RMC- Wooden Coaster or Not?

Nope and nope. The I-box track is fully steel. The topper track may be partly wood, but the part that actually guides the train is still steel. Traditional wooden coasters have steel laminating the top and sides of the track, but that's more to preserve the wood than provide actual structure for the track. Coasters whose layouts are fully topper tracked are no more wooden coasters than any Arrow Mine Train with separated steel rails mounted on wooden ledgers.

I've read that some classic Six Flags wooden coasters (namely American Eagle and Colossus) have the wood track for their lift hills mounted on steel I-beams. If the whole layout were like that, would we consider them steel coasters? That seems no different an argument to me than the one that says topper track makes wooden coasters.

• Like 4

The only reason I see this as a slight issue is because of marketing. SFGAmerica is claiming Goliath as the world’s fastest wooden coaster with the tallest and steepest drop, and marketing these new records hard. It doesn't seem fair that the current record holders should lose that title to a non-wooden coaster.

• Like 3

The only reason I see this as a slight issue is because of marketing. SFGAmerica is claiming Goliath as the world’s fastest wooden coaster with the tallest and steepest drop, and marketing these new records hard. It doesn't seem fair that the current record holders should lose that title to a non-wooden coaster.

Hmm...I was thinking a random thought, and looked it up: What if you went uber-hardcore and ONLY counted old-fashioned, traditional wooden coasters? Even not counting the Intamin Prefabs...then what coaster holds the title of tallest & fastest woodie? Well...I looked it up. Voyage @ Holiday World would hold both titles, at 163 feet tall and 67.4mph. Son of Beast and Rattler were both higher (and SOB faster) but SOB is gone and Rattler's a steel coaster now. However, the "record" for height will be broken in 2015- GCI's new coaster Viper @ Wanda Valley will be 1.1 feet higher than Voyage, though it only goes 62mph, so Voyage would remain champion for pure speed. As for biggest drop? Mean Streak @ Cedar Point, with a 155-foot plunge (if you discredit Voyage for having steel supports, it would also be the tallest one left). And track length...well, this is a KI fansite, do I even need to say it (and in this category, and "old fashioned" woodie beats all anyway)... :P

Just a random thought I felt like posting...

• Like 4

Topper track is also used on older coasters and COULD be used with traditional rolling stock.

To me, urethane wheels make what would otherwise be a wood coaster not.

Had Son of Beast been delivered with the urethane wheels it was originally designed with, I would have contended it, too, would have been a steel coaster.

In the tradition of What's My Line, as to can a wood coaster have topper track, my precise answer would be sometimes. Some are. Some aren't. Since that wasn't an option, and some can be, I selected the yes answer.

• Like 1