Amateur footage of Coney

jandyb79

I stumbled upon these while searching for another piece of footage. It is truly amazing to see new footage like this pop up on the net that would otherwise be buried away in someones closet or attic. Enjoy ;)

This video appears to be the grand opening of the Turnpike. I spy Emmitt Kelly, Sr. @:54:

[\youtube]

Home video of Sunlight Pool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URVXxGlR_es[\youtube]

37' flood effects @5:00 mark:

[\youtube]
  • Like 7

Although not related directly to the topic of vintage Coney Island videos, here is another that caught my eye of a guy in Middletown that restored a Turnpike vehicle from Fantasy Farm to the tune of the Rocky IV soundtrack. I'm glad there are people around that do this kind of thing. Pretty snazzy workmanship ;)

[\youtube]
  • Like 4

It's not the film speed. From bumper cars to Whips, Scramblers, Ferris Wheels to turnpike cars, and yes even coasters, most rides ran full tilt, brakeless and unfettered in days of old.

It was a simpler time, less litigious, and rides were considered dangerous but fun--the rider was expected to share responsibility for safety, not doing dumb things like trying to stand up, get out, etc.

• Like 6