New Ride Coming to Coney in 2014

CoastersRZ

A year round dark ride with new technology, a chute the chutes on the lake, similar to lake Winnie in chattanooga,,,,,Maybe Coney will get a nice small wooden coaster!

We just have to be thankful they continue to put money in the Park, the park that was set to close in 71' never to reopen, New Coney already 40 plus years young!

• Like 5

But to be fair, the Zoom Flume stood at Coney from 1977 through the 2008 season. Its support structure was very reminiscent of a wooden roller coaster. Not saying it can`t be done. Its just the attractions that Coney has added of late, seem a little lacking on the attention grabbing factor.

In other news, I have heard that the park is sprucing up quite a bit of the landscaping this year too.

• Like 4

Let's not forget that Shooting Star and Wildcat were at Coney of Ohio for many, many years. Still, the labor required to recover from devastating floods was substantially less expensive in days of yore. And the reinspection requirements after flooding are more extensive nowadays. Not to mention permitting requirements for structures in floodplains.

• Like 1

Yes, that is certainly true. I still think that the cost of a Gravity Group coaster (along with the necessary inspections and flood proofing requirements) would be more than paid off with the influx of visitors. Not just walk up admissions, but with season pass sales and group sales. It would give people a reason to go to Coney other than just for the big pool. Because right now, that is the big draw at Coney. The rides are just part of the "package" and not the attraction that draws most people to the park. Yes, there are some people that come to Coney just for the rides. But those are typically people wanting a cheap day/afternoon worth of entertainment. A regular all day rides pass costs just $11.95 at Coney. Which is a bargain compared to places like Kings Island, that charge close to $35-40 per person, if you buy online.

• Like 4

Sadly, Trabants are quickly becoming one of those "ride it while you can rides" that seem to be disappearing left and right, I know of one that was high quality at a small Panama City beach amusement park that was left to rot if not destroyed with the rest of the park. Sure there are a few traveling Wipeout models, but those seem to be slower at least at my fair and it does not appear every year, thankfully last year they brought their Trabant instead of Wipeout and it had a long pretty fast cycle. I can only hope these will be reinvented or be around in the future, it's always a shame when a great ride disappears.

• Like 5

I have never been on a Power Surge. I imagine that the ride experience will be pretty intense on this new ride.

One problem with Trabant is that the restraints can be difficult for guests, and even operators to release and lock. I witnessed a few results of what happens when people slam the restraints down on their fingers.

• Like 5

^ that's part of the fun with Trabants! You slam them, they crush you.( your fingers) Who doesn't like that!? Lol***

And on the power surge, they have one at the Kentucky State Fair and it does not run at full tilt. For some reason my seat didn't flip a lot it just kept swinging to put my weight towards the ground but at full tilt I would imagine a different experience.

***please note that everything previous is sarcasm.

As to restraints, see also the Bees, once at Kentucky Kingdom, and removed...largely for that reason.

Few US flat rides run full tilt in parks anymore.

The manufacturers demonstrate them that way at IAAPA, and the parks run them in a more conservative manner, as a rule.

If that's the case with Coney's Super Round Up, I can definitely see why. That thing is plenty intense in its current form. I can't imagine it going any faster.

• Like 2

I'm trying to imagine what a Kings Island version of that ride would be like.

A Giant version would be ordered, and it would be removed before even reaching its 10th anniversary.

I hate to bring back an old post, but you've got it all wrong. That's the Paramount's Kings Island version.

Under Cedar Fair, they would buy six prototype versions only to relocate one a few years later.

• Like 2

I think if Kings Island ever added one of these outside of DA it would have to be small upcharge for capacity reasons.

What would you think of them using some of the area around DA that isn't being used currently for a ride like this? Add it into the ticket cost of the exhibit. It would make the area have a longer lasting memory to those who go, and make people want to stay in the area longer if they have a chance to ride a ride while there too.

Maybe i'm overthinking it.