on Wild Eagle. To my knowledge, Wild Eagle is the only coaster with a theme song!

Aunt Granny's and it's all you CAN EAT DINNER.....LOL!!

And....I could be wrong about Tornado....It might just be that the harness...wasnt very...appealing to me. It's neatly situated around the mountain though....

could use a paintjob :P

Back to Wild Eagle...the song was stuck in my head...by the end of the trip..."Wild Eagle, Wild Eagle...blah blah"

I somewhat agree that Wild Eagle isnt very 'forceful' but only in the front few seats. It whips you around in the back....and front right...is the best of the front seats...because it makes you think your legs are gonna get chopped off...4-5 times on the ride. LOL