TOP GUN

DA RIPPER

Aight.

First. top gun has always been frickin enclosed. no harm though, its a common thought that it wasnt...why i dont know, but it is.

Top Gun is by far not a dieing coaster. It is continualy one of the most ridden rides.

The lower deck that is now not open was deisgned by the same person that designed the sets for top gun the movie. The whole idea was that you were inside the aircraft carrier...and when you walked up the stairs into the station you were on the flight deck...the backdrop at the time was different...and was a view of the flight deck in front of you...leading out into the ocean i do believe. The lower deck had a a display of missles that were launched...had a view from the inside of the air traffic control tower. It had a radar screen, that was supposed to be showing what the spinning radar (yes it spinned) was picking up that was in the que line right before you started going down stairs to under the station. It was raining outside....and the window in the traffic control tower had a picture behind it with a backdrop making it look like it really was a window to the flight deck, and it had real water dripping down it, with a windsheild wiper that would clear the rain every few seconds. There was a person staffed down there, who would check hieght. There is also just a lot of pipes going all over the place and big huge tanks that they connect too, trying to simulate the underneath of an aircraft carrier. There was also another display of the controls from the aircrat carrier...and had a designs on a table as to where the current jets were sitting on the deck. Needless to say it was cool.

More trains for top gun that would be floorless would be extremley expensive, much more than 30,000 for PTC trains there genius boy BoddaH1994. Trust me more trains in general would cost more than that.

And dammit leave my top gun alone...it aint going anywhere its not a dead ride. It is very loved by the guests and me. biggrin.gif

And dammit leave my top gun alone...it aint going anywhere its not a dead ride.  It is very loved by the guests and me.  biggrin.gif

Bravo. Now if only they could get the paint scheme right, and not that stupid primer silver color, the red was much better!

Remember a suspended coaster was already planned for the 1993 season, before the Paramount take over. That was the reason Top Gun was red. Paramount painted Top Gun for the 1999 season to match the other Top Gun coasters. The other Top Gun coasters are silver/grey, or black and grey. I'm not sure what the orginal name for sure of the coaster was going to be, but I believe something along the lines of "Swooh" or something to that effect. Anyone know more about that?

Remember a suspended coaster was already planned for the 1993 season, before the Paramount take over. That was the reason Top Gun was red. Paramount painted Top Gun for the 1999 season to match the other Top Gun coasters. The other Top Gun coasters are silver/grey, or black and grey. I'm not sure what the orginal name for sure of the coaster was going to be, but I believe something along the lines of "Swooh" or something to that effect. Anyone know more about that?

I know enough to know that you're defintiley positively wrong. But im not going to elaborate for obvious reasons. Let's just say God told me.

I know enough to know that you're defintiley positively wrong. But im not going to elaborate for obvious reasons. Let's just say God told me.

No i'm being serious. Think about it, The Paramount take over happened in August of 1992. It takes longer then a few month's to plan a rollercoaster. The KECO company was planning on buliding a new suspended coaster in 1993. When Paramount took over they just added the theaming. Trust me on this one.

So The Racer has always been at Kings Island?

Steve

Yes, The Racer has definitely always been at PKI. It was designed by John Allen of the PTC, who designed the Shooting Star as well.

<<More trains for top gun that would be floorless would be extremley expensive, much more than 30,000 for PTC trains there genius boy BoddaH1994. Trust me more trains in general would cost more than that.>>

30 grand sounded extremely low to me as well, but like I said, that's what I had heard... Heck, it might have been the cost of a PTC train in 1950 or something. Since we're on the subject of PTC, does anyone want to take a guess as to how much their merry go round horses go for?

Edited by BoddaH1994

Nah Drew. He's right and your wrong...Top Gun was indeed going to be called "Swoops: The Ride"...Or something along those lines.

Nonono, i agree with that. I was saying he's wrong about why they painted it grey. My bad, my bad. But they did not paint it grey to match the other paramount parks, YOU trust me on that adderborty. And yes, God himself told me.

Nah Drew. He's right and your wrong...Top Gun was indeed going to be called "Swoops: The Ride"...Or something along those lines.

Nonono, i agree with that. I was saying he's wrong about why they painted it grey. My bad, my bad. But they did not paint it grey to match the other paramount parks, YOU trust me on that adderborty. And yes, God himself told me.

Well maybe your right about that one. I was just guessing, since the other Gun's are pretty close to the same color. So I could be wrong.

Not really. Shaggy told the tale awhile back.

The GM at the time ordered the ride to be painted for 1999 and the "new" Action Zone. At the time PP&E was incharge of that stuff. The decided on grey and not the nice silver like the other Top Guns.

The manager came down one day and said "nice primer when is the new color going on"

The painters looked at him and said "that is the color"

Its been almost a year so if I am off sue me.

• Like 1

Not really. Shaggy told the tale awhile back.

The GM at the time ordered the ride to be painted for 1999 and the "new" Action Zone. At the time PP&E was incharge of that stuff. The decided on grey and not the nice silver like the other Top Guns.

The manager came down one day and said "nice primer when is the new color going on"

The painters looked at him and said "that is the color"

Its been almost a year so if I am off sue me.

Not really? I think its darn funny

You're crazy. tongue.gif

Most suspended coasters are red and grey and I'd much rather Top Gun have its old color scheme than the new grey on grey. Its just too boring, and considering the themeing has gone completely down the drain ( Thank you Paramount ) there's no point in keeping the current color scheme. Unless they plan on removing Top Gun, it would be nice if it would get a new and unsual paint job.

Edited by CoasterKrazy

Its just too boring, and considering the themeing has gone completely down the drain ( Thank you Paramount ) there's no point in keeping the current color scheme.

Yeah, Paramount's not too keen on keeping up their theming. I pray for Tomb Raider, may Lara Croft always have styrofoam walls and bubbling lava.

• Like 1

You cant expect styrofoam to hold together forever. It is a very breakable substance.

The real thing that needs to be replaced in some spots is the rock facade. And put in real flames. That would be awesome.

Ok ok bad idea. I know. Tom quit thinking.

Actually, it seems to me the styrofoam is holding together alright, but the aging process they applied to it seems to be falling off in spots. It doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to re-apply it, but I doubt we'd see anything like that for a couple of season's ateast. Probably best to just focus on getting the ride and it's effects to actually work at this point.

And put in real flames. That would be awesome.

That would be great, or they could use technifex faux fire. Just imagine, the grand finale of the ride, the entire base of the goddess is set ablaze.

Actually, in retrospect, I like the whole spinning flood lights thing, simple, yet it's neat. They seriously need to fix the goddess' eyes though.

Edited by RyanA