Boo Blasters on Boo Hill (BBOBH)

LetsRide

Many have mentioned Boo Blasters on Boo Hill (BBOBH) on various threads on KIC. However, as far as I have seen, most of the times it has been mentioned, Phantom Theater (PT) has also been mentioned. With both of these attractions being mentioned simultaneously, most people seem to rant about how much better PT was than BBOBH. To be honest, I was scared to death of PT. I always closed my eyes whenever I rode it. Would I always keep me eyes closed if it would have always been BBOBH instead of PT? I honestly do not know. I don't find BBOBH very frightening today. However, odds are, I probably wouldn't find PT very frightening today either.

Allow me to ask a few questions:

1) For those of you who believe PT was actually better, how old were you when PT was still operating, and how old are you now? Do you think age plays a factor whatsoever in your perspective? Personally, seeing as BBOBH is between Rivertown and Planet Snoopy (although most would probably say it's just in Planet Snoopy), I think BBOBH is actually better for kids than PT was. After all, BBOBH is more of a game with maybe SOME startling things along the way. It's more of a competition than it is a "let's ride this ride which never varies or changes and hope that it somehow manages to scare me or entertain me this time, even though it has never has scared me or entertained me before". With BBOBH, instead of asking to be scared, you are seeking fun. You are seeking competition. You are seeking gaming. Because you are competing against your friends, family, etc., the experience does change ever so slightly depending on the group you go with.

2) Not that our say has much of anything to do with the future of BBOBH, but does anybody actually have any possible solutions for this ride other than "Turn it back to PT", which is almost definitely not going to happen?

3) If KI fixed the theming in BBOBH that existed when it first opened, would you like it more? I recall strobes, artificial fog, and a monster projection into the fog (which was pretty awesome if I may say so myself) which each car drove into toward the end of the ride. I'm pretty sure most of those things, if not all of those things, are now dead/gone. Would you like it more if those things returned/were fixed and maintained regularly?

4) What do you think about Canada's Wonderland's new ride for 2014, Wonder Mountain's Guardian? Do you think KI has any chance of getting something similar to that to either replace BBOBH in that same building or in a different location? I know the Crypt/Tomb Raider is being used in the Fall of Cavern of Terror, but that haunted house could easily be moved to a different location. What are the odds of opening such a ride in that building? How about just building an entirely new building?

5) After seeing all the magic Universal is doing in Orlando and in Universal City/L.A., do you think it would be possible for KI to ever see anything that even comes close to Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey or to the soon-to-be Gringott's Vault? I know both of these projects literally cost hundreds of millions of dollars when including all of the additional attractions, shops, etc., and I know hundreds of millions of dollars are in no Cedar Fair park's budget. However, dumbing down the awesomeness just a little to simply make it more affordable, do you think KI could ever see such a thing being built?

I apologize if a similar thread has already been made. I read around a bit, and wasn't able to find anything too similar. I'm excited to hear your input!

• Like 3

I mostly missed out on PT. Sometime when I was young, it was converted into the Smurf Enchanted voyage, by the time it was PT, I had outgrown Planet Snoopy (though I'm pretty sure I rode it a couple of times, mainly for the airconditioning), now that I have young kids of my own, its Boo Blasters.

I can't honestly compare PT to Boo Blasters, so I won't even attempt, but I do know that my 5 year old loves Boo Blasters, has loved it since he was 3 and even though he grew tall enough to ride The Beast, Vortex, Drop Tower, etc... last season, he still rides Boo Blasters as often as he rides The Beast. My original fear was that it would scare him, but that has never been an issue, nor was it an issue when our 1.5 year old daughter rode it for the first (and so far, only) time late last season. I see many young kids in line, I've waited outside the building many times w/ my daughter while my wife and son rode and never I have I seen a kid come off that ride crying because they were scared.

Things I would do to fix up the ride:

Calibrate each and every gun and make sure they all work. When you enter the ride, seems like the blaster furtherst away from the Que works the best while the one closest to the que doesnt work as well. Are the guns broke, or are they miss aimed? Having some sort of laser pointer that would indicate when on the target you are aiming would be nice, don't know if that is a safey issue w/ people pointing them as people's eyes.

I have no proof of this, or if my eyes were just decieving me, but it seems like they spruced things up a bit around halloween last season. Maitanence on the props is probalby minimal, but they do need some sprucing up from time to time.

I'd add more props to the game, even if they are not targetable. Perhaps some "inside humor" making fun of Don or other long time KI or CF employees.

I can't see anything on the scale of what Disney or Univeral has done, I'd imagine the payoff just doesn't work out for a seasonal park that is mostly filled w/ regional guests that visit the park multiple times a year. I think I read the Wonderland project came in under $10 mil? That's a nice price point for Cedar Fair's parks.

Speaking of Wonderland, if that project is a success, and I suspect that it will be, I absolutely expect something like that to move into that building. Don't forget, there is a lot of room in that building that goes mostly "unused" outside of storage and a haunt during the fall, so there is room to make something even longer than Boo Blaster's currently is should they have the desire. Since the indication from Wonderland's project was that their ride would be able to run several different programs, could be altered at minimal costs, etc... I suspect that there is the possibility that they could run something more "kid friendly" during the day and switch it over to more adult oriented or scarier at night during the Haunt (when Planet Snoopy is closed down)

• Like 5

1. I was around 12 or so when the Phantom Theater opened and was around 22 or so when they took it out. During that time period though, I loved that ride! I used to ride it every time I was at the park. My friends and I would make it a "must do" ride every time we were there. We'd catch it on the way in, then hit it up again on the way out. As I've mentioned many timed before on here, I'm sort of obsessed with animatronics so I think that was one main draw for me.

2. I think there are some solutions for Boo Blasters in order to make it a little better. First, and probably the most important, give the audience a reason to be there. There needs to be a story and a mission. What I really like about the Buzz Lightyear ride at the Magic Kingdom is that you have Buzz Lightyear in the queue line explaining your mission, giving you backstory, etc. You know that you're going to defeat Emperor Zurg. In Boo Blasters, they need some kind of character in the main entry way where the Maestro used to sit. This character could be any one or any thing. They would explain the history of Boo Hill and why you need to (or want to) defeat Boocifer. I feel this would give the audience something to relate to. For me, I just get bored standing in the queue line. However, I was never bored in the Phantom Theater. Watching Maestro play and hearing him talk kept me entertained the whole time.

3. Yes. If Boo Blasters is going to be as generic as it is already, they need everything they can get to make it appealing. Some of the effects that were there when it first opened were actually kind of cool and distracted somewhat from the half-butted conversion they did from Scooby-doo. Now, it's just nothing. The only reason for me to ride it now is just to see what kind of score I can get. I could care less about the characters and the backgrounds. That, to me, is a problem.

4. I'd be happy with anything else at this point.

• Like 4

I was 11 when PT opened I was kinda upset over The Smurfs being taken out. I was kinda scared my friend at the time told me what PT was like when we returned to school that following autumn. I will be honest I don't like Boo Blasters at all it isn't very scary or unique. I wish Cedar Fair would do something unique why not put in a Great Pumpkin dark ride? After all it is (sorta) in Planet Snoopy.

• Like 5

I mostly missed out on PT.  Sometime when I was young, it was converted into the Smurf Enchanted voyage, by the time it was PT, I had outgrown Planet Snoopy (though I'm pretty sure I rode it a couple of times, mainly for the airconditioning), now that I have young kids of my own, its Boo Blasters.

I can't honestly compare PT to Boo Blasters, so I won't even attempt, but I do know that my 5 year old loves Boo Blasters, has loved it since he was 3 and even though he grew tall enough to ride The Beast, Vortex, Drop Tower, etc... last season, he still rides Boo Blasters as often as he rides The Beast.  My original fear was that it would scare him, but that has never been an issue, nor was it an issue when our 1.5 year old daughter rode it for the first (and so far, only) time late last season.  I see many young kids in line, I've waited outside the building many times w/ my daughter while my wife and son rode and never I have I seen a kid come off that ride crying because they were scared.

Calibrate each and every gun and make sure they all work.  When you enter the ride, seems like the blaster furtherst away from the Que works the best while the one closest to the que doesnt work as well.  Are the guns broke, or are they miss aimed?  Having some sort of laser pointer that would indicate when on the target you are aiming would be nice, don't know if that is a safey issue w/ people pointing them as people's eyes.

I have no proof of this, or if my eyes were just decieving me, but it seems like they spruced things up a bit around halloween last season.  Maitanence on the props is probalby minimal, but they do need some sprucing up from time to time.

I'd add more props to the game, even if they are not targetable.  Perhaps some "inside humor" making fun of Don or other long time KI or CF employees.

I can't see anything on the scale of what Disney or Univeral has done, I'd imagine the payoff just doesn't work out for a seasonal park that is mostly filled w/ regional guests that visit the park multiple times a year. I think I read the Wonderland project came in under $10 mil?  That's a nice price point for Cedar Fair's parks.

Speaking of Wonderland, if that project is a success, and I suspect that it will be, I absolutely expect something like that to move into that building.  Don't forget, there is a lot of room in that building that goes mostly "unused" outside of storage and a haunt during the fall, so there is room to make something even longer than Boo Blaster's currently is should they have the desire.  Since the indication from Wonderland's project was that their ride would be able to run several different programs, could be altered at minimal costs, etc... I suspect that there is the possibility that they could run something more "kid friendly" during the day and switch it over to more adult oriented or scarier at night during the Haunt (when Planet Snoopy is closed down)

This is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read ha ha. I really hope we get something similar to Canada's Wonderland's newest attraction some time in the next 8 years :)

I mostly missed out on PT.  Sometime when I was young, it was converted into the Smurf Enchanted voyage, by the time it was PT, I had outgrown Planet Snoopy (though I'm pretty sure I rode it a couple of times, mainly for the airconditioning), now that I have young kids of my own, its Boo Blasters.

I can't honestly compare PT to Boo Blasters, so I won't even attempt, but I do know that my 5 year old loves Boo Blasters, has loved it since he was 3 and even though he grew tall enough to ride The Beast, Vortex, Drop Tower, etc... last season, he still rides Boo Blasters as often as he rides The Beast.  My original fear was that it would scare him, but that has never been an issue, nor was it an issue when our 1.5 year old daughter rode it for the first (and so far, only) time late last season.  I see many young kids in line, I've waited outside the building many times w/ my daughter while my wife and son rode and never I have I seen a kid come off that ride crying because they were scared.

Calibrate each and every gun and make sure they all work.  When you enter the ride, seems like the blaster furtherst away from the Que works the best while the one closest to the que doesnt work as well.  Are the guns broke, or are they miss aimed?  Having some sort of laser pointer that would indicate when on the target you are aiming would be nice, don't know if that is a safey issue w/ people pointing them as people's eyes.

I have no proof of this, or if my eyes were just decieving me, but it seems like they spruced things up a bit around halloween last season.  Maitanence on the props is probalby minimal, but they do need some sprucing up from time to time.

I'd add more props to the game, even if they are not targetable.  Perhaps some "inside humor" making fun of Don or other long time KI or CF employees.

I can't see anything on the scale of what Disney or Univeral has done, I'd imagine the payoff just doesn't work out for a seasonal park that is mostly filled w/ regional guests that visit the park multiple times a year. I think I read the Wonderland project came in under $10 mil?  That's a nice price point for Cedar Fair's parks.

Speaking of Wonderland, if that project is a success, and I suspect that it will be, I absolutely expect something like that to move into that building.  Don't forget, there is a lot of room in that building that goes mostly "unused" outside of storage and a haunt during the fall, so there is room to make something even longer than Boo Blaster's currently is should they have the desire.  Since the indication from Wonderland's project was that their ride would be able to run several different programs, could be altered at minimal costs, etc... I suspect that there is the possibility that they could run something more "kid friendly" during the day and switch it over to more adult oriented or scarier at night during the Haunt (when Planet Snoopy is closed down)

Also, I didnt realize that ride was that inexpensive. I expected it to cost MUCH more.

The skeleton scene near the end of the ride is plenty scary for the younger guests. Also, Boo Blasters is NOT, nor has it ever been, a part of Planet Snoopy.

I agree with the skeletons being scary enough. They still creep me out ha ha. I apologize for not knowing for certain which area it was considered to be situated in (Rivertown or Planet Snoopy). That's one of those strange rides I was unsure of, like the log flume, which I know is considered to be in Rivertown, which makes no sense to me, but eh oh well :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The skeleton scene near the end of the ride is plenty scary for the younger guests. Also, Boo Blasters is NOT, nor has it ever been, a part of Planet Snoopy.

I agree with the skeletons being scary enough. They still creep me out ha ha. I apologize for not knowing for certain which area it was considered to be situated in (Rivertown or Planet Snoopy). That's one of those strange rides I was unsure of, like the log flume, which I know is considered to be in Rivertown, which makes no sense to me, but eh oh well :)

Actually, the log flume is considered a part of Planet Snoopy. :)
  • Like 4

love Phantom theater they took 2 iconic rides (out ) the fantastic voyage, then smurfs removed the water, but built a high quality ride that was great.(more disney) less cardboard. Then built shootemup, style ride where its great as scooby, boring as boo to me my opinion, but then what KI needs a relaxing non shootemup ride, where it can change every 2 to 5 years (like Canadas wonderland with new technology), love the new head of Cedar Fair.

• Like 2

Actually, the log flume is considered a part of Planet Snoopy. :)

Mind=blown

Was almost positive it was considered Rivertown for some reason that makes absolutely no sense to me.

• Like 2

love Phantom theater they took 2 iconic rides (out ) the fantastic voyage, then smurfs removed the water, but built a high quality ride that was great.(more disney) less cardboard. Then built shootemup, style ride where its great as scooby, boring as boo to me my opinion, but then what KI needs a relaxing non shootemup ride, where it can change every 2 to 5 years (like Canadas wonderland with new technology), love the new head of Cedar Fair.

• Like 1

I like classic haunted houses, not the new found "lazer pointy things" that we see today. PT was special on the fact that it played like the Haunted Mansion, it was a spoof off of a scary idea towards the family. PT was a classic, that sadly I forget if I ever ventured into the place. Though, I do like lively props, not those of the wooden cut out kind. I have an certain liking to these attractions, I really do, but BBOBH just doesn't cut up to any kind to the classic. I do hope that with the nostalgic movement, and the more "hauntified" feeling to KI with 2014, our PT can return. With that, you also have to understand that BBOBH can never be in the same category, that is due to the course being half of what it was previously.

BB1, looking at this engagement ring stuck in the ground.

• Like 8

^

A post so nice, he made it twice.

And years ago, Flume was in Rivertown, and before that, at Coney Island of Ohio.

Oh ok. I may not have even been alive "years ago", but as stated, yeah, I was almost postive it is/was Rivertown. Again, sorry for the double flaw :)

I like classic haunted houses, not the new found "lazer pointy things" that we see today. PT was special on the fact that it played like the Haunted Mansion, it was a spoof off of a scary idea towards the family. PT was a classic, that sadly I forget if I ever ventured into the place. Though, I do like lively props, not those of the wooden cut out kind. I have an certain liking to these attractions, I really do, but BBOBH just doesn't cut up to any kind to the classic. I do hope that with the nostalgic movement, and the more "hauntified" feeling to KI with 2014, our PT can return. With that, you also have to understand that BBOBH can never be in the same category, that is due to the course being half of what it was previously.

The course? Half the cars were removed, but the course?

Terp, who likes to ask questions

• Like 1

If I am correct, which I believe I am, the CarnEvil attraction was once the PT course. I could be wrong, and communications on my part, on the course and the cars, but that is what I knew prior to the topic.

I was around 3 when i first rode Phantom Theater and I absolutely loved it. It will always have a special place in my heart. I enjoy dark rides that I can sit back and take in all the scenery much more than these shooting dark rides. I really hope Wonderland's project works out well so we can get a similar attraction, and I think it will. With the addition of Banshee I doubt a thrill ride will be our next attraction so something like this would be perfect.

• Like 1

If I am correct, which I believe I am, the CarnEvil attraction was once the PT course. I could be wrong, and communications on my part, on the course and the cars, but that is what I knew prior to the topic.

It wasn't.

• Like 5

Tomb Raider: The Ride > Ghostwood Estates, Phantom Theater, and Boo Blasters. ;)

I only remember exiting Phantom Theater crying because I was so afraid of it the time I rode it. However, I have heard most of the audio from that ride, and Coasterbob has fantastic clips of it over on his YouTube channel. That ride looks like it was really something unique, but the animatronics seem like they were a little limited for making the whole idea of ghosts haunting an old theater seem immersive. The audio and room decorations do way more for me than any of the characters themselves. I'd love to see Cedar Fair use the Canada's Wonderland system to reimagine Phantom Theater using modern video, etc. Just don't make it exceedingly cartoony.

• Like 8

I personally would prefer to see an entirely new story line, something that doesn't involve PT at all. However, if we do get something like what Canada's Wonderland is getting, then I can't complain, regardless of what story line they choose, new, slightly reused, or entirely reused.

• Like 3

Although I've come to appreciate it through reading about it here on the forums, I wasn't overly impressed with PT. I remember some friends and I came upon it sometime during the mid '90's (I was around 20 at the time), and tried it out. It was definitely unique, but to me, it just seemed really out of place. It seemed too dark and depressing to be in an amusement park, although I've come to understand that was its theme.

As for what's in there now, I think it's horribly half-a#$ed. I think it's a glaring fault in the middle of a world-class park full of world-class attractions.

BTW, PT is the first thing I ever rode in that building. I did ride EV once, but I was too young to remember it.

• Like 3

I wish it could be re-themed all together. The ride is exceedingly generic and it looks too cheap and cheesy. I think since there are an abundance of Peanuts themed things through out sections of the park, incorporating that would be cool. It would not have to be scary at all, but incorporating different classic Peanut shows/TV movies/cartoons would make it fun. It would be cool. (I love Snoopy!)

I think changing it from anamatronics or some kind if flat looking "things" a children's theater could have created, to more of a interactive 3D video could be sweet. For example, having to hit a certain number of targets to get Charlie Brown to run to kick the ball (or he would fall on his back), or make Snoopy dance (twerk). Even having a regular season ride then a Haunt themed ride in the evenings would rock. Not sure if the expense it would be, however it would be easier to change the theme as the park changes.

I will say I miss the Smurfs. The Enchanted Voyage was amazing and I miss that. Once they took out those things, it became mediocre. The Scooby Doo theme even was not up to where it should have been. It's lost a lot of it's charm.

I have to add we still ride it most visits. We take blasting serious. I almost always beat Katie in points when riding. We are serious when it comes to getting the highest score. It teeters on a violent ride when we are on it. We're out for blood.

Also, the pic below of my son refused to ride the ride because he was terrified of it. We were waiting on a friend of mine who apparently has children that are more brave. :)

Edit: forgot to add the pic. From my phone it won't allow me to change it.

• Like 6

Phantom Theater's quality probably played into its demise. Full-motion animatronics are a lot to deal with, especially since (to my recollection?) no other Paramount Park had a classic dark ride left at the time.

As for Boo Blasters, I think a Great Pumpkin dark ride would've been great. Sally's style lends well to the very simple, geometric style of the Peanuts, and their bright 2D cutouts are very appropriate for the Peanuts world.

Maybe in Ouimet had come along 5 years earlier, we'd have it. He doesn't seem scared of local flavor or local park traditions. He's embracing history and going for "best day of the year" experiences. The last CEO seemed hellbent on unification (except in functional Platinum Pass computer entry systems) and probably saw a chain-wide rollout of "Boo Blasters" as equally economic and marketing-friendly. I think if the transition from Scooby were happening now, we might see a Peanuts ride... Why not? Best Kids Area in the World, right?

• Like 7