Documentary concerning Seaworld ("Blackfish")

That's my grouse with this whole circus- with PETA involved, if they get their way with this one small step, it's onto the next goal of letting cockroaches run rampent in our homes.

PETA has a reputation of not having its' collective head on straight.

I fear a No Kill shelter for the whales if they are freed, for then we'll find all of the orcas in back alley dumpsters.

I wish Shamu cam was up and running, but from what I've been told, acrivists made a mockery of it with screencaps and anthropomorphic interpretations of the whales' behaviour. A shame, really.

PETA sues San Diego airport for rejecting anti-SeaWorld ad

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/mar/11/seaworld-peta-san-diego-airport-ad-kathy-najimy/

A private business saying 'No, I don't agree with what you're saying and I won't allow you to post it here' is not a violation of freedom of speech.

I wish Shamu cam was up and running, but from what I've been told, acrivists made a mockery of it with screencaps and anthropomorphic interpretations of the whales' behaviour. A shame, really.

Yeah, I posted about the Shamu Cam a few pages back. The cam has been gone for quite a few years now, well before the announcement of Blackfish even.

• Like 2

It's a hideous, bland poster, that only hits at one park, the zoo is safe. If they move the orcas to the zoo, would that change things for them?

In the news, frat boys broke into Seaworld in Texas, which proved a smart move for Daniel Dukes.

Think that's something^ I was just reading a post released by Loro Parque in Spain (they have 6 SeaWorld owned orcas, one being the rescue named Morgan from a couple years back) They been having issues with Ingrid Visser (the one from New Zealand I mentioned before) and her "Free Morgan Foundation" cronies attempting to break in at the park after being booted out after being deemed a nuisance to patrons that are trying to enjoy themselves. There are farmers living around LP and they were not pleased those folks were snooping around, hiding in vegetation trying to get their photographic evidence. It's just baffling though, these same people tell people not to go to parks yet they got no problem paying park admission to go in. (or in some cases breaking entry into one)

Ingrid certainly been a handful. She has been booted from SeaWorld Orlando before, and this isn't the first she been a problem at LP. I just picture her and her cronies wearing ghillie suits carrying their photo equipment while snooping around outside park property.

• Like 1

According to this

http://www.aecom.com/deployedfiles/Internet/Capabilities/Economics/_documents/2012%20Theme%20Index%20Combined_1-1_online.pdf

The whole Sea World Chain had about 25 Million people in 2012... So broken down by park that would be about, maybe, 2 million people on average.... 2 million people at a rate of 20 people per boat... That would be 100 thousand boats per year....

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, and that's if the boats had 20 people per, but we all know that some special snowflakes in the world would need their own party boat, because the whales love them more,well,....simply because.

I don't even want to attempt to digitally manipulate a photograph depicting a day in Puget Sound with those figures.

edit: trademark violation

Photoshop is a registered trademark of a company that insists on its proper use. As such, it is always capitalized, and, preferably, not used as a verb.

Thanks to these posts, I always use it as an opportunity to read about the trademark in question. So according to Merriam-Webster, maker of dictionaries,

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/photoshop

"photoshop" is a transitive verb (purposely lower cased)

While Adobe has other things to say:

http://www.adobe.com/legal/permissions/trademarks.html

"Photoshop" is to not be used as a common verb or even as a noun. It is an adjective to describe a generic term such as software.

Protecting trademarks. However, I feel that companies such as Adobe or Google will eventually lose these trademarks due to the ever changing common vernacular. Heck rules of language are changing every day as well...

• Like 1

While we're at it, SeaWorld Orlando (spell it right kids... capital "S", capital "W".... capital "O"... - there's no emoticon for an eye-roll.) begins their 50th anniversary celebration today!

http://seaworld.com/celebration/?utm_source=Silverpop&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=00389753%20SWO.50thGrandOpening.Mar2014%20(1)&utm_content=DIGITAL&spMailingID=6264278&spUserID=MzM2Mzc5ODE0NzQS1&spJobID=402084190&spReportId=NDAyMDg0MTkwS0

• Like 2

there's no emoticon for an eye-roll.)

Yes there is.

:rolleyes:

That's not the kind of eye-roll I'm thinking of- the one you posted is too happy. This particular image I'm thinking is a cross between a run-of-the-mill eye-roll, face palm, and a sigh...

That's why God made Patrick Stewart.

And with the 50th Anniversary Celebration, of course- there are contests.

Wish Stinky and I luck! I already have a petsitter lined up, just in case.

• Like 1

According to the Russian Orcas website, Ocean Kingdom in China now got two of the captured Russian orcas but are not on public display. From the pictures that been shared with me the facilities "look nice", however I not read much good things about the company that owns the park (they own other parks and a zoo), apparently low standards in animal welfare. I do notice they got Frenchman Julien Forestier as manager of animal training (originally from Loro Parque and worked with the killer whales there) though.

Not the orca tank but this is the show pool for the belugas there

http://www.ty360.com/2014/3/image/2014031861639593.jpg

http://image226-c.poco.cn/mypoco/myphoto/20140210/20/642707552014021020433205_640.jpg

They also have roughly around 40 dolphins that were captured off Salomon Islands

not sure about this place -,-

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.cbs8.com/story/25279393/orca-sound-discovery-made-at-seaworld-san-diego

This is of interest to me, that orcas can learn new dialects.

Yes they can. Probably the most interesting ones to watch were Kalina (deceased) and Orkid (who is still alive). Kalina was born in Orlando but she traveled from there to Ohio, to Cali and to Texas before returning home. Her Orlando pod calls were adopted by some of the San Diego residents so it's funny to watch Orkid making Kalina's eee-ee-eeeeeee calls xp Takara is San Diego born, but she is in Texas (she lived in Orlando too) and she'll make calls (vocals) that are unique at each park as well but interestingly enough her San Diego calls tend to mostly emerge only when she has a new calf so each of her babies got grandma's calls engraved in their heads. :P

Then you have the orcas that "speak" bottlenose dolphin or pacific white sided dolphin...

• Like 1

Gazing over event photos, especially the Viva La Musica Festival, it looks like Seaworld goes all out for special events, with special menus, costumes for their mascots, special participations, etc.. For a week long festival, that's a lot of planning and work.

How many festival/special events do they have a year?

• Like 1