Flashback Till February 2014

TOPGUN1993

^ You are very confused.The Beast was the greatest roller coaster ever built in it's hay day. Anyone with a real passion for coasters can't help but smile sitting in that final break run imagining the historical significance of the ride that they just experienced. It's a shame that many guests visiting the park are unaware of the amazing technical achievement the construction of The Beast really was. If you don't love a ride built and designed by Kings Island itself, how can you call yourself an enthusiast?

That's all I'll say about that.

• Like 17

^ You are very confused.The Beast was the greatest roller coaster ever built in it's hay day. Anyone with a real passion for coasters can't help but smile sitting in that final break run imagining the historical significance of the ride that they just experienced. It's a shame that many guests visiting the park are unaware of the amazing technical achievement the construction of The Beast really was. If you don't love a ride built and designed by Kings Island itself, how can you call yourself an enthusiast?

I can respect the fact that the ride was a record breaking piece of technology in 1979 and that it helped build and shape the park into what it is today. However, that doesn't mean I have to think it's a good ride. I can list several other roller coasters from the 1970s I'd rather ride - Colossus, Loch Ness Monster, Racer, Thunder Road, even Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Beast is giant stretch after giant stretch of boring track. Its setting is nice, sure, but that doesn't save it from being a mediocre ride.

• Like 3

I didn't want to be the first one to bring it up but yes it does have some boring spots to it.Lift hill & drop, great, first turn and ravine drop, great. After that it's boring until the helix. It's designed and achieved a great number of feats, but is it in my top 10, no. I ride it mainly for the beginning and end, for the nostalgia, and the memories.

Not all rides are about thrills, and many of you know that's true. If it was always about thrills, none of you would have set foot on Flying Ace during our meetup day.

• Like 5

I can respect the fact that the ride was a record breaking piece of technology in 1979 and that it helped build and shape the park into what it is today. However, that doesn't mean I have to think it's a good ride. I can list several other roller coasters from the 1970s I'd rather ride - Colossus, Loch Ness Monster, Racer, Thunder Road, even Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Beast is giant stretch after giant stretch of boring track. Its setting is nice, sure, but that doesn't save it from being a mediocre ride.

Yes, BTMR has its roots in the 70s, but with its recent revamp, it no longer sports anything from the 70s save for the maybe the mountain itself. The track is all new, as is the ride system and que line. It e-stopped quite a bit before its revamp, due to the very narrow blocks featured on the ride.

I didn't want to be the first one to bring it up but yes it does have some boring spots to it.Lift hill & drop, great, first turn and ravine drop, great. After that it's boring until the helix. It's designed and achieved a great number of feats, but is it in my top 10, no. I ride it mainly for the beginning and end, for the nostalgia, and the memories.

Not all rides are about thrills, and many of you know that's true. If it was always about thrills, none of you would have set foot on Flying Ace during our meetup day.

A. You don't have kids...yet.

B. You apparently don't know Terp very well (he was thrilled riding Flying Ace).

• Like 10

I also think The Beast has some dull moments. I wish i had the chance to ride its debut version with the buzz bars, and no seat dividers. If only the second drop after the first tunnel and lift hill wasn't trimmed, I'm sure it'd give a really nice pop of airtime as you drop into the ravine.

Kings Dominion is bringing back the clown band for this season. Once can hope that Kings Island eventually follows suit. The energy they brought to the park was electric, as they roamed the midways with their zany antics. I have found memories of the Clown band from when I was a younger.

• Like 9

Kings Dominion is bringing back the clown band for this season. Once can hope that Kings Island eventually follows suit. The energy they brought to the park was electric, as they roamed the midways with their zany antics. I have found memories of the Clown band from when I was a younger.

You have found memories? What an interesting thought that is. I wish I could say I have fond memories of finding memories, but I can not. Would you mind sharing how you "found" these memories?

• Like 12

Kings Island made an attempt to bring back the clown band for the 2009 season. I auditioned and was set to play percussion, but they had trouble filling spots in the ensemble. Entertainment management actually asked me to inform students, where I taught private lessons at the time, to come in and audition. But it's quite a challenge to revamp something like this on short notice. Another attempt was made for Halloween Haunt in 2011. I pitched the concept of a creepy haunted clown band and they had already began working on a concept for a Louisiana cajun style funeral band. That too was a no go :( I do hope they one day bring back the clown band as I felt it was a staple for the park!

• Like 11

Kings Island made an attempt to bring back the clown band for the 2009 season. I auditioned and was set to play percussion, but they had trouble filling spots in the ensemble. Entertainment management actually asked me to inform students, where I taught private lessons at the time, to come in and audition. But it's quite a challenge to revamp something like this on short notice. Another attempt was made for Halloween Haunt in 2011. I pitched the concept of a creepy haunted clown band and they had already began working on a concept for a Louisiana cajun style funeral band. That too was a no go :( I do hope they one day bring back the clown band as I felt it was a staple for the park!

A Dixieland Funeral for the Haunt! With a carried casket! That would have been sooooo boss.

• Like 6

Its too bad that they couldn`t find the talent to fill out the clown band or the other band that you spoke of. I think they would really add to the experience of the park and the "best day of the summer" philosophy that Matt Ouimet is big on. Hopefully they can get something like this in place this year or in future seasons.

• Like 10

Most Klown Bands were from Xavier University, from what I recall. All of those in the photo are from Xavier. I believe the students would form a band and audition as such.

The members themselves had such fun with the job. I believe the same Klown band performed for the four years they went to college.

Can you recognize the singing, dancing manager from the Burger King commercials?

The Klown Band really added atmosphere to International Street,

• Like 5